LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok.. This one has got me a bit baffled..

As most of you know we have had the present van for 4 years.. When we bought it I had the Truma swapped out to a Trumatic C so we could heat the water with either gas or electric..

Just the way things work out, we have never, up until now, used the hot air blower on its own.. Always ( when off hook up ) switching to both water and blown air.. well a couple of mornings it has been a bit chilly so I have put the blown air on.

Seemed to work fine but this morning realised two things

We seemed to be using a fair bit of gas for just blown air, and lo ! The water is getting hot too.

Made sure the switch was in the correct place.. but as I leave the installation docs for all the various parts of the van at home, taking with us just operating info ( just in case ! ) I cannot check the wiring for the switch

Sooooooo

1) Anyone got a wiring diagram of a Trumatic C ( not one on the Truma web site that I could find )

2) Am I chasing fairies ? In other words is what it is doing normal ?

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
If you turned the gas tap halfway would that save you half the gas:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I tried that.. and tried turning the pig tail upside down.. then tried holding my nose with the water on but nothing altered the situation :Doh:

Update though.. Have now found the VERY uninformative installation docs.. As much help as a chocolate sausage in a swimming pool in fact !!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have the C4002E. Even on heating only the water does warm up slowly. It can get pretty hot over a prolonged period of use but not quite hot enough for a shower.. It is ok for pot washing and shaving etc though. This is normal operation and has been the same on my previous 3 vehicles.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thanks Karl..
Had a sneaky feeling that would be the case but good to have it confirmed to say the least !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Truma's C series heaters and the later combi units work by heating a central heat exchanger that is in direct contact with the water jacket therefore whenever the heater is used either in summer (water heating only) or winter (water and air heating) mode any water in the heater's tank will take heat from the heat exchanger and therefore heat up. It is the fact that the heat source, whether it be gas or electric, is only in contact with the heat exchanger and not the water tank directly that allows the unit to be used with no water in it.

d.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back