I saw it, but didn't want to ask :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
...had to collect one time with a lump hammer in my hand,

There's me thinking you were a nice guy Tony :whatthe: Remind me to avoid dark alleys when you're around ::bigsmile:

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
No realy Tom i'm a pussy cat
but this one particular intenational company could'nt understand why i insisted on being payed for work done while i was struggling to pay my bills
Untill the day i turned up ay their offices and threatened to take the dues out of the directors new BMW car
have to say that concentrated his mind
:winky::winky::roflmto::roflmto:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I can vouch for our Tony.

he's a gentle giant and a gentleman :winky::thumb:

OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Well, John, since Tony admits to threatening people with a hammer, I wouldn't want to meet someone you consider violent ::bigsmile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
We have a bodyguard on site:winky::roflmto:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
HI All

My first truck was aTK Bedford old 'D' reg followed by a 'K' reg AEC Mercury both flatbed rigids. Then took to artics 'J' plate Scania110 with a 10 speed splitter gearbox (pictured!) This was followed by numerous Scanias including a 'P'reg ex Astran 140 (pictured in Italy)

Only ever bought I new truck a 1982 Scania 142 388bhp again pictured. But yes Tony the 141s were very good easy to repair as well:thumb:

I know what you mean about collecting money Tony been lucky but never the less I have been caught :cry:but not for a lot of money spread over 35 odd years!!

Regards Pat

Attachments

• 100_1140.jpg
    100_1140.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 100_1137.jpg
    100_1137.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_1134.jpg
    100_1134.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 100_1135.jpg
    100_1135.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 23

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Tony a good guy!!!!!!!!:Eeek:
He's a Mother Trucker:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Rev Geo

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hi Pat

I remember Astrans
there was a fella called Chris Hooper owner driver worked for them and he did the last overland run to Qatar in 2005 i think it was . he used to have a Ford Transcontinental at on time.
Its all comes back now thinking how it took 2 weeks to cross 11 countries average trip was 4-5weeks round trip

Good old days or were they? :RollEyes:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi Tony

Yes heard of him last I heard he had a 143 topline Scania there was an article about him in one of the Truck magazines.

My friend Barry Barnes has spoken of him, Barry did the mid east run more times than any of them, firstly with Astran as adriver then with his own truck, then finally buying truck and trailer Astran would load it and then he would deliver the load and sell the outfit and fly home.

Anther trailer I thought of was a kangaroo did you know that one?

Regards pat

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
They were tilts that piggybacked on the railway the front legs had knees and would fold up. The roofs were rounded to go through the tunnels.

I know they ran from Le Havre to Turin I think

Heres a pic of one of mine picking one up from the railway to deliver in Italy

Pat

Attachments

• 100_1156.jpg
    100_1156.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 28

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Of course now i remember
Jameson used to have a base where i come from up in Manchester area Heywood/Middleton i think
it comes back eventualy Pat just takes a little longer these days :Sad:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Jamesons were in the middle of Manchester in Smith of Maddeson's Yard,
Sea Route Ferry were in Heywood I had many a night out in Heywood parked up next to the Talbot I think

Pat

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Pudsey Keith,

TS3 also had a nice sound to them, but never drove one. You could also make Fordson Major Tractors run backwards stalling on a hill with clouds of smoke from the Air Cleaner plus oil from the oil bath. Remember burning paper sacks to thaw outlet on Diesel tank and pipelines in icy conditions on wagons. Also sticking Wellies on exhaust pipe to warm them up.

David

hi David. I try to forget those bl+++y winters. the first fleet I looked after had a Sedon with a Perkins P6 and a Scammel coupling and a coach built cab as the pride of the fleet. To judge your road speed you counted the white lines in the road as they passed the gaps in the floor around the pedals. The cab heater ! you warmed yourself on the engine cover fortuneatly the exaust manifold was on the drivers side and close to the engine cover.
not so nice in summer thou.
My son reciently brought a huge Renault unit to show me. Every thing power driven, steering windows, a heater that would burn your feet off. the driving seat had its own suspention. :whatthe: wow, how things have changed over the last 50 years.

Pudseykeith

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
Hi Tony & Pat, just sittin'here enjoying the smell of diesel,bringing back memories.Andreas Merzario used to run those kangaroo trailers as well,looked like they came out of a scrap yard,pulled like it too.Worn out palm couplings,and no lights,they wuz good ol'days.:thumb:

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
good tread lads....im not a big boy like you lot but i loved my Bedford tk (meat wagon) to drive it was a pleasure it did what it says on the tin ,could throw it anywhere and had total faith in her .wish my rv was as easy to drive
Bedford tk was way ahead of its time

ps a second driver turned her over one day an i cried .i loved her polished her with a diesel rag every day even went home from work in her

dave:thumb:

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
good tread lads....im not a big boy like you lot but i loved my Bedford tk (meat wagon) to drive it was a pleasure it did what it says on the tin ,could throw it anywhere and had total faith in her .wish my rv was as easy to drive
Bedford tk was way ahead of its time

ps a second driver turned her over one day an i cried .i loved her polished her with a diesel rag every day even went home from work in her

dave:thumb:

Hi,

After the S Type Bedford a TK was better than driving a car, and was nicer to drive than Traders and Ford D series.
Reference Perkins P6, I always used to like listening to the little "hunt" on tickover.
Memories.:Cool:

David

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back