Truma Combi question. (1 Viewer)

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We have not needed to use our heating since we bought the MH, so other than fathoming how to turn it that's all.
Am I correct that we can use the heating without any water in the boiler? I have read the instructions but am not certain.
I assume it must be ok, otherwise if it gets cold and drops the water there would be no heating, but I would hate to blow the thing up.
We are setting off 750 miles North back to Yorkshire next week, and its bound to be cold.

Many thanks in advance.

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
As you do not say exactly which Truma boiler you have fitted, it is difficult to give a definitive answer. What I can say is that I have a Truma 4e fitted and do use this in heating-only mode to keep the van from getting too cold when at home on the drive - with no water in it.

For those who want argue about the necessity of heating an empty van, we do this only on rare occasions when there is something in the van that we do not want to get cold/damp. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I was going to say that I thought the boiler would have had to be full with water to provide heating,but a quick check on their site under the questions indicates that you can have heating without the boiler been filled with water..
Have a look at the info inthe link..under benefits/tips/answers
Link Removed
Andy.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'm sure you can use all Truma Combi's for heating without putting water in but it would help to have the model or a picture - especially if you want to know what the controls do.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Truma "C" series and "Combi" units can all be used without water in them as the water heating is indirect. Its also worth noting that the auto drain valve will only dump the water if the heater is switched off, if the heater is in use then the valve will stay closed.

D.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You will also find that with the Heating on, and Hot Water off, you will still have very hot water - eventually. The heater does not need water in it whilst you are using the heating but if it does the water will slowly heat up and eventually become very hot. The heater has two concentric heat exchangers and two concentric burners. The heat exchangers, one flame-to-air and the other flame-to-water, are above their respective burners but are of necessity very close together inside an insulated box so heat is transferred between them.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Thats's not quite as I understand it.
There are, indeed, concentric heat exchangers. But it's only the innermost where both gas jets fire. The next one is where the electric elements will be found (if present) and through which the heated air is passed. The water boiler is the outer cylinder.
Heating will work without the presence of water. If water is present, however, it will be warmed by the passing hot air (and radiation from the electric elements in latest models) even if 'water heating' is not requested.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Yes.....
No....
Yes .... yes .... yes...
Soz ... blame it on the wodddkaa...

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Thank you everyone.
It is a Combi, and now himself will be able to shed at least two layers of clothing in safety.

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Steady folks! Shedding clothes? Neer cast a clout till Mays art! It is Yorkshire tha nows.:sun:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back