Free Member
Dec 17, 2016
brentwood, uk
Funster No
MH
Rapiddo A class
Exp
Hi all
We are taking our second trip in our A class rapido in a week or so and wondered if anyone had advice for us. I've just upgraded to two batteries (both new), and 250w of solar power, so looking forward to a little bit of wild camping or off grid.
I have travelled to scotland many times and know where to go, but wondered what other people thought. Loch Lomond is about 450miles from home, so we were going to start our journey in the evening and stop off at maybe some services to have a rest to arrive somewhere on the way the next afternoon.
Initially I thought I'd get to Loch Lomond first but then noticed that we really have never stopped at the Lake district much. So I was looking for a place to stop there for maybe 3 nights to recover and reset into holiday mode, before setting off to Scotland, then maybe stopping at Loch lomond for a few days.

Next I quite fancied just touring around and stopping at odd places where you don't have to book. I've heard there are places where you can simply stop off for the night. Being after easter, I feel I only need to book the journey up, the rest I can book as we go. It's only for 10days so not a big holiday.

Any advice recomended.

Thank you
PS; Just me, the wife and our dog. My wife is dissabled so I like to find places near villages if more than 1 night.

Thanks

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Talking of Scotland has any taken a motorhome over to Coll?
How big is your van? I know there is one camp site on Coll.
I have some experience of the locals there and am not sure about what sort of welcome you would get if you tried wild camping.
Try Scottish Motorhome Wildcampers on FB if you are thinking about it, somebody on there will have tried it.

( If you read through the posts there isn't anywhere in Scotland that someone hasn't tried an over nighter ).

Upvote 0

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
How big is your van? I know there is one camp site on Coll.
I have some experience of the locals there and am not sure about what sort of welcome you would get if you tried wild camping.
Try Scottish Motorhome Wildcampers on FB if you are thinking about it, somebody on there will have tried it.

( If you read through the posts there isn't anywhere in Scotland that someone hasn't tried an over nighter ).
Thanks .... I'll take a look

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Jim Dowd

Free Member
Feb 24, 2017
West Lothian
Funster No
MH
Ford transit conversion
Exp
Since 2006 a bit of a newbie
Nice little tea room in Tarbet, behind the Hotel on the road to Arrochar. Also on that road about 300metres away there is a converted church that is a cafe and does meals, don't know what it's like though.

If you get really bored, between the tea room and the church, there is a bus stop where the Traffic Police hide to catch the speedsters that don't realise it's a 30mph speed limit.
Cheers for the info will give them a try.

Upvote 0

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Yeah we talk funny but are honest as the day is long very friendly people and we actually invented the so called funny money , as well as tyres , tarmacadam , penicillin, us navy , and there's no machine gun turrets on the border Yet

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Don't go there are fishy people in that great country trying to make you think they are gods gift to Scotland..

Upvote 0
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Yeah we talk funny but are honest as the day is long very friendly people and we actually invented the so called funny money , as well as tyres , tarmacadam , penicillin, us navy , and there's no machine gun turrets on the border Yet
Not to mention the telephone and TV and 101 other things you can't be without(y)

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We like to stop at Tan Hill Inn then Moffat on our way up . Enjoy . Sure you will .

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
We live at Cromarty, we never pay to stop overnight, wild camp all the time, went to Lossiemouth this weekend. Usually go to west coast, plenty of places to stay overnight, if you pitch up at layby or carpark and its full of cars, then park up (assuming you can) wait till about 5pm and most cars will have disappeared. Also been up East coast up to Helmsdale, Brora and Golspie.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
styleruk

styleruk

Free Member
Dec 17, 2016
brentwood, uk
Funster No
MH
Rapiddo A class
Exp
Will try a bit of wild camping between sites.
So far the paid sites have all been very good. The wild camping is about convenience rather than saving money. Eg, i would like to stay near Galloway first near the observotay, but there are no sites, so will wild camp nearby. Just spent 3 nights at Lomond woods site...Perfect. and has a machine that cleans your toilet cartridge

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back