Tubular Heater - what wattage?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Nigel&Debbie, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie Read Only Funster

Looking to get a tubular heater to keep the chill off the motor home over the winter. We have a 7.6m autotrail dakota. What size / wattage would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for replies

Nigel

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Personally I wouldn't heat a van.. it's not required and if the heater goes on fire.. your insurance won't pay out.. I know it's a very small risk.. but it it one worth taking for little or no benefit ?

To protect from frost damage, drain down the hot and cold lines, fresh and waste tanks.. leave the taps and drains open.. not forgetting the shower mixer.. drain the hot water tank.. Leave the locker doors open.. make sure there is adequate ventilation and you won't have any problems..

I also have the EHU cable connected and put the battery on charge for a coupe of days every two weeks or so..

That's what I do .. others will say otherwise..

3. bungy

bungy Funster

or..if you have EHU (guessing you do as you'd need it to run the tubular heater!!)

just leave your heating on its lowest setting...but still open cupboards etc

4. Al-Di

Al-Di Funster

Thanks guys I was looking at 1 of these, but will go with drain down option(y)

5. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

I use a 60W tubular heater & a de-humidifier. Still drain down though.

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

We have a 60w tube heater in the downstairs karzy.

Makes a lovely hand warmer if you wrap your hands round it but as a room heater....dream on.

If 60w was any good simply leave the light on...chances are its also 60w.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Had a low wattage greenhouse heater in our caravan few years ago as constantly on added £100 to electric bill in one winter! Replaced with cheapie Tesco oil filled radiator & kept on frost setting so would only cut in when really cold & dehumidifier set to cut in when quite damp - much lower running costs & kept it dry & aired. Didn't feel the need to use either in the motorhome last winter as stored in a better well drained spot & it has plenty of ventilation built in which worked even under cover as it's a breatheable one(y)

8. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Typo - it's 600W with a frost 'stat :oops:

9. greygit

greygit Read Only Funster

We are always on EHU as the van is in the drive, so we just set the heating on low and forget about it, stops the boiler auto drain tap kicking in as well, mind you for the worst three months of the year were in Spain. :)

10. Inthezone

Inthezone Read Only Funster

Hi we use a 200 watt tubular heater over the winter with a timer, set to come on about 4 am and off around 10 am we have found that it reduces the damp cold feel of our 2nd home, regardless of if you need it or not we find it keeps the van ready to go as we use it all year round and occaisionally when were not using it I will put the air contitioner on at 23degrees for a couple of hours just to "warm the fabric of the van" there is no science behind it its just what we do - hope this helps