LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have a slight problem with my Truma gas heating system. It will ignite and run on the low setting but when I put it on the high speed setting it just blows cold air with no heat. Any suggestions before I attack it with spanners.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Dave. Its the Truma Trumatic e, and I think its the 4000 model.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I have a slight problem with my Truma gas heating system. It will ignite and run on the low setting but when I put it on the high speed setting it just blows cold air with no heat. Any suggestions before I attack it with spanners.

Get the spanners out.....you know you want to :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Sorry mate got one but never had any problem other than a dry joint.

All the best Rick

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am I the only one on here with a Truma or am I the only one thats had a problem with one. Come on now, it cant be rocket science.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Does logic say that with high pressure air flowing the burner is put out ? Leak - heating air <--> combustion air.

Sounds mighty unhealthy.

Or a simple faulty switch. Power to blower/slow + heat but other way just blower/high.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Does logic say that with high pressure air flowing the burner is put out ? Leak - heating air <--> combustion air.

Sounds mighty unhealthy.

Or a simple faulty switch. Power to blower/slow + heat but other way just blower/high.
Hi Brian, am a little confused with it as it works fine on the half heat setting but when I try it on the full heat setting all it does is blow cold. I would have thought if it was not igniting it would not blow hot at all. I tried starting it on the low setting, then switching it over to the high setting after it warmed up, but it just blows cold after its cooled down.
Thanks for the input though :thumb:.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Dave
I know nothing about these------but-----is it at all possible that the HIGH setting has a different gas solenoid valve---just a thought ????
Nigel & Pamala

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thanks Nigel, Am leaving it till tomorrow before attacking it just to see what suggestions I get regarding what could be wrong with it.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi Dave...

I know nothing about your heater and have never received a days "training" on them at all but...

I played around lots and lots with my Hymer Truma Heater (5002 I think. It has the double heat exchanger making it virtually two heaters side by side.) I found it very easy to work on... I fitted new double burners and had to strip down the new control valve and fit a bit from the old valve so the pipes would fit. Worked perfectly ever since.

I suspect one of the following with yours...

A partial blockage preventing full flow of gas thus it switches off when on fully open cos it hasn't got enough gas.

A faulty gas control valve.

Regulator restricting full gas flow.

Somehow (I can't see how) when the gas flows fully on the flame "misses" the thermocouple thingy and the supply switches off.

If it were mine I would get it out, connect it up to a gas supply, fire her up and watch what happens to the burning flames when you switch to full on...

But I am sure I haven't told you anything that you didn't know already... :winky:

JJ :Cool:

PS. I automatically assume you have tried "tapping" it with a small but perfectly formed hammer...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thanks JJ, Have just had a look at the heater in anticipation of attacking it tomorrow. I think I know the type you have, is it the one built into what I can best describe as a brown caravan type heater with two heat exchangers behind and two fans. If so that the same as I have in the FFB, but mine is completely different, its a big enclosed box under the couch with all the pipes running from it. It looks like I can get it out if I have to, but haven't a clue what to do with it then as all the controls are in a different place, unlike the ones built behind the fire, if you know what I mean.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I tried starting it on the low setting, then switching it over to the high setting after it warmed up, but it just blows cold after its cooled down.
Thanks for the input though :thumb:.

Then get your ear near the gas solenoid valve and get someone to do the above and listen if the valve drops out immediately, if it does then look at the switch. Are there any lights for clues, ours has an amber light when the gas is on.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Then get your ear near the gas solenoid valve and get someone to do the above and listen if the valve drops out immediately, if it does then look at the switch. Are there any lights for clues, ours has an amber light when the gas is on.
The red light comes on about 15 seconds after I turn it from low heat to high, indicating that the flame is not lit. The fan immediately speeds up when I switch over, but soon starts to blow cold.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Truma heaters that have two heat settings genrally do so via a dual solenoid gas valve giving a primary and secondary heat setting. It would certainly appear that the secondary solenoid or the gas valve it operates has failed. Best advice is to call Truma technical who are very helpful and will usually diagnose the fault over the phone in minutes if not seconds.

D.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thanks Dave, Will get onto Truma tomorrow. I know I could manage without the high setting or even without the gas heating altogether as I have the Eberspacher, but am of the opinion that if its there it should work.

1Oll

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class (German B Class!)
Exp
6+ years
Had one in my caravan.

I had a problem with a similar heater in a caravan a few years ago. It appeared to have the same problem, in fact when the fan was turned off the heater appeared to come on. Reason was there was a really large heat exchanger. When I realised this I soon found that it took around 15 minutes to get to full heat then the fan ducted heater would work really well. Ie when on full.
Not sure if this could be your problem.
B.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back