Truma boiler problem. Any advice please?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Gromett, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Gromett

Gromett Funster

My boiler has started playing up.

It used to start on the first click. Now it sounds like a mini explosion is happening then sounds like a flame is flicking back and forth in a tube.

Sort of Thud, thud, thud, thud, thud BrrrrrRRRRRR.

Hard to explain sounds in words:Doh:
    Once a day or so it goes through the cycle and fails to ignite and the red light indicating out of gas comes on. The hob is working full blast, the gas cylinder is full....

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be happening.

2. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Does anyone have access to the service manual for one of these?

It's a Truma C4002 combi.

3. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Give Glenn or Ian a ring on 01580-883061 and pick their brains, phone might be a bit busy.

Peter

4. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Mine isn't the same model, but it is a Truma ... it says in the book (quote)

if the burner makes an unusual noise or if the flame lifts off, it is likely that the regulator is faulty and it is essential to have it checked. (end quote0

Don't know if that is of any help.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  5. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Sorry, off topic !!

FFS Joy go back to your other avotar ! :Blush::Blush::Blush:

6. movan

movan Funster Life Member

oi. This is Gromett's post on his boiler, not my hairdresser....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

Who's your hairdresser? Stevie Wonder:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

PDFs of Operating & Installation instructions are available as links from Here. The former contains a troubleshooting guide.

• Like Like x 1
  9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Amazing. Ours has taken to doing just that. No more than 3 "whoooooshes" but worrying even though it heated perfectly.

So we went to Spinney Motorhomes, listed as Truma agents, "Nothing wrong Sir, so only £36". The service guy did wonder if it was poor 12V causing the bad ignition. He said there's no servicing done on them, more or less sealed 'till they fail.

It's happened occasionally for months, I can't trace a pattern. I wonder if it's anything to do with varying autogas LPG mixes. I wonder if wind speed/direction is anything to do with it.

If you find out I'd be very glad to hear the cause.

10. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Gromett
    Give truma a ring-

There technical department is excellent. They can save you an absolute fortune. Mine is now fixed and working al for the princely sum of me being an idiot when I re plugged it after fitting my Solar Panel. Some engineers wanted to strip the whole thing out and take the boiler out :Eeek:

A quick chat with the guys there and they had it sussed and working in mins.

Twice this has happened last time it was hte regulator and again there was talk of taking boilers out, 40 secs on the phone to them and again the problem was solved..

Here's there number, 01283 586020

11. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Thanks for that, I will be replacing the regulator today but I don't hold out much hope. The hob works exactly as before so I can't see it being gas starvation or similar but worth a try :thumb:

It's not wind as it was doing it all day yesterday and it was sunny with no wind. I did think about the LPG mix as it started after I had filled up (I think)

I have both of those already (loaded onto my playbook) As I installed it myself I needed the installation manual. I really could do with a service manual that has a clear schematic so I can understand how it works.

My jobs for today once I get back to the workshop is, swap out the gaslow for a fresh propane bottle to see if it is the mix. If this doesn't work then I will try swapping the regulator out.

If neither of these work I need to get it looked at I think. The ignition problem is bad enough that I am concerned...

Thanks everyone.

12. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Thanks Haggers. If my two options above don't work I will give them a ring:thumb:

13. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Karl, I can concur with Paul, that the Truma Technical Dept are very good with help down the phone.

Ours Truma C3402 stopped working shortly after we got the MH (third owners). The boiler failed to ignite although plenty of gas in tank.

The advice was suspect sticky gas solenoids, possibly due to lack of use, (the two little square things sitting at 4 and 8 o'clock, close to the gas inlet connection). Gently tapping (emphasising "GENTLY") these solenoid valves with either a rubber mallet, or the wooden shaft of a ball pin hammer, whilst the boiler is trying to fire up, would probably release them. I did this and it has worked faultlessly ever since, however, it has always made that thumping noise on initial start up from cold, as does the Truma E2400 heater in the cab area.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,

Jock.

14. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Karl fist thing to do is listen to Haggers and ring TRUMA up :thumb:Save the trouble of swapping :Smile:
    Even if you need spares they are a lot cheaper than any dealers- dealer once quoted me £95 to supply a new Circuit board which truma quoted £35 for :Eeek: Cut a long story short my mate took a look at it and said it is either these or that,swapped a few things on it (mends tvs )and away it went :thumb:
    terry

15. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Refilled my LPG tank from a different source and tried it. Same problem
    Swapped it for a FloGas cylinder. same problem
    New Regulator. Same problem.

Called Truma.
    Held the phone up while starting it up and he said it sounds like the flu is split.
    Take it out and check it :thumb:

Busy day for me....

16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Not quite what you want but there is a parts schematic Here. Right click and view image makes it clearer.

17. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Looked at it and it is a full days work. I didn't leave enough clearance for me to get behind it without stripping the wardrobe out...

typical though, threaten the thing with a screwdriver and it has started behaving itself...:Rofl1::Rofl1:

Got access to one of the workshop bays tomorrow so will strip it down anyway. I have some alumium tape designed for heating ducts so if there is a split I can do a bodge to tie me over till the new flu arrives...

18. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Todays the day. Spending all day stripping down the wardrobe/cupboard area so I can get to the boiler. Not looking forward to it but I am stuck on hookup until I can get it fixed...

19. Terry

Terry Funster

Good luck Gromett :Smile: That's exactly why I

now tell self builder s to fit boiler and heaters last :BigGrin:
    Terry

20. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Bloody hell!!!!!

Nothing wrong with the flu but I need a new O ring for it now...

Can anyone recommend a supplier as my usual one can only supply the full flu kit not just the O ring:Doh: