Truma Combi Boiler

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by CWH, Nov 2, 2014.

1. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

I don't have a practical bone in my body, so I'm not complaining about the level of DIY knowledge of Him Indoors, but we have a couple of questions about the Truma Combi Boiler please. He can't find the answer in the handbook - it's probably too basic a question, they'll think everybody knows....:happy:
    He's drained the main tank with all of the mixer taps open & turned to the 'hot' end.
    1] will this have drained the boiler tank?
    2] if it has, can we use the blown-air heater, or does this need the boiler (and/or main tank) to be filled?
    Thanks in advance!

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Q1 .. No .. draining the fresh tank does not drain the hot water boiler.. the boiler has an auto-drain valve that opens when the ambient drops to about 6 deg c to protect it from freezing.
    Q2 .. you can still use the warm air heating whether it is drained or not

• Like Like x 1
  3. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Thanks ScotJimland. This clears up another question too. As complete beginners we were bemused at hand-over, and the dealer said the MH drained automatically to avoid freezing, we thought he meant the whole system but the manual says not... so it must just be the boiler then. 3 answers for the price of 2!

• Like Like x 1
  4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

It depends on the age and model of your boiler but the principle is the same. The frost protection is a 'last chance' to avoid freezing issues but really you should drain the boiler manually. We had the auto drain activate itself in France last year (it was bl£$dy cold!) and when I went to fill up it took me about 20 mins and a lot of wasted water to work out that I had not reset the 'set' button on the boiler.....(as I was filling the fresh tank up it was all coming out the bottom of the van:blusher:)

Anyway, as Jim says the old thread covers it in more detail...

• Like Like x 1
  6. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

Our MoHo ha s a manual drain valve on the Truma Combi, I expect different MoHo manufacturers do things differently.
    What was not pick up on your original post was that the taps must be set to the mid position to drain both hot and cold pipes. The taps should be left open in the mid position through out the winter to protect them from frost.

• Like Like x 1