Truma MonoControl CS regulator and French gas bottles (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
@Dorset Diver-by "cracking the valve of the butane cylinder" what do you mean?
We have connected three different pigtails to the bottle only (i.e. Leaving the other end of the pigtail unconnected) and get gas running freely out of the bottle.
We have also, with the bottle out of the van, standing on the ground opens the valve and there is gas coming out.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
@Ingwe Your last sentence was what I meant. So, if there is gas flooding out as there should be there can't be a bottle fault. It is very strange.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Unless the pressure flowing out is too low.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Well, it comes out with a loudish hiss, but don't know whehter that counts as a blast! Bit worried about letting it rush out for too long. Specially if would-be-helpful neighbour strolls up with lit fag in gob.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I'm intrigued as to why one cylinder will and the other won't. Another thought, is the cylinder top connector the same for both cylinders. Any chance of a photo of both?

I take your point about the neighbour, you could become the light of his life :LOL:.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Quote from Inspectopedia.
What is pressure LP or LPG "liquid petroleum" gas inside the gas tank?
There is some confusion, even among LP gas service technicians about just what is the pressure inside the gas containers they deliver to or fill at properties. Perhaps this is because the gas laws explain that the vapor pressure of LP-gases varies as a function of temperature.
See BOYLE's LAW discussed at this website.

"Vapor pressure" is the force exerted by a gas, LP gas in this case, attempting to escape from a container (say by pressing on the container's interior surfaces, or exiting at a gas valve if the gas valve is opened and not regulated). Some typical vapor pressures of LP gas (propane) are given just below. These pressures vary in real life depending on the purity of the gas and the percentage mixture of propane and butane.

Butane is generally going to show a much lower vapor pressure in the container than propane. But you can see from the table that as outdoor temperature varies between zero and 80 deg. F., the pressure of LP gas in the outdoor tank varies widely, from about 28 psi to as much as 140 psi.

Since the temperature affects the vaporization rate of LP gas stored at a property, you can understand that your full LP tank will appear to "last longer" in warmer weather not just because your heating boiler is not drawing on the tank, but because of the higher outdoor temperature

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
As @Minxy Girl has said the recent bulkhead regulators are harmonised to provide 30mbar from both Butane and Propane. In reality there should be no noticeable difference using either gas unless the OP is in very low temperatures. Fortunately he is now sorted but I'm interested to know what caused the problem.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
image.jpeg
@Dorset Diver, attached are low res pics of the propane tank in the van that works and the blue butane gas bottle that doesn't work. Sorry about the resolution, the dicky bottle is in a dingy stable.
As for the neighbour, he may have aspirations to be France's first moon walker without knowing it!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    297.8 KB · Views: 19
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for the pics. Sorry, assuming you used the the same pig tail for both I admit defeat :(. If you ever find out please post the result.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Just to confirm, the same pigtail was used on both.

The only thing I can think is that the butane was a bottle bought about two years ago for use in our kitchen. it was the spare to a similar one currently in use in the kitchen. The working propane was bought from the same dealer (Maxi marche).

Should I ever find out the reason, I will post back. Thanks for all the mental energy gone into this by everyone.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When at home it would be good if you tried the 'travelling' butane bottle to your system there and compare it to the one you've been using to see if there's any difference ...

Assuming that your regulator is okay then the only logical reason I can therefore come up with for all of this is that there is insufficient LPG in the butane bottle to 'push' out as gas at a high enough pressure (ie 30mbar) - it may have had just enough in when you first tried it which would explain why it worked then, however now, whilst there may be LPG in the bottle and it comes out when you turn on the knob, there isn't sufficient pressure to be used for your appliances.

That's it ... I give up now!

Signing off ... Madam Clouseau!!!

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
MT?
@Minxy Girl aka Poirot-will do as you suggest and agree that I think the problem is the butane bottle.
Again, thank you all. We set off tomorrow to the Jura, having cooked an entire meal this evening using the van gas as a final 'test'.
Thank goodness for all you knowledgable and helpful funsters.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
MT, say it quickly "empty" :D. Have a lovely time in Jura, I am quite jealous.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
DOH!!! This retirement thing seems to hav addled my brain!
Thanks, Dorset Diver. We hope to have a good time. We don't know Jura but from the Aires book, campings etc, it looks really good.
Have a good summer yourself.
Ingwe.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
By way of update, we connected the suspect MT butane to the cooker in the house ( for which use it was originally bought) and it works just fine. Plenty of flame and the weight of the bottle suggests it is full.
So, no idea why it wouldn't work with either of the two tails we bought for it; the first a standard left hand thread pigtail and the Truma one with green anti rupture button.
Still, we have a functioning propane bottle in the van and full French butane bottle for use at the house.
Thanks for all your help.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back