Truma C6002 not warm enough

Discussion in 'Heating and Air-Conditioning' started by RidersofRohan, Feb 14, 2016.

1. RidersofRohan

RidersofRohan Funster

Can anyone suggest what is going wrong with our heating?
    The heating when on gas only with a temp setting of 7, 8 or 9 (I have tried all of them) starts up and a light flow of warm air comes out, then every 20 seconds or so it attempts to blow harder and sounds like a jet engine but this lasts anything from one second to at most 10 seconds. While this is happening a red light starts to flash next to the green light on the controller.
    The warm air continues to flow out but is insufficient to heat up the van. After 1.5 hours the van had warmed up 10C from 6 to 16C.
    It is clearly trying to perform some sort of boosted heated airflow but cuts out.
    We have changed to lpg refillable system from Gas -it if that has any bearing.

Thanks for any suggestions

2. sedge

sedge Funster

The 'turbo' on ours only works when you have the Truma set on the highest setting to operate on both gas and mains electricity at the same time. So you can have it on gas only, elec only, or both. The red light is probably telling you the 'turbo' has failed because you aren't on EHU but you have it on that setting - it increases the capacity from X Kw to Y Kw if you have it on both.

I think I'd want it on both, at this time of year cos I'm a delicate hothouse flower, me!

Meanwhile, put the oven on and open the door!

• Like Like x 2
  3. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

My understanding is that the red light only comes on if there's an issue with the gas.
    The distribution fan is either working or not.. sounds like it's working but you have possibly a gas problem.
    If you're under warranty you're good.. if not and you know a good fitter then great.
    Otherwise you might want to try calling Truma tech support ..and if they can't help book it in with them...
    I've used them before and they are great

While you're checking around it would be good to check that all your distribution hoses are connected correctly. They can have a tendency to pop out of the boiler and heat up the space around it causing a few issues. I've used high temp sealant to keep them in place

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  4. trophychap

trophychap Funster

DON'T whatever you do put the oven on and open the door like Sedge suggests without plenty of ventilation which will defeat the object of warming your van, you will end up very dead from CO2 poisoning.

I am about to give her a bollocking for suggesting you do such a stupid thing as that.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Neckender

Neckender Funster

Do Not Use any part of cooker for heating as trophychap says there's a very high risk of CO2 poisoning.

John.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. RidersofRohan

RidersofRohan Funster

Thanks for replies.
    If its an issue with the gas, is the problem with the gas-it installation in terms of are the valves / supply line / regulator smaller or lower capacity than Calor?
    Although I think the regulator was the same one.

7. Yorick

Yorick Funster

I've used the cooker rings, for 5 years, to get the van warm will the heater kicked in :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. RidersofRohan

RidersofRohan Funster

Hi, I think our truma units may be different.
    we have 4 options
    Electric 60 degrees Water only
    Electric 40 degrees Water only both known as "Summer settings"
    Then
    Gas heating only
    Gas hot water and heating

I think the heating should work as follows
    when you turn it on it blasts out hot air until the van reaches the temp associated with the settings on the controller (1-9) then moves to a "maintenance" flow at a lesser rate. We are only getting the lower flow and it aint warming it up enough.

9. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Eat mushy peas and light the farts :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. jezport

jezport Funster

Its not right, maybe not enough gas, or a fault. Mine comes on with slow fan ubtil its warmed itself up then the fan speeds up until the van is hotter then later drops back to slow blow.

11. Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM Read Only Funster

Light a gas ring before you switch on the truma. Note the height and power of the gas ring, watch this as you activate the heater, if there is a drop in the gas ring performance you have a gas suppy issue. First stop must be the regulator, some or the LPG bulk supplies seem to contain paraffin wax that affects the regulator diaphragm. I do not think it is possible to dismantle and clean the regulator so swaping it may be your only option. Truma do sell a filter specifically for this problem.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RidersofRohan

RidersofRohan Funster

Thanks Traveller. Just tried lighting the gas ring first and no alteration to flame but... the truma takes ages before attempting to boost and switches straight back down again immediately on each attempt to boost up.

13. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

As I assume you are not on ehu I suggest you monitor the battery voltage. It could be that as the fan speed goes to full speed, drawing 4-5 amps, the voltage may drop too low to sustain it, in which case its a battery problem.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM Read Only Funster

So this is different to when the gas ring is not on is it, If I understand you correctly it is worse when something else is using gas at the same time. If that is the case then either change the regulator or borrow a bottle with a different regulator and try that first.

15. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

I think this could be the problem as looking at the instructions for the c6002 a flashing red light indicates too low voltage.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

I don't think your understanding of the controls is quite right.
    The problem is that Truma insist on using the same symbol for heating as they do for gas selection.

I think it should be as follows
    60 degree water only
    40 degree water only
    Heating only
    Heating and hot water (the fact that there is a little flame on these last two indicates heating - not gas)

There should then either be a separate switch or rotary dial which allows you to select either gas only, elec only or on some models gas and elec together.

• Like Like x 2
  17. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Took a quick pic of our instruction sheet
    20160215_111158.jpg

Definitely check that all your air duct pipes are connected.
    I'm still pretty sure a red light is gas not lit.

A call to truma tech will probably resolve it. They will get you to hold the phone near the boiler. They may also ask you to disconnect the thermostat.
    Tel 01283 586020

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  18. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

A steady red light indicates a gas problem, and as already mentioned above, a flashing red light indicates a low voltage problem. It's the same through most of the Truma range of heaters/boilers, and also applies to the Truma 2400 cab heater. You may have a loose connection, if the batteries are good.

I sometimes get a flashing red light on our 2400 cab heater, despite the batteries reading 12.7v or above, however, it still works a treat.

Good luck with the problem. (y)

Jock. :)

19. RidersofRohan

RidersofRohan Funster

Many thanks for the replies.
    Work now gets in the way for the next couple of days, but will get back to it shortly. I will also come back with whatever solution worked (assuming one does) electric or gas or something else.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RidersofRohan

RidersofRohan Funster

Rang Truma and they think its a voltage problem (12v), faulty connection or similar. Also with this particular model all four blowers must be kept open otherwise it overheats.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1