Tugger watching ;)

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by CandC, Oct 23, 2015.

1. CandC

CandC Funster Life Member

We're on site for the weekend as today is an inset day at little c's school and I fancied a trip away. We arrived last night, just after sunset. About a minute after that, the gas was on, closely followed by the kettle (y)

So far today, we've explored the site, played in the park and played table tennis. Now I'm sitting in the van with a coffee and observing the time honoured tradition of tugger watching. I never thought it could be as funny as its followers made out! It is!!!

Tugger A
    Arrived 3 hours ago. Reversed onto pitch, checked pitch number. Drove onto second pitch. Went too far. Reversed. Checked pitch number. Drove along road, checking pitch numbers. Reversed onto pitch number 3. Shuffled about a bit. Unhitched. Did steadies. Two hours ago they started on the awning just as we headed off to play tt. They finished 15 mins ago. He's been rummaging about in lockers for a while now and I've just seen a satellite dish... That's this afternoon's entertainment sorted :rofl: on second thoughts, maybe we'll go swimming instead and see how they're getting on when we come out :D

Tugger B
    Not nearly as much fun.... They went straight to their pitch, reversed on and unhitched. Then they hitched up again, reversed into the ehu, pulled forward again and unhitched. Next they did the steadies, grey waste trolley and aquaroll. All over in about 20 minutes :(

Anyway, if anyone's at Hendra this weekend and fancies a coffee or beer and some tugger watching, send me a pm :clap2:

• Like Like x 10
  2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Not half as much fun as watching a front wheel drive chugger getting stuck in the mud ..

now that is worth watching... hope the weather stays fine ;)

• Like Like x 4
  3. CandC

CandC Funster Life Member

Thanks... For the laugh and the good weather wishes :)

4. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

I spent many years caravanning but was luckier than most as I had a farming upbringing so learned to reverse trailers when I was still under 10yrs old. The result of this is that the caravan never phased me & I spent a while teaching my wife to reverse her horse trailer & the caravan too, she took to it like a duck to water. Very often she would get a round of applause as she parked up first go & with millimetre perfection! However, we always loved getting onto a site on a friday afternoon & this would allow us to settle back for the evening show of other caravans arriving on site. It always provided much hilarity & was always good exercise for the chuckle muscles.

5. GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

At Hawkshead a couple of weeks ago we had a (very) elderly couple with the smallest caravan turn up next to us about 11.00am. it took until 12.10 for them to get this caravan onto the hardstanding (which are large there). It was so small I could have picked it up and dropped it in place with one hand.

The wife's hand signals to "help" with reversing had us rolling on the floor!

• Like Like x 4
  6. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Then no one mentioned the commencement of the tap tap tapping for an hour

• Like Like x 1
  7. big bertha

big bertha Funster

Suppose it doesn't matter if it takes longer as they probably stay longer. Quite tempted to go back to tugging, never felt tempted to laugh at anyone.

• Like Like x 6
  8. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Whilst the antics of others can be amusing, it goes for tuggers and Motorhomes alike. The ones I sometimes do feel tempted to laugh at are those who have modern units with toilets and showers but prefer to trip the light fantastic in their dressing gowns across a campsite in the peeing rain to use a toilet and shower someone else has just vacated. Not that I use campsites often, hardly ever actually but it seems whenever I do the "bog runners" seem to be about.

Each to their own I suppose.

• Like Like x 10
  9. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

Does my head in- especially if you've just pitched up after a long drive, sat in the sun ... and then the tapping starts !
    Top tip: Hit it, don't k'in tap it !! If you're tapping it, the hammer ain't big enough ;)
    Either that, or buy a Hilti gun and do the job in a minute (y)

• Like Like x 2
  10. golly

golly Funster

I've had caravans in the past, still have a trailer that I use with the car, ashamed to say I still cant reverse it round a corner with any accuracy to save my life :doh:. I know the theory, but get brain freeze :wub:

• Like Like x 4
  11. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Anthropologists in training could do a Uni thesis on the machinations of caravan folks antics...bunch of nutters:D

12. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Plotted up at the CCC site near Scarborough
    Late in the afternoon a small motorhome pulls in opposite us
    After a few minutes the lady emerges with a tiny watering can ( the type used for indoor plants ) and walks the 50 or so yards to the tap

Thought that was the end of it until upon her return the chap gotr out and took the cap off the water tank
    For more than an hour she trudged back and forth filling the tank up with her one litre pot !
    I did offer my rolly polly and pump after watching for ten minutes but she assured me she was quite happy.. It was their first outing with their new van etc etc..

The following day they put away the chairs, unhooked the EHU and opened the valve on the water tank to drain it all away again !!!

• Like Like x 9
  13. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

[QUOTE="iandsm, The ones I sometimes do feel tempted to laugh at are those who have modern units with toilets and showers but prefer to trip the light fantastic in their dressing gowns across a campsite in the peeing rain to use a toilet and shower someone else has just vacated.

I agree , I can't understand dressing gowns etc,
    but the other thing I can't quite understand is taking all your washing up to the communal washing up area, ( we've all got full kitchen facilities, Haven't we ) I can see why if you don't want the gunge going into your waste tank, but still find it a strange habit !!!

• Like Like x 6
  14. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Yup me too, I don't compromise on the comforts I have at home when away for months at a time. Perhaps the bog trotters and wash up trotters think they have paid for it so they are damnwell going to use it,however inconvenient, cold and messy it may be. Or perhaps they think they might get a little more money for unused sinks showers and toilets when they trade in. Good luck with that

• Like Like x 3
  15. Abacist

Abacist Funster

I can remember years ago staying at a french camp site and a huge English Motorhome turned up with a very posh family and kids. They all had white fluffy monogrammed dressing gowns to traipse backwards and forwards to the toilet block. They looked quite out of place but were obviously enjoying themselves so good luck to them.

16. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

We would use this facility if we are in a sunny clime, on a site with good washing up facilities with plenty of hot water.. why not.. especially with a big load of dirty pots and BBQ stuff to scrub... otherwise no

• Like Like x 9
  17. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Just tip your washing up bowl over next doors pitch.

Problem sorted(y)

• Like Like x 3
  18. Clickem

Clickem Funster

"communal washing up areas" are a very good place to meet and chat to people - especially men

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 6
  19. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    Love the smell of burning clutches and the sound of cooling fans and over revving engines as the motorhomes try and get level on the ramps:).........as i sit under my awning having a nice cold beer:)

• Like Like x 6
  20. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    Those of us that came into vanning via tents had no alternative to using the site facilities, except for a shovel(don't think that would go down too well on most sites:) ).

I personally find it strange to not use the site facilities when you are paying for them, never ever use a dressing gown though!!.......strictly au naturel:rofl:

It would be interesting to know how many motorhome owners started off as tent campers and how this correlates with the use of site facilities.

• Like Like x 5