Truma gas Heating

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Lizi, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Lizi

Lizi Funster

Is this generally considered good heating? Before our gas packed in yesterday I wasn't convinced the heating was working very well. The water was heating on gas and there was the merest hint of heat at times from the vent. However it is true that it wasn't awfully cold yesterday where we were - Gatwick. So I am not clear that the heating was working well. Should we have felt quite a surge of heat come out when we turned it up to 30 degrees? (trying to test it) Or does it really just take the chill off the motorhome?
    We want to go to Scotland for 2-3 weeks at Easter so will sort out a fan heater to come with us but this won't be possible to use if we are not on hook up - so will we freeze with just Truma gas heating? and that is providing we do get our gas working again!

2. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

The Truma systems we have had in our motorhomes have worked far better on gas then on EHU hence I suspect you have a problem with the unit - suggest you get a Truma engineer to look at it.

3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Our Truma blown air heating (Trumatic C3402, gas only) is fine and soon heats the van up.

Having read your other thread and seen that it appears your regulator was at fault then I would guess that insufficient gas may have been getting through to the heater. Worth having the engineer look at it when you get the regulator fixed though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rosalan

rosalan Funster

My Truma heater was, I was quite sure, not up to scratch as the airing cupboard beneath which it was housed, got very hot and smelt of varnish. On opening up the heater cupboard I discovered that two of the fat pipes that carry the blown air, were detached from the heating unit. Although it was not easy to reach, I managed to fit them back on.
    Still the heating seemed weak and half hearted, however when I turned it up and left it, after a period of time the fan began to get much louder and the heat filled the van within minutes.
    We have now realised that the unit takes time before going to maximum heat and when we turn it off it takes several minutes before it has expelled the heat and turns off. We lived and learnt.
    Alan

5. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Your description of how it works is spot on. Initially it 'slow starts'. Once the van is warm as sensed by the temperature sensor it drops to a very low setting but doesn't immediately turn off. If the temperature in the van starts to fall it will come back up to full speed. If the temperature in the van continues to rise it will turn off completely until it is needed again. I assume this method of control is to prevent short cycling and the annoyance caused by bigger changes in temperature and the fan being either flat out or off.

6. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Regarding the distribute on pipes coming off. Ours have now been taped in pjace with that foil heating tape.
    For the OP. It may well be worth contacting Truma up near Derby. They can advise you and I found them to be very good. They will even let you take the van (and wait) there or send the unit if you can remove it.
    Well worth a call if you think you have a problem.
    The Truma place us on the A50 near Burton on Trent

7. WillH

WillH Funster

When on gas or gas and electric our Truma (6002) starts off slow then when the heat exchanger is hot it sounds like a jet is trying to take-off. We can get the van really hot when using both fuels. It does use a bit of gas especially when sub-zero outside but that's what it's for. Check all your duct connections, mine are all taped up and/or screw fixed as the motion of the van makes them shake loose.