Trip to Germany. (1 Viewer)

Feb 28, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 175
Exp
Hi all.
We are soon to embark on a trip in our home on wheels, heading towards Hanover to call and see my brother.
We intend using Aires as much as possible, going on the tunnel, looking for advise on possible stop overs, our first stop would be within 2hrs of Calais, we are away away for a month so no rush.
Having never used Aires, how safe would we be? Is it safe to investigate the areas, and leave the M/home? We have power bikes, so like to go off. Not really interested in City's, small towns and villages are more us, countryside and veiws. We hope to avoid the motorways.
We have all the books, apps for Aires and sites. Advise from seasoned travellers, is always useful. On the return journey we would like to come back on a different route.
Thanks in advance for any advise given.
Since joining, I have enjoyed and found the forum useful and helpful.
We are members of both the Caravan club, and the Camping & Caravan club, we rally with our local DA.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It depends which route your planning on taking but there are a few thing to consider and be aware of.

In France there are two type of aire:

There are the motorway/major road Aires de Service where you can stop overnight but will be sharing with trucks. These places are where 99% of the reports of trouble come from so if you have concerns it's best to avoid them.

Pretty much all towns and villages will have an Aire de Camping car where only motorhomes are permitted. These are generally safe.
You need to be aware that these places are not campsites and shouldn't be treated as such, they are places you can park up overnight, nothing more. Some are free, some aren't. Most will have water and waste facilities available. The odd few have EHU but those are comparatively rare. There are no rules about spacing as you'd find on a campsite so don't expect 6 metres to the next van. Think of it as a car park - if it's busy that's how close the next van will be. If you try and manufacture a big space you will either find a van squeezes in to it or you'll be told to move.

In Belgium things are similar although the Aires de Camping car are perhaps not as widespread.

Once you get into Germany you have Stellplatzes. There are a couple of main types - the municipal Stellplatz which are generally free but don't expect anything other than somewhere to park. The other type are the commercial Stellplatzes which are run as private businesses. They will have more facilities - water, waste, electric, even showers on some - but you pay for everything. Nothing will be included in the fee to park overnight. On the ones we've used the electric for example has been via coin operated meters.

The best way to find places is the Camper Contact app. You'll need the paid for option. That covers all of Europe and has filters so you can choose what type of location you want and is also based on user reviews so you can see what other people have to say about a location.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Maybe subscribe to Bord Atlas if you're doing Germany.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Cite Europe has a free aires within minutes of Calais brilliant for shopping / fuel and / MoHo services.
I've only been up in the north once and it is very industrial but Germany is wonderful where ever you get to.
Your route should take you through Brugge, definitely worth a stop over although the Aire is around 10 euros a night.
Aires(Stellplatz) are not usually free in Germany but usually only 5-10 euros a night.
If you have time have a look at the Mosel and stop over in Ypres for the last post at 8.00 pm every night - very moving.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Brugge is €19 low season and €25 high season but still worth a visit though.

Valkenburg in the Netherlands close to the German border along with Cologne are worth a visit.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Bruges could be a candidate for a first night stop if you take that route. It's only about an hour and a half from Calais.

Not really on a direct route to Hanover though.

OP
OP
Tinker2
Feb 28, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 175
Exp
Thought about this one, Sitecode: 24474
Noordakkerstraat 1A, 8750 Wingene, Belgium
We are not to worried about going direct.
We are on permanent jollyday.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Thought about this one, Sitecode: 24474
Noordakkerstraat 1A, 8750 Wingene, Belgium
We are not to worried about going direct.
We are on permanent jollyday.
That's brilliant. Ask a particular question and butter up the seasoned Moho ers, get a variety of suggestions and then answer the question yourself and in under 7 hours. Brilliant

OP
OP
Tinker2
Feb 28, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 175
Exp
I am listening, and reading, I think I must spend 1/2 my life on this flipping phone.

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
Just an addition to Nicknic's very comprehensive answer above. In theory, (and in town centres) the aires are just for parking up overnight and no-one puts out tables etc because this is regarded as camping rather than parking but in practice you will find that out in the villages and countryside aires it is usually perfectly acceptable to do so and you will usually have room between the vans for a table and chairs. We have often been the only ones on an aire in the countryside and have discovered some really lovely ones. The village ones within walking distance of "commerces" we find are the best for us. Having said all that, do be prepared, particularly on Bank Holidays, to accept that you could end up very close-parked if you are on a very popular aire. A little advance planning should take care of this eventuality. My last addition - if the weather is good and you are heading for a busy area, try to park up by mid-afternoon or you may run the risk of not being able to get a space on the aire of your choice. Have a wonderful time.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Bear in mind that some places have "Environmental Zones" and your MH nay, or may not, qualify for the appropriate sticker, without which you could be fined :(. Some places eg Cologne, Bremen have corridors down which non-compliant vehicles can travel, to get to their StellPlatzes.

You say "we would like to come back on a different route" but without saying where you plan to go nor how you plan to get there. Note my emphasis on the word plan: we start off with a probable route but it invariably changes, although specific targets, such as a family birthday at Hanover, have to be adhered to. Similarly, we have a list of possible stopping points, but if we get to one and don't like it (or it is closed/flooded/heavily occupied) we move on to planB (and quite often, C,D,E,F etc) ;).

To me, one of the joys of my MH is the freedom to go where I want, see what takes my fancy (often in the light of local knowledge, or a suggestion from a fellow traveler) and enjoy the uncertainty of what tomorrow might bring. Without knowing your tastes, I would not presume to comment on where to go and what to see :whistle:.

Enjoy your trip - Gordon

OP
OP
Tinker2
Feb 28, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 175
Exp
Hi we have been to Germany a few times, without the Motorhome, as my Brother lives there, I have no doubt he we tell us where to go ( give us recommendations .)My Wifes more worried about safety, we will not be using motorway Aires. Villages are more us.
On the return journey I would like to visit The Arras Memorial is in the Faubourg-d'Amiens Cemetery, as my Grandfathers brother is remembered there, and I dont think any family member has visited, so would like to pay my respects on behalf of my family.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We were in Arras a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday for the massive market they have in the squares, beautiful town and a wonderful Cathedral.
It was completely rebuilt after the first world war exactly as original.
There is a free Aire and services (jetton) on the northern edge of town but get there early - although the French park anywhere in the cul-de-sac when it's busy.

upload_2017-5-21_21-35-25.png

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We Like Arras we were there a couple of years ago there must have been trouble the day before we got there as the city had a security guard on duty for the whole time we were there and constant police visits

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back