Tunisia Terrorism Attacks Affects Moroccan Tourism Sector: Minister

Discussion in 'Morocco' started by scotjimland, Jul 10, 2015.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

The terror attack that left 38 people dead in Sousse is considered not only a blow to Tunisia’s tourism industry, but also to countries in the region with tourism-driven economies such as Morocco.

http://www.moroccoworldnews.com/201...cks-affects-moroccan-tourism-sector-minister/

According to daily newspaper Al Sabah, Moroccan authorities have raised the terror alert level after gunmen in Tunisia killed and injured tens of people, mostly tourists, who were visiting the Bardo Museum, a popular attraction among tourists for its collections of archeological artifacts and Roman mosaics.

http://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2015/03/154543/morocco-high-alert-terrorist-attacks-tunisia/

Of course this is the ultimate aim of terror attacks in Tunisia, to destroy tourism which will throw hundreds if not thousands into unemployment.. thereby fuelling unrest and fuelling further attacks..

The Tunisia ambassador said this on Newsnight..

"One of the sources of terrorism is lack of hope. It is not the only motor of it but it is one of the very important origins or causes of it"http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-33473965

Thousands of British holidaymakers are to be flown home from Tunisia following warnings that another terrorist attack in the country is "highly likely".
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33473433

Clearly there is an increased risk in travel to all Muslim countries, .. but the risk level has also been raised in the UK , the current threat from international terrorism is assessed as severe..

https://www.mi5.gov.uk/home/the-threats/terrorism/threat-levels.html

Has anyone changed their minds, or cancelled their plans to visit Morocco. ?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  2. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

You wouldn't have got me there before all the scummy things Isis have been doing. I have been as a child , 4 times in fact, to Tunisia and Morocco .
    I never felt safe back then. I certainly wouldn't now.
    I don't think it helped us being kidnapped by a taxi driver and taken to his families carpet store , in the middle of nowhere. My father having to get very forceful and insisting us be taken back to the holiday hotel.
    Or the way the men perved over my blond haired blue eyed younger brother.
    Or the pool man slinging poisoned cats , by their tails into a giant wheel barrow , before breakfast one morning.
    Or a man getting hold of my hand in a market place and trying to walk off with me.
    My parents gave it a good go. But each time we went one of the above happened !! I suppose 35 + years ago it may have been different..........
    I know lots of funsters really enjoy the experience . The pictures were fantastic that were posted. But no , especially with the present climate. I shall be staying clear of any predominantly Muslim country.

• Like Like x 8
  3. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

I have no desire to visit that part of the world and haven't for a while.
    I feel sorry for the genuine Tunisian people and the Moroccans who are going to lose out to terrorism.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Granjan

Granjan Funster

I would agree with @Ralph-n-Bev, I was followed down a main road in Bodrum by an older man with a machette making gestures that he would like to chop off my head, my husband and male friends following saw it, he may have been a lunatic and most of the people were lovely and the country amazing but I can't be bothered with the stress of it and I will steer clear of muslim countries for a while.

There are too many nutters out there looking for 5 mins of fame .... To be honest I wouldn't give the names out of the people who do any of these selfish acts I don't see why they should achieve any type of fame for what they do. They are just murderous scum bags.

Any young person known to have joined their ranks should loose their liberty in this country, the doors to seek asylum in Europe should be closed now.

They have there own problems in thses countries but they must start to solve them internally or we will all be dragged down. I am not opposed to foreign aid and give generously, but I value my freedom.

• Like Like x 6
  5. scotjimland

We enjoyed our trip in 2007 and would like to re visit .. it is an amazing country .. so many contrasts..
    I loved the High Atlas mountains, and all places south .. but not the busy tourist places like Marrakesh, which I thought was only one step away from a public convenience.. certainly smelled that way.. hated it.

But with so much of Europe and Scandinavia yet to explore, I doubt we will ever go back.. which is sad.. for it is giving in to the terrorist .. whether the risk is real or imagined.. doesn't matter.. perception is everything.

For winter sun Morocco unrivalled.. and probably the main reason many visit in winter.. but in saying that , southern Spain and Algarve isn't too sad in winter.. I'll just pack an extra jersey.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

We've been to dozens of Muslim countries and for the most part been treated very well. Experienced wonderful hospitality from very generous people who usually are very poor compared to us. The exception to this was Dubai a place we hated. On the other hand my favourite is Iran just because the people were so nice.
    However the way the world is at the moment we would probably not visit a Muslim country.
    Such a shame we can't just live in peace without all this hatred.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Portland

Portland Funster

We have set our hearts to revisiting after a brilliant visit there in 2014. However in view of what is going on we will have to give it much thought and see what our friends intend to do.:(:(

• Like Like x 3
  8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I agree but in the end the solution is - and must be - in the hands of those very people. Either they allow terrorists to rule their countries of they elect adequate governments which will overcome the terrorists. It is logically no different from beating gangs like the border reivers in this country.

• Like Like x 5
  9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Morocco is a police/military state with huge number of men in uniforms always stopping and searching. However a suicide bomber can so easily do his/her job anywhere, any time. It's only when they start getting organised they start leaving trails, as they seem to do in the UK.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I don't think that they have much say in the matter. For centuries, invading armies have advanced West from Egypt, used Libya as a toilet, and moved on towards Spain through Tunisia, which is just what ISIS are doing right now. Moorish pirates used the country to prey of European shipping back in the 14th, 15th and 16th centuries, only being curtailed by The Knights of St John, after the siege of Malta, and so history will be repeated. Tunisia will be long forgotten once ISIS and their underlings invade Spain.

• Like Like x 2
  11. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

We were in Tunisia in January and apart from lack of shops couldnt really fault it. Very good value for money but wont be rushing back soon.

12. hilldweller

Oh s**T, we'll never get a pitch in Villasol then.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Tootles

Tootles Funster

You might Brian, but it may be a permanent one!
    You only have to see the results in Southern Spain from the Moorish previous land grab attempt. In fact, you can see just how far they got by the architecture.......(y)

14. scotjimland

Kensington ?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Sas r us

Sas r us Funster

Been to Morocco a few times and was ok, been to Tunisia many times and had some great holidays last new year was last time we went and I would certainly go again, good value.... You can get shot, stabbed or blown up in any city in the world.... I for one would rather take my chances in Tunisia than London...

What are we all going to do ? Stay in doors and let the bastards win....!

• Like Like x 4
  16. hilldweller

To the best of my knowledge those were the best days of southern Spain, the inquisition moved in after them. Any race who could build the Alhambra gets my vote.

• Like Like x 1
  17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Yes Dave, I understand the history - but that doesn't alter the point. Either they accept its continuance or they do something about it. If they accept its continuance they can not also expect to have a thriving tourist industry or support of any other kind from outside their borders. As with every other country, it's their responsibility.

18. Tootles

Tootles Funster

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: The inquisition was Play School compared to the Christian Genocide carried out by Suleiman The First in Europe, (Spain, Austria, Italy, Crete, Greece, Malta).

19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Perhaps the police/military state wants to start becoming more effective then :)

20. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

do you mean the Monty Python version of the inquisition? They were really lovely!:D

• Like Like x 2