vanessawarren

Free Member
Jan 5, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Does anyone have any info on the most economical/attractive/fastest route from calais to gothenburg in a 6.5 metre van? I can see there are options regarding use of ferries/bridges etc. we would be travelling in Summer and have never been in this direction before. Any info on routes/pitfalls to avoid/overnights/sights to see etc gratefully received. Thanks

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
There are ferries from the Baltic coast to Southern Sweden which are very similar in size to the Channel vessels,they will probably be cheaper than the 2 bridges from Denmark.

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
We live in The Netherlands so I cannot give you any advise on the first part of your journey. But if you take a ferry to France, Belgium or Holland some information could be nice to know.

We prefer to use free of charge official camperplaces without any facility, so that will apply for all of the places i mention

When we go to Scandinavia our first stop can either be in Brunssum, The Netherlands or in Lotte Germany.

Brunssum, Heidestraat 20: 50.945975 5.984408, This is situated nicely

Lotte Germany, not as nice as Brunssum but very close to Highway 1 which goes directly north via Bremen and Hamburg: 52.271994 7.922771, got a cheap shop nearby as well. Dont recall whether it was Aldi or Lidl 52.272369 7.915665

As of Hamburg there are many ways to proceed. Back in the 90ties we preferred the ferry from Frederikshavn Denmark to Goteborg Sweden but we changed our route as of 2000 to the ferries Puttgarden -> Rodby and Helsingor -> Helsingborg (Instead of the ferry Helsingor -> Helsingborg you can also use the toll bridge to Malmo. We prefer the ferry because it gives you a break and prices are alike). If you decide to take the same route there is a lovely place to sleep here below the Faro bridge: 54.950496 11.983217

Broken Link Removed

Now your question was very unspecific so it was hard for me to define what you really wanted to know. If you want more information dont hesitate to ask. Hope this helped a little

Paul and Ineke

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
V

vanessawarren

Free Member
Jan 5, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
thanks for the info we were looking at those ferries, thought we might go via Puttgarden and back to Frierickshaven. Do you have to book these ferries in advance or can you just turn up ie are there lots of ferries per day? Also is it possible to take a dog? If so is it expensive?

Crwydryn

Free Member
Jan 5, 2012
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Compass 300
Exp
thanks for the info we were looking at those ferries, thought we might go via Puttgarden and back to Frierickshaven. Do you have to book these ferries in advance or can you just turn up ie are there lots of ferries per day? Also is it possible to take a dog? If so is it expensive?
I caught the Puttgarden ferry to Rodby last summer and just rode on with my bike without booking anything.
Think it's the same for all vehicles,they go every hour as well.
More frequent than our buses.::bigsmile:
Link:
Link Removed

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Hi,

We hate to book a ferry in advance, we dont like to be pressed by a fixed arrival or departure date. We just go to Puttgarden arrive and buy a Scandinavia ticket. We have never waited longer than an hour to embark. Okay you pay a little bit more, but if you make sure you get their 7% discount there will not be much of an increase in price left.
Broken Link Removed.

If you want direct help from Scandline you can always contact them:
Do you need help?
Please call the Scandlines Customer Service center:
0049 1802 11 66 99 (6 ct per call inside Germany fixed line network; german mobile prices maximum 42 ct/min)​

Broken Link Removed This discount is only given when you have either theLink Removed or the Link Removed You will have to show one of them at the ticket office in Puttgarden
In Holland we use the Camping Key Europe but as far as I know camping in England is not set up the same way as in Holland and other countries in Europe. Sweden switched to the Camping key Europe as of January this year as well.

Broken Link Removed (which i never complete because i buy it cash in Puttgarden but it gives a good 2012 indication)
You can change the inputs to what is required for you. Please note there are three different tariffs
1. Economy, you have to book via Internet and have a fixed date and time for departure.
2. Standard, price for a ticket bought in the harbour
3. Plus, is the highest price, also buy it in the harbour, but you can enter the boat via the VIP entrance. So no waiting time (if any)

Link Removed But be aware that if you want to enter Norway, their regulations are far more strict. Oops i just read in the Norwegian regulations that dogs need a bloodtest, but thought that one was cancelled. You must better check if for Norway this bloodtest is still required in 2012 or like in Sweden has been cancelled. Make sure you have the right information you might otherwise endanger your dog.

(and carefully read the regulations for import of alcoholic beverage into Norway !!!)

Hope this information is helpful for you

Wish you a great trip

Paul and Ineke

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back