Truma 6002 not filling/heating (1 Viewer)

thraxugrut

Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
Irlam, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a Newbie
G'day all,

I'm putting this out there in the hopes that one of you fine people can assist me with the following issue.

I recently replaced a faulty water pump (19l/ 1.4 bar) with a lower specced model (18l / 0.9 bar) as it was on hand and got some water pumping again (otherwise I'd have replaced like for like).

We have noticed however that the boiler never seems to fill properly (i.e. I turn on the hot water taps and it sputters and coughs continually until 5 minutes later I give up)

The one time we tried heating water (when it actually appeared to have filled the boiler) we waited until the orange light went out, but there was no hot water and in a short time it went back to sputtering/coughing.

My assumption is that although there is no mention of a minimum water pressure for the boiler to operate that there is indeed one. Can anyone offer support for or refute this?

Finally, I'm in Fes, Morocco. Does anyone know of somewhere nearby I can purchase a Twin 19l 1.4 bar pump or similar / higher spec? We seem to be failing to find any sort of caravan/motorhome accessories shops, though we know of one in Agadir.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Have you closed the boiler drain valve? Is water pumping into the boiler when the tap is open but going straight out of the dump valve

OP
OP
thraxugrut

thraxugrut

Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
Irlam, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Hi Andy,
Thanks for your response.

I have confirmed that the boiler drain valve is closed. Water is not exiting the system through there when I'm running the hot tap (or times other than you might normally expect it to be)

Cheers,
Mark

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If the temporary pump is feeding the cold taps satisfactorily? then it isn't under powered. Sorry I can't be of more help.

My Elasi is held closed with a piece of slotted plastic, most people use a clothes peg
CA_03081313380887-X2.jpg

OP
OP
thraxugrut

thraxugrut

Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
Irlam, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the ideas. We have water coming through the cold water system, and have in fact forced the pump valve the closed using a cunning implementation of twist ties, nothing near as elegant as your installation though :)

I just confirmed before that it was still in place and there was no water under the van.

Hmm... I still have the faulty pump, it is blowing the 5amp fuse every 10-15 seconds of use. I have a heap of fuses, perhaps I can try filling the boiler that way to confirm the boiler is still working with the old pump.

Hmmm

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, have you opened the other taps incl. the shower? sounds like you could have an air-lock in the system, sometimes take ages to get rid of.
Hope this helps,
Cheers, Dave(y)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
As Dave said
It does seem given everything being normal that the pump doesn't have enough guts to purge the air out

OP
OP
thraxugrut

thraxugrut

Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
Irlam, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I had tried running both taps (I only have two) for a time, but then turned one off thinking that the poor pump might be overworking trying to push water out of both of them.

I'll give it another go. So... give it 30 minutes or something you rekon? Any other way to shift an air-lock in the system?

Thanks again,
Mark

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The boiler holds 12 litres so quite a volume! before it goes on to the taps

OP
OP
thraxugrut

thraxugrut

Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
Irlam, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a Newbie
OK, we have an update.

After a few minutes of running both taps I had a steady stream of water from both taps running with the tap turned to hot. I left them run a few minutes and had no additional coughing/spluttering.

I then turned the taps off and turned on the boiler to heat the water. After waiting for the orange light turn off I then proceeded to turn on a hot water tap. It immediately began to cough and splutter with cold water then stopped pushing out water half a minute or so. I then turned on the bathroom tap to hot and it leaked out some cold water. Around this time both taps began to flow with water after some additional spluttering then settled into a continual cold flow (with taps turned to hot).

The orange light had come back on.

I left the taps running for a few more minutes and had no more coughing/spluttering so turned off all taps and waited again for the orange light to disappear. Upon turning on the hot water taps again I again experienced coughing/spluttering and cold water.

I checked that the boiler had not dumped water.

At this point I'm favouring the pump isn't up to the task, though why it can seem to sort out the water flow but then the boiler not produce warm water is beyond me.

Thanks again for the ideas, they were certainly worth pursuing.

Cheers,
Mark

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
When you replaced the pump, did you ensure you had a model with a non-return valve in the outlet stage? Here is the correct pump for a Hymer: Link Removed
Note the larger diameter grey plastic section in the nozzle. If yours does not have this then it is the version without a NRV and you will get the symptoms you describe. If you cannot get the correct Reich pump, you could do a temporary / alternative fix with a separate NRV but there is not a lot of headroom usually in a Hymer tank to allow the extra unit to be fitted.

p.s. I'm assuming your Hymer is post 1995. I'm not sure if earlier versions used the same submerged pump. Also, I cannot account for blowing fuses. The pump is normally fused at the Elektroblok (far right fuse on an EBL99 or EBL100). If you are referring to the original pump blowing fuses then that suggests it is caput and I would not try to use it again.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Have you removed the external exhaust cover? Just wondering, you say you turn it on and zfter short while orange light comes on which suggests you using gas side of boiler. If outidr cowling not removed then this is what happens. As to blowing fuses ets, whats to say this temporary pump is not faulty?

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
I had the same problem after fitting a new pump . In my case the new pump did not have a non returnable valve and water was being pumped into the boiler and then pumped back into the tank hot/warm .

OP
OP
thraxugrut

thraxugrut

Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
Irlam, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a Newbie
OK, the non return valve is the problem then. Thanks for that guys.
I didn't really have a great amount of choice when the lady in the line for a data sim said she had a spare water pump in the van after fruitlessly searching for an accessories store and asking random people around hardware stores etc I jumped at the chance to get some water flowing.

Now I know there is no hot water I can live with that until I can get a suitable pump. \

Thanks guys.

Oh and yes it was the old pump blowing fuses, it smells sorted like electrical burnt out motor in there so I don't plan on using it again except as a buying guide for the next pump. (I couldn't see a way to take the NRV off the old pump and jury rig it to the new one. :) )

Cheers,
Mark

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back