Free Member
Feb 16, 2013
Ferndown, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1985
Hi does anyone know whether you can just turn up at the tunnel on the way back from France or is pre booking essential. We are not sure exactly what date we want to come back and would like to be able to travel up and maybe book from a couple of days away ?

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
If it's a quiet time of year you could turn and pay then but it will be more expensive.

Personally I would always book a bit in advance as they are very flexible with amendments (at least 24 hours before departure I think), you just pay the diffference in ticket price.

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Slightly OT some insurers insist on a return booking or the insurance is invalid. Check your policy. We always book a random return journey and change it when we've decided on a date to come home.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
We usually book online about 2 or 3 days ahead once we have the dogs vet visit sorted. The fares seem to go up if you leave it until the day before. Have fun ....

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Staysure do, brought to our notice by another Funster. We'll be looking to change when it comes up for renewal.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We tend to book the return about a week a head because we have to fact in get the dog sorted.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Staysure do, brought to our notice by another Funster. We'll be looking to change when it comes up for renewal.
Think that was probably me, we had been with staysure two years and regularly went to Europe with no return booked, then one rainy night somewhere in France and nothing better to do than read the small print on the insurance policy , and lo and behold we hadn't been insured for two years effectively so we now book any cheapo date and then change it useually a couple of days before return.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
You are likely to pay a very big premium if you just turn up at Eurotunnel without a reservation. But booking a couple of days or so before you want to return should get you a reasonable price.

I like the fact you can either book online, or just check the prices on their website and then book on the phone if you prefer. All straightforward, whichever way you choose.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We use Staysure and, yes, they do want you to book a return ticket. Fine by us as we use Tesco vouchers and you can't use them for a return trip only. If necessary it's very easy to change the booking, although there often will be a premium (nothing to do with the Tesco scheme).

But another reason is that Staysure were very good now I'm over 66 - others didn't want to know or quoted an extortionate premium.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back