Try before you buy? (1 Viewer)

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
Two quick questions please (this place is proving addictive and I really shouldn't be here!)

Has anyone else got experience of try before you buy deals - if so, which dealers, how did it go, was it any more worthwhile than just renting one from somewhere random (wouldn't mind rental recs too, if anyone has any!).

How would I search this forum to find other people's previous posts on this - I keep getting zero results via the Advanced Search function thing (though I guess it could just never have been mentioned before...?!) I don't want to be the newbie who keeps asking done-to-death questions, so help me avoid demonstrating my incompetence ::bigsmile:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi

The forum is for asking questions so carry on. I'm not aware of any try before you buy schemes other than renting.

I cant see a dealer allowing a mh out for somebody to try on the off chance that they may buy it, but then I could be wrong.

There could be all soughts of issues like Insurance, Warranties, Resonsibily for damage and the affect on sale price of the mh if you dont decide to buy, etc etc.

I havent seen any threads on the forum on a try before you buy scheme.

Best Of Luck

Jim
:Smile:

OP
OP
W

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
:Smile: I was starting to wonder whether I had made this up, but google tells me that Lowdhams do it Link Removed, as do Marquis.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
:Smile: I was starting to wonder whether I had made this up, but google tells me that Lowdhams do it Link Removed, as do Marquis.

Hi
I had a look at the Lowdham ad an this is a hire/rental inducement. All that you are getting is a week free on a rental deal. They probabley put the cost of the weekly rental fees up to pay for it. :whatthe:

Thats the way I read it anyhow. Give them a ring and ask them.

Jim

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi
I had a look at the Lowdham ad an this is a hire/rental inducement. All that you are getting is a week free on a rental deal. They probabley put the cost of the weekly rental fees up to pay for it. :whatthe:

Thats the way I read it anyhow. Give them a ring and ask them.

Jim

yep!!! thats how i read it as well.

hire a van for a week or more then if you do buy they will reduce the purchase price of a new van by the cost of the hire period.

still got to pay for the hire period up front though in case you dont buy later...dont know their hire prices but id say maybe £500 per week.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Not sure of any in your area ( there are ones down here!) - i know marquis use abacus rentals for try before you buy Link Removed

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I like Marquis of Preston in Lancs very much. That is where we got our Buccaneer from in December.

Ivy

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
The op believes that try before you buy is a different thing to rental. It isnt, its exactley the same thing with a different spin on it.

Jim

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
yep!!! thats how i read it as well.

hire a van for a week or more then if you do buy they will reduce the purchase price of a new van by the cost of the hire period.

still got to pay for the hire period up front though in case you dont buy later...dont know their hire prices but id say maybe £500 per week.

Still a good idea I.M.O. If you can afford to do it that is.
If you think you want a certain MH. Haven't had any experience motorhoming , or not sure about a particular layout? Then hire the same model as your contemplating buying.
It would certainly stop you making an expensive mistake , if you couldn't get on with it.
I think you'd know after a week staying in it. I would anyway.
The fact they will knock the price off if you buy a MH from them is a bonus. Unless the prices are inflated to cover this prospect in the first place, that is. Would they knock the same amount off a second hand one too , or would it have to be a new one, i wonder.
Bev

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Would they knock the same amount off a second hand one too , or would it have to be a new one, i wonder.
Bev
think the answers here....

Order any new or used motorhome from Lowdham within 3 months of hiring a motorhome from Go Motorhome Hire and get one week’s hire cost off the screen price.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Still a good idea I.M.O. If you can afford to do it that is.
If you think you want a certain MH. Haven't had any experience motorhoming , or not sure about a particular layout? Then hire the same model as your contemplating buying.
It would certainly stop you making an expensive mistake , if you couldn't get on with it.
I think you'd know after a week staying in it. I would anyway.
The fact they will knock the price off if you buy a MH from them is a bonus. Unless the prices are inflated to cover this prospect in the first place, that is. Would they knock the same amount off a second hand one too , or would it have to be a new one, i wonder.
Bev

Hi Bev, the point is that whatever they want to call it, it is still a rental/hire deal. I also think that hiring the mh that you are thinking of buying is a good idea if you have no experience.

Jim

OP
OP
W

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
It wasn't so much that I thought it was different to normal rental, more that it seemed like a good idea and an opportunity to practice on the right sort of MH "for free", kinda.

I was curious as to whether anyone had tried doing it that way and hit snags, and whether any first time purchasers on here had done a test run of a week away in a hired MH similar to the one they eventually bought and loved or loathed it, and perhaps whether people felt that if they'd done a week's test run in the model they did eventually buy, they might not have bought it!

I've not come across Marquis of Preston before - that;s another one for this week's diary!!

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If you are new to motorhomes then it is a good idea to try before you buy, knowing that the cost will be knocked off the price.

If you want to try a layout and don't like it - then you are still in the same boat, so to speak, as the one you buy you won't have tested! lol! So make sure before you go - and if it is more about layout, rather than motorhome life, make sure you hire one with the same layout.

Gald to hear your local marquis have good reports, ours down here are a great bunch. They have 3 year warranty as standard now. I have used these warranties, and they are no quibble!

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
WE have done rebates of hire costs for years, standard part of our service, but you have to use one of our current hire vans.

It is really for newcomers to the leisure market who have never experienced motorhoming before.

It would not be possible to take one of our pre-owned sales vans and definately not a brand new van.

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back