Truma Heater C3402 (1 Viewer)

Sep 9, 2014
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer C664G
Exp
since 2008
The Truma heater is great but being around 15 years old I think I have a fault beginning.

It still works well but first thing I noticed was that some plastic trim to the wardrobe door had starting warping. I then noticed that the heat in the wardrobe was much more than normal, but also with a weird hot plastic type smell. I phoned Truma helpline who were very helpful and I checked temperature of water from hot tap which was about 40deg and 60deg which is correct. I noted that the top cover of the heater which is partly foam was really hot and measured 150 dec C with a digital thermometer. Truma say that is correct.

But I still have this hot plastic smell which I never used to have. It still works perfectly however. I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this? I suspect the burners are worn out and possibly the flames are incorrect so heating the surrounding casing more than usual. (only a guess).....Are they replaceable? Truma say there is a bi-metal heat fuse which will fail if things get too hot. I would like to repair before I get to that stage.

Any comments appreciated.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
I seem to have exactly the same problem with my truma system a smell of burning plastic but only seems to be when operating on gas but no smell when operating on ehu. Also water temp does seem to be hotter than the 60d that I set it to although I have not tested that yet but I have had a problem with the hot water pipes to the shower area swelling up and did make a pipe come out of the 4 way water diverter that I have temp repaired until I get new water pipe (that's another problem) have not done anymore about it yet but I do think boiler is getting to hot????? But cannot find and temp gauge to turn it down Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wobby

Free Member
Aug 26, 2007
Hailsham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
Our friends who owned a Hobby had exactly the same problem, never did get to the bottom of the problem, now sold the van.
Wobby

glenm

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Mobile full timer Garstang
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
I had the same problem with my 1997 Hymer contacted Truma and ended up going down to there place for a modification think it was a new top section to the boiler done in about 2 hours contact them .
James

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
My boiler is so old, you have to put coal on it............:(:(

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Has one of the hot air pipes come off its union with the heater? If so, this can make the area around the Truma very hot as it will be pumping hot air straight into the void. The pipes are a push fit back onto their nozzles - it is a common problem that occurs from time to time and needs periodic checking.

OP
OP
Hymie835
Sep 9, 2014
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer C664G
Exp
since 2008
The heating is not on when this is happening , just the hot water on gas.
Thanks for the replies, very helpful

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I that case it may be just the normal smell of a Truma operating. Mine smells hot and 'plasticy' particularly when set to heat water to 60ºC. Just make sure all the air vents in and out of the enclosure are free and not covered with towels/clothes/dust etc.

p.s. Mine is a C6002 gas-only model

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back