chris n geo

Free Member
May 26, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
"Since getting stuck in a country lane towing something the size of a block of flats"
Hi, we have just returned from a very chilly weekend in Yorkshire, when we arrived we struggled to get the water pump working, after some fiddling it started and all systems go........or not :Angry:. The heater stopped after a while and the red led light came on. Following this it was hit and miss to whether the heater worked, sometimes it came on but switched off after a while and other times it just refused to come on at all. We tried all the trouble shooting things in the book to no avail, has anybody got any ideas? The van is only 2 years old.:shout:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have just been through all this...

Change gas bottle.
Change regulator.
Tap solenoid when it is trying to ignite. (lightly)

Does it sound like it is trying to light but failing. Kind of a woofing noise?

OP
OP
chris n geo

chris n geo

Free Member
May 26, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
"Since getting stuck in a country lane towing something the size of a block of flats"
We changed the gas as that is was happened last time, the cooker was working ok so didn't think it was anything to do with that. It worked sometimes for short periods and this was the confusing thing, the water heater worked even when the heating didn't :whatthe:
So frustrating!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
The boiler should be flashing a fault code (like a Morse code series of 8 flashes, either short or long). You can then look the code up online to get an idea of what's gone wrong (or ring Truma who will tell you).

Letsgetaway

Free Member
Jun 24, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Caravan for 4 years; new to motorhoming
Just a thought, we didn't have an anti syphen valve put on our new van and because of this our combi boiler played up as the water slowly syphened back into the main water tank. So if your pump has been playing up it may be worth looking at the anti syphon valve on your pump (if you have one fitted) to make sure you're not having the same problem.

Hope this helps:thumb:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
A few thoughts and a few observations. Have you had a hab inspection this year? problems like this can often be avoided by annual inspections. Water level is totally unimportant if it is a Combi heater, they run just as well (for space heating obviously) without water as they do with. Anti syphon valve? Never heard of one! There will be a non return valve in the system, usually just before the heater dump valve.

Other than that best advice is to consult Truma trained workshop or phone Truma Tech guys on Monday morning.

D.

Letsgetaway

Free Member
Jun 24, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Caravan for 4 years; new to motorhoming
I rang Truma prior to complaining to the dealers and they informed me that that there is no anti drain valve fitted to the Truma Combi but if your water tank is lower, physics says it's going to back drain. Fitted anti syphen at the water pump and it's now works a treat.

Only trying to help, don't want to be shot down in flames!!!:winky:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I rang Truma prior to complaining to the dealers and they informed me that that there is no anti drain valve fitted to the Truma Combi but if your water tank is lower, physics says it's going to back drain. Fitted anti syphen at the water pump and it's now works a treat.

Only trying to help, don't want to be shot down in flames!!!:winky:

Sorry to be pedantic but that is not an anti syphOn valve its a non return valve. If the water pump is a diaphragm type it should not be necessary even if the tank is lower, a rotary pump in the tank is a different story but its still a non return valve not anti syphOn. It matters not a jot anyway as the C series and Combi heaters from Truma can both function perfectly well (for space heating only obviously) without water in them. Only the Ultrastore type water only heaters should not be run without water in them as they heat the water directly while the C series and Combi do so indirectly.

D.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Sounds like the regulator to me...

Common cause....
Try turning the gas cooker on and light up all rings on gas. Then turn the heater on gas, listen for it to attmpnto ignite and watch your cooker. See what happens to the flames, if they die down then most likely cause is regulator. If its a truma reg and 2 years old you've done well in my experience.

The water aspect appears irrelevant from what your describing. Probably air I the system making it difficult to get going, another common problem.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I swapped the gas bottle on mine, and the regulator and still had the problem...

Turned out to be the solenoid valve sticking/partially opening on one side. When heating water both sides open so enough gas was getting in. When on heating only it quite often didn't have enough gas to light and the red light came on indicating no gas....

After about 2 weeks it corrected itself though so I am not complaining but I still don't trust that solenoid valve.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back