Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Folks

Anyone any experience of changing a true combi heater elements? Or know of a UTube or similar explanation of how too.

Sat a few nights a go watching a film with glass in hand only to have the ELCB trip. Didn't think to much about it until next day when the MH was not its usual toasty self. Looks like one of the pair of heater element has failed (hence ELCB trip)

It this something that can be repaired without special tools etc.

Any thoughts welcome.

OP
OP
RandallC

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Bump

Surely not a unique problem!!!!

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Bump

Surely not a unique problem!!!!
Not a unique problem at all. Our Combi 6E has had electrical elements replaced twice. :RollEyes:

The first time was done at a dealer's under warranty so I didn't get to watch. I know the difficulty that time was getting the old elements out - one had split and one had warped. Once they were out it was apparently easy enough to get the new elements in.

Second time we had them replaced by a mobile engineer I know in Cambridgeshire and he had no trouble getting the elements out - tho' this time they weren't damaged as such, just one had blown. He didn't use any special tools altho' apparently the Truma manual suggests they are necessary.

My partner David (mr maz) watched the whole process and made notes so I've asked him to post a reply with what he learnt. Watch this space! :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
RandallC

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Maz

Many thanks. Much appreciated

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Exactly which model is it?

OP
OP
RandallC

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
4E I believe.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I watched ours get changed a year or so ago.. straight forward but a bit stiff to pull out.

Sep 20, 2015
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R
Exp
since 2014
Truma suggest that special tools are required but having watched our friendly mobile engineer replace these elements the job can be done with just normal tools. The boiler needs to be removed from the van and then worked on on a bench. You need to remove both end covers and then remove access plates/covers until you can, 1/ disconnect the 4 power supply cables from the 2 heater elements (each element is approx 60 ohms resistance) at one end of boiler, and 2/ at the other end of boiler have access to the 2 elements. The elements are U shaped tubes that slide into the heat exchanger and you need to pull them out to replace. They can be quite tight and may require a second person to hold on to the boiler whilst you pull them out. Once removed the new ones should slide in without difficulty. When you reassemble the boiler do not use any undue force because if something won't go together then you are doing something wrong. Taking photos as you disassemble will help when putting it all together again. Good luck.:)

OP
OP
RandallC

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Thanks folks

Plan to have a good look tomorrow, now returned home. -6.2C in Oxford last night.

Cheers

OP
OP
RandallC

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Ok. Heater now in the garage having striped out half the wardrobe and steps up to the over garage bed..

Given the previous issue with an element for the fridge plan to remove the old before ordering new.

Never a dull moment!

OP
OP
RandallC

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Ok, the old elements especially the failed one were a little resistant to being removed. Had to cut the failed one in two, to get it out.

New elements ordered from Johns Cross (good old Funster discount).

Rebuild next week when parts arrive. Was quite surprised at the amount of dust and detritus in the fans, made me wonder if the heater failure had a little help from reduced air flow leading to overheating.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back