Truck Sat Nav

Discussion in 'GPS Navigation' started by dotplus6, Jul 7, 2014.

1. dotplus6

dotplus6 Read Only Funster

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Happy with ours but not tried it in Europe

• Like Like x 1
  3. dotplus6

dotplus6 Read Only Funster

Thanks Graham - Hubby thinks we should just use good old fashioned maps :) Maybe he's right - it would be good for the kids to utilise some map reading skills & probably wouldn't do us any harm either - we've become too dependant on technology.

4. Southampton

Southampton Funster Life Member

Used mine down to Manilva (South Spain) and back earlier this year and did not have any problems. I inputted coordinates and it took me to the camp entrances every time. Very happy

• Like Like x 1
  5. Linda and Steph

Linda and Steph Funster

Mine kept freezing and losing its settings, it's now in a box under the stairs. The sun-shade fits the new Caravan Club model Snooper that I bought at Stratford though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Mine got me from Newbury to Maidenhead, about 25 miles all along the M4. It then "encountered a criticl error" and froze. I tried to clear this error but the unit did absolutely nothing none of the applications would work. I managed to turn the thing off eventually, left it overnight and tried again the next day. It now tells me about the critical error and asks me if I want to return to factory settings, when I click on" yes" it does absolutely nothing, just brings up the critical error message again. In my opinion it is a load of rubbish.
    As they say "Good no cheap, cheap no good"

• Like Like x 2
  7. dotsontour

dotsontour Funster

I am now worried, down through France ,Spain ,Portugal and back no problem ran side by side with a garmin for two days just to check then put garmin back in its box to be used if we do get into trouble.
    Perhaps I have been lucky ( it makes a change )
    Regards Dave

• Like Like x 2
  8. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Brian
    I had one and had exactly the same problem. They sent me a new card which worked for a few days then same problem again. Then they sent me a completely new unit which had the same problem straight out of the box. By then I'd had enough and got a refund and postage costs plus 6 emails begging me not to give them negative feedback.
    As you say total rubbish stick to my Garmins nothing else gets close for me.

9. gloworm

gloworm Funster

Brian there is a reset button on the back, you need to insert something with a point, if you already tried it please disreguard, but good luck with it,

Eric

10. lunarman

lunarman Funster

Just came back from 5 weeks in France sat nav worked well never lead us astray once.

11. ukbill

ukbill Funster

brain like eric said use the reset at the back mine has now took me all over the place with no problems france,germany,italy,austria,czech,poland,spain,portugal and everywhere in the uk i been with no problems at all (y)

12. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Thanks for your replies guys. I plugged the Sat Nav in and let it charge up while we went shopping. On our return I turned it on and got the same "critical error" message on the screen. None of the Apps worked, I just got a beep from the Navigation button. I then tried to reset back to factory default, it told me I would loose all of my POI's etc. I stuck a pin in the reset port and lo and behold something different came up. The error has now gone from "critical" to "fatal" and it is now asking me if I want to return to factory default settings again. I am now about to carry out a fine tuning adjustment using a rusty tent peg and a 3 pound club hammer. If that fails it's going back to meet its makers.
    Doctor Brisey, Satellite Navigation System Surgeon.

• Like Like x 1
  13. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Yes, still happy with ours. Taken us as far south as south of France and north to Scotland. No probs

Wyn

14. lunarman

lunarman Funster

Brian,

I believe this error may be caused if the unit switches itself off when the battery is depleted. Plug it into a power source and when it asks you to return to factory settings click "no". It should start up if it does shut it down correctly so that it does a proper controlled shut down. Then all should be well (hopefully)

John

15. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

when you lot find all the props.and how to fix them.then I will buy one.thanks in advance.

16. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Love ours. By my own fault, I had not set the weight limit, and, (as it turned out), the default is four tons. Approaching a railway bridge on a country road heading towards Brampton, Cumbria, on a road I know well, when it screamed out 'You are approaching a bridge with a weight limit of 3.5 tons'. Big deal, (thought I), well under that......But then Johnny sat nav would have nothing to do with me unless I took the alternate route, (which we didn't).
    It sulked for a whole day, until I set the correct weight into it. So, it works!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Mine is currently in the 'fatal error' phase. Will keep trying for a bit. It worked fine down to central France then threw a wobbly for no apparent reason.
    It was very cheap, so if it works you're lucky and if it doesn't, no great loss.
    I have two other satnavs in the MH and if all else fails my phone has quite a good satnav app on it.

18. Southampton

Southampton Funster Life Member

It looks like there is a fairly high failure rate. I will have to update my tom tom and carry that in reserve and see how long mine lasts, although to date it has been spot on and not a hint of a problem. If it fails then I will try Doctor Brisey's remedy !

19. ukbill

ukbill Funster

dont matter if ya sat nav is good or bad always carry maps best way there is

• Like Like x 3
  20. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Mine's only been used twice so far, going to the campsite alongside Nostell Priory recently it did warn me the route would take me along banned roads, or whatever the terminology. It was the long approach off the the A638 that was, or would have been a problem with a lorry. First trip took me a better route from the Garmin. So far so good.

• Like Like x 1