Truma 4E (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Ive has an issue where the truma blown air heating cuts out giving a flash code that translates to either the fan , temperature sensor or the PCB being faulty and causing the heater to shut down due to over heating. The van is brand new and its one this only happens when the heating is running full whack on blown air.

If the blown air tubes are restricted it can cause this type of fault, but they are all clear.

Ive had a truma trained technician take a quick look and he told me he had never seen insulation fitted to the hot air pipes where they leave the boiler and suggested that its possible that too much heat is being kept inside the boiler due to this insulation. The boiler is fitted under the half dinette seat so doesn't have a massive area to dissipate heat.

Ive removed the insulation from the tubes for the area inside the seat and have tested the boiler around 4 times today and the fault hasn't shown. I'm going to run it again tomorrow to be sure that its definitely cured.

Does anyone else here have a truma 4E Boiler, and are your blown air pipes insulated where they leave the truma?

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
If this is a brand new van shouldn't the dealer be sorting it out for you?

5 hour drive away and they will fit one part and send me home to see how it goes.
Truma has technicians in my area so rater than waste 3 return trips using £200 of diesel im getting it sorted locally.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
No insulation on my blown air pipes from my Truma 4e and neither have I seen any on other installations!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
My 6E is in a tiny cupboard under the wardrobe and does not have any insulation around the outlet pipes.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Not sure if you're aware that Truma are at Burton on Trent and you can call them for advice and/or book the van in and they'll fix it while u wait.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Im going to phone truma technical up tomorrow and ask them if the insulation should be used on the pipes close to the boiler.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
IMG_0174.JPG
does the cupboard have air vents / grilles to let fresh air in?
No. it is just the bottom of the wardrobe. Cannot see very well, but it is jammed in there and there is just enough room for a bottle of red wine between the boiler and door(y)(y)

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I ran the boiler on no5 this morning from cold and it ran perfectly. So it seems that the insulation near the boiler was causing it to go to fault and shut down.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I still have an intermittent fault on my Truma, I have it booked in at Truma tomorrow so will report back. Apparently the latest boilers have a memory of exactly what the unit was doing when a fault occurred and they have a diagnostic computer they can plug in.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Arrived at Truma at 8.00am
Technician looked at boiler.
I was worried that the fault wouldn't show. But luckily it did, within 5 minutes.

They've sent me to their canteen while they look at it

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... the suspense is killing me ...... o_O

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
Ive has an issue where the truma blown air heating cuts out giving a flash code that translates to either the fan , temperature sensor or the PCB being faulty and causing the heater to shut down due to over heating. The van is brand new and its one this only happens when the heating is running full whack on blown air.

If the blown air tubes are restricted it can cause this type of fault, but they are all clear.

Ive had a truma trained technician take a quick look and he told me he had never seen insulation fitted to the hot air pipes where they leave the boiler and suggested that its possible that too much heat is being kept inside the boiler due to this insulation. The boiler is fitted under the half dinette seat so doesn't have a massive area to dissipate heat.

Ive removed the insulation from the tubes for the area inside the seat and have tested the boiler around 4 times today and the fault hasn't shown. I'm going to run it again tomorrow to be sure that its definitely cured.

Does anyone else here have a truma 4E Boiler, and are your blown air pipes insulated where they leave the truma?

Could it possibly be a 'bodge' by either the factory or(more likely) the dealer? I would carefully check around the whole area where the 'insulation' had been put to see if there is any leakage of air from anywhere.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Arrived at Truma at 8.00am
Technician looked at boiler.
I was worried that the fault wouldn't show. But luckily it did, within 5 minutes.

They've sent me to their canteen while they look at it
Hope they are paying for breakfast.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My thoughts are that the insulation should have been removed when it was fitted ... but without seeing a photo I can't say for certain.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I think it's ... sausage eggs and beans! Maybe with toast ...

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The technician decided that the fault was most likely the PCB but it was a strange fault he hadn't seen before so decided the easiest option was a new unit.
Normally they exchange them for a refurbished unit of the same age. My Truma was almost new so he changed it for a brand spanking new one.

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
Sounds like they have done the right thing and I hope that you find it now all works as it should.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Our friends had exactly the same problem with their new Coachman at the Newbury show because they had no heating or water, I had a quick look, there are 2 PCB,s one you can see easy the other is nearly under the boiler they are joined by a ribbon cable, this had not been located properly pushed the connectors home properly and it gave no more issues.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We didn't have no heat or water most the time it ran fine. But after leaving it on no 2 over night and turning up to 4 in the morning sometimes it would go to fault.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
My 4E is located under the wardrobe with little throughput ventilation,
so a quick drill with a rotary saw and a circular brown soffit vent to match the wood is all that's needed,
It might have been unessary but it give me peace of mind,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back