LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Fellow MHer's A happy Christmas to you all and a prosperous and a wonderfull Motorhoming New Year.
Now that has got the formalities out of the way, before I blow up my heating system in my Motorhome, I was wondering if you good people could answer what I think to you knowlagable MHer's would be an easy question.
I have drained down my water tank as instructed by yourselves on another thread.
I did not do anything to the Truma system.
I have at the moment my MH connected to EHU, I need to know how this works, I have the instructions on how to work it when everything is ready to go i.e. water filled etc but there is no instructions of the working of this applience.
It does state if there is going to be risk of frost then drain the water down but does that mean the fresh water tank or is there a separate tank for the Truma.
What I want to do is, while I'm connected to EHU put the heating on, but i'm not sure I can do this while the fresh water tank is drained.
In other words to heat the MH does the Truma heat water then blow through a radiatior like a car or is it like a electric fire with an eliment and a fan blows over heated eliments down the heating duckting.
Hope this makes some sort of sense to you good people.
Many thanks to all who contribute to this thread.
Best Wishes Tony

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Hello to you, too.
You need to drain your Truma heater boiler. There will be a 'dump valve' not too far from the boiler. Once operated, the contents will drain away under neath your van. Also empty your tank (I think you've already done that). Open all taps and lower your shower head to let water drain out. Run the pump until no more water is pumped, then switch it off. No need to heat the van, but use EHU to top up batteries once a month.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
There will be a 'dump valve' not too far from the boiler.
Hi There rogher, thanks for that, I knew I did not explain myself clearly enough, as you have stated there should be a valve close to the Truma but I could not find one and others stated that it would automatically drain if the weather got cold enough so I did not worry about it.
since I did not drain the Truma can I still run the heating with the fresh water tank drained or do I have to fill that back up?
Many Thanks Tony

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
You can run the Truma with or without water in it, but why bother?
Don't rely on the auto dump. Find the valve an operate it, then run the pump to remover water from that too. Follow the piping around your boiler - the valve is usually quite close.

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Yes you can use the heater with out water in. As long as you only set your control to heating only.
If you google Truma C6002 EH and look at question and answers it will tale you.
What make and model Motorhome do you have. Someone may be able to tell you where you drain valve is for your heater.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
What make and model Motorhome do you have. Someone may be able to tell you where you drain valve is for your heater.
Thanks for that pops, my MH is a Autotrail cheyenne 840d SE and no apart from you good people I don't know anyone who is into MHing around me.
The truma is under the island bed I might see if I can get a pic of it to help you help me, if you know what I mean.
Many Thanks Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
You can run the Truma with or without water in it, but why bother?
I am connected to EHU at the moment and I have no way of filling up the water hence my question. I am not trying to winterize my MH I just wanted heat in it as I am working in it, and as I have not tried the heating on electirc since I've had the van I thought I might try it, also it's good to know what you can and can't do with your vehicle.
But I would like to find that pesky valve wherever it is.
Many Thanks Tony

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
The valve could be a manual yellow lift up lever to vertical to drain or an electric/manual black in colour, both should be near the heater or water pump. I wish I could post photos.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
The valve could be a manual yellow lift up lever to vertical to drain or an electric/manual black in colour, both should be near the heater or water pump. I wish I could post photos.
Thanks for that pops Ive been looking for a black electric valve, I have another look tomorrow.
Best Wishes
Tony

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Maybe I didn't understand this... but if you have your heating on... even using electric only heating there would be no need to drain anything. If you do drain the boiler as pointed out .. then you will probably drain your entire system.
Water isn't needed for the system to work.
Easiest way to find the dump valve is to follow the water pipe across the floor away from the boiler. It will stand out.
Btw on electric only heating... don't expect much ..

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Maybe I didn't understand this
Hi SDC77 it's not your fault, it's the way i've tried to explain it.
I'd already winterized my MH.
I have already drained the fresh water tank and opened the taps blown down the shower pipe etc and run the water pump for a few seconds to make sure it's clear. Put the covers on the vents etc.
I have recently managed to get electric to my MH and while It's in this condition with only EHU connected I was wondering if I could still run the heating on electric so I could air it out before doing anything else and by the replies I have so far it seems I can.
Many Thanks Tony

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
You can use the heater on gas and/or electric to warm it up in preparation for an outing without water in the tank.
You still need to find the dump valve, though. If it does 'trip' you'll need to reset it. If it has tripped, water will keep flowing out when you switch the pump on until you have reset it. Look underneath your van to see where it's coming from and the valve will most certainly be just above that.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
This is the automatic version,you'll need to open them to completely drain down the system.
image.jpeg

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Everybody thanks for all your replies. Ive found the offending valve and it's in the open position. I can't remember doing that, I think I must of had senior moment. Anyway started the Truma up on Gas and woking ok and then tried Elec and it is working as you good people said it would without water. I must say the fans which push the warm air through the MH is very weak, is there a way to increase their speed or is it what you see is what you get?
Many Thanks Tony

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Everybody thanks for all your replies. Ive found the offending valve and it's in the open position. I can't remember doing that, I think I must of had senior moment. Anyway started the Truma up on Gas and woking ok and then tried Elec and it is working as you good people said it would without water. I must say the fans which push the warm air through the MH is very weak, is there a way to increase their speed or is it what you see is what you get?
Many Thanks Tony

It only works at a lower level when on electric only - memory around 2kW

Put it on gas and it works at 4kW

gas and electric combined with give you full power. Not sure when the full fan operates but it will blow harder on full gas and electric

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
t only works at a lower level when on electric only - memory around 2kW

Put it on gas and it works at 4kW
Thanks Mike that info is good to know, i've looked through the manual and I did'nt find anything about that, what wood we do without Motorhome funsters :)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
See if you can get a manual for your boiler off the Truma web site.
On most, the speed of the fan is in proportion to the heat available. You don't want a cold draught and neither do you want to drain your battery unnecessarily.
Glad you found the valve!

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Do you have a thermostat setting within control Knobs, make sure its on highest setting.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Do you have a thermostat setting within control Knobs, make sure its on highest setting.
Hi jtp890 yes I have it's set to 9 the highest, it is warming the MH but very slowly, I think I would die of hyperthermia before the MH gets warm, bit of an exaggeration but you can see where I’m coming from. LOL
As rogher said it's probably proportional to the heat available, which I must say is not a lot.
and as MikeD said I think it will work better on gas and electric combined 4kw, I'll try that tomorrow.
Having said all that and to be fair to the MH it is a big area to heat, so perhaps I'm expecting too much!
Many Thanks Tony

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Were in van at present, gave bedroom up to one of the kids. We are on hook up truma set on 2 and we have int temp of 12, outside showing 3, suits us foe sleeping only.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Were in van at present, gave bedroom up to one of the kids. We are on hook up truma set on 2 and we have int temp of 12, outside showing 3, suits us foe sleeping only.
Where abouts in the country are you, and how long have you had it on HU running the Truma?
I agree about the sleeping I don't like it too warm, but then again not too cold as I have to make several trips in the night, if you know what I mean. LOL
I think also I would like day time living warmth about 21 - 22 deg.
Many Thanks Tony

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Electric is just a (poor) supplement to the gas. In Winter you must use gas to have enough heat to overcome the losses. Adding 'leccy will help a bit but will not cope on its own. If yours is a 4kW gas heater, that's more than twice what 'leccy can provide (you may even have a 6kW gas heater). Using both together will provide three (or four) times more heat.
Unless you heat the water first, you will need to be patient to get hot water. The water is on the outside and the heat comes from the centre, passing through the blown air chamber before reaching the water. While there is a heating demand very little heat will reach the water.
Hope that makes sense. Keep warm!

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Tony, just realised no one has mentioned insulated screen covers, ie silver screens though there are others. You need insulation on cab end or heat just drains out. Very heavy frost last night in west yorks.

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
You can also supplement trauma by using 240v oil filled rad or elelectric fan heater in van when on hook up.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Electric only will cope well to keep the van at its current temperature as long as you have heated it fully by gas. Then switch to electric to maintain the heat, We had a large frankia with the same boiler as you have and it coped just fine on electric.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I think I may have posted this before but for what it's worth we find once it gets below around 3C outside you really need the gas on as well. If you're on hook-up just use a fan heater or similar.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
You're never going to heat the van up on electric.
Were on top of a bleak hill in Durham (and have been for a month) and although we have full mains electric the only way to warm the van up properly is using gas.
We also have a small oil fired radiator which we intend to leave on all through the winter and as the van is warm we just leave the truma looking after the water. In a morning or if it gets chilly we give the place a blast on gas to bring it up to temp. Were trying to economise on gas so electric backed up by an oil filled rad is our way of dealing with it.
As you'll find though .. on gas and or gas electric the truma is pretty good.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Tony, just realised no one has mentioned insulated screen covers, ie
Yes good point, I'll have a Google and see what prices they are but seeing as it's just after Christmas the piggy bank is on the low side, but I think I might know of some going begging or at least a very low price. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back