Truck satnav or camper satnav?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Spidey, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Spidey

Spidey Funster

Thinking about getting Garmin satnav but wondered whether a truck one is better than a motorhome one? Anyone tried them?

2. Geordies

Geordies Funster

We like the Garmin one, but have never tried the truck one. Really you need someone who has / had both.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I have had the Garmin Dezl 560LMT truck version for three years and I think it is very good. It has customisable programs for truck or motorhome (RV) where you can input length, width, height and MAM. I would not bother with the camper version as you can get all the POI files you want and load them onto the Dezl. That way, you choose what you need rather than having the POI set that Garmin has agreed with a club.

Before getting the Dezl I had a Nüvi for a few years and the truck version is definitely better for motorhoming. Note, it can only take account of road size where it has the data in the map set. Minor roads remain minor roads whatever system you have. But remember that a lot of very big trucks use fairly minor roads to get to the place they need to be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. Spidey

Spidey Funster

Thanks, this is one we were thinking of :)

6. Spidey

Spidey Funster

7. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

There is an option for traffic but I think it is only historical data that is uses, nor live. The map updates are free but have to be done via a PC

• Like Like x 1
  8. TheBig1

free map updates for life and uses historical data on traffic

• Like Like x 1
  9. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I chose Garmin for various reasons. When I bought the first one (Nüvi) it was not possible to load Lat/Long coordinates on some other makes; Garmin virtually invented satnav devices so I went for experience; it had to work with a Mac as I don't use a Windows PC (I don't think TomTom was Mac-compatible at the time).
    Having got used to Garmin, I decided to stick with it when looking for a truck model (Dēzl).
    Of course, the cheapo ones were not available when I bought the first Garmin, but I would still stick with the brand if replacing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheBig1

likewise, i have been a tomtom fan for years, although i have inherited a few others like garmin with vans i have bought. all of them have some limitations and the price for big name manufacturers is ridiculous compared to cost of manufacture. at first, i like most people associated the idea of chinese goods as cheap and inferior. however other technology has proved they have taken huge leaps in recent years like phones and tablets etc. so I risked £40 on the thought that if useless as a satnav would still work as a media player for videos etc

all i can offer is my opinion as an experienced gps user and can happily confirm that they do everything other makes can and plenty more besides

outputs audio on the cab radio
    full bluetooth support even music
    plays video
    and great quality gps features

and no before you ask, i am not connected in any way to selling them, just a very happy user keen to pass on a bargain

• Like Like x 1
  11. crabman

crabman Funster

I am thinking of getting a RV700 DVR anyone had an experience of this model, only reviews on the net are those by the sellers or makers and they would tell a buyer anything, no independent reviews, also looking through satnav forum by members so many like this but don't like that, same with us men getting a wife its just to confusing, so anyway getting back to the satnav RV700 anyone have one or tried one

12. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Sorry.. never heard of it had to Google to see what it was..

frankly I'd stick to the tried and tested Garmin.. Aldi had the Camper 660 LMT-D model on offer at £139.99.. best price on-line is around £250.. it was £300 when it first came out

I bought on last week and would highly recommend it

• Like Like x 1
  13. Speve

Speve Funster

Another vote for the Garmin Dezyl we have had one for the last four years and it's been very good although like most it does have its moments!!!

14. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Personally if you want a GPS stick to Garmin far better than the competition.
    As for the cheapo Chinese ones I had one and after they replaced it 3 times I gave up plenty of others had similar issues if you search.:eek:
    We use Copilot nowadays but having said that my phone blew up yesterday so lost Copilot. Guess what I got out yep my old Garmin Nuvi.(y)

15. crabman

crabman Funster

do they have free updates and Europe on the system??

thanks for the reply

16. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I'm using iPhone and google maps exclusively now.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

yes.. updates for life with Europe maps

forgot to say..

if you are interested, call Aldi customer services and they will advise if there are any left in you local store(s)

• Like Like x 1
  18. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Yes if you buy a model with the suffix LM (= lifetime maps) or LMT (= lifetime maps and traffic)

• Like Like x 1
  19. crabman

crabman Funster

thanks for all the info

crabs

20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The only sat nav I've seen described as a RV700 DVR is the Aguri one.
    Aguri is a fairly recent company, formed (I understand) by people who ran Snooper before they sold out to an American company.
    For me the Aguri is a non-starter (like Snooper) because they have continued the practice of not allowing customers to load their own third party POIs.
    @Khizzie was trialling an Aguri model a couple of months ago so he might have some useful information.

Personally I would agree with @scotjimland about the Garmin. I wouldn't buy any of the TomTom NAV4 for reasons explained here.

• Like Like x 1