Truma Heater C3402

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Hymie835, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Hymie835

Hymie835 Read Only Funster

The Truma heater is great but being around 15 years old I think I have a fault beginning.

It still works well but first thing I noticed was that some plastic trim to the wardrobe door had starting warping. I then noticed that the heat in the wardrobe was much more than normal, but also with a weird hot plastic type smell. I phoned Truma helpline who were very helpful and I checked temperature of water from hot tap which was about 40deg and 60deg which is correct. I noted that the top cover of the heater which is partly foam was really hot and measured 150 dec C with a digital thermometer. Truma say that is correct.

But I still have this hot plastic smell which I never used to have. It still works perfectly however. I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this? I suspect the burners are worn out and possibly the flames are incorrect so heating the surrounding casing more than usual. (only a guess).....Are they replaceable? Truma say there is a bi-metal heat fuse which will fail if things get too hot. I would like to repair before I get to that stage.

Any comments appreciated.

2. lunarman

lunarman Funster

• Like Like x 1
  3. flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken Funster Life Member

I seem to have exactly the same problem with my truma system a smell of burning plastic but only seems to be when operating on gas but no smell when operating on ehu. Also water temp does seem to be hotter than the 60d that I set it to although I have not tested that yet but I have had a problem with the hot water pipes to the shower area swelling up and did make a pipe come out of the 4 way water diverter that I have temp repaired until I get new water pipe (that's another problem) have not done anymore about it yet but I do think boiler is getting to hot????? But cannot find and temp gauge to turn it down Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

4. Wobby

Wobby Read Only Funster

Our friends who owned a Hobby had exactly the same problem, never did get to the bottom of the problem, now sold the van.
    Wobby

5. glenm

glenm Read Only Funster

I had the same problem with my 1997 Hymer contacted Truma and ended up going down to there place for a modification think it was a new top section to the boiler done in about 2 hours contact them .
    James

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tootles

Tootles Funster

My boiler is so old, you have to put coal on it............:(:(

• Like Like x 1
  7. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Has one of the hot air pipes come off its union with the heater? If so, this can make the area around the Truma very hot as it will be pumping hot air straight into the void. The pipes are a push fit back onto their nozzles - it is a common problem that occurs from time to time and needs periodic checking.

8. Hymie835

Hymie835 Read Only Funster

The heating is not on when this is happening , just the hot water on gas.
    Thanks for the replies, very helpful

9. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I that case it may be just the normal smell of a Truma operating. Mine smells hot and 'plasticy' particularly when set to heat water to 60ºC. Just make sure all the air vents in and out of the enclosure are free and not covered with towels/clothes/dust etc.

p.s. Mine is a C6002 gas-only model

• Like Like x 1