hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Lots, on and off, way back to VW splitty`s!
Not strictly a touring trip but I am scheduled for a trip to Holland tomorrow, is there anyone en route that can update me on the actual weather and road conditions?

I will be setting off from Portsmouth, in a Navara truck, at 7.00 am in the morning, heading for the tunnel, then directly to Groningen in the north of Holland.

Any updates would be extremely welcome. :thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
This was posted on another forum,, which gives updates from around the globe each morning,,

This is from my mate in Holland. =

Re: Weather for England, Scotland, Wales, N-Ireland, America, Spain, Holland and Denm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lots of rain en snow today

OP
OP
H

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Not too worried once we cross the channel, more concerned about the M25, M20 debacle if it snows tonight. My Dutch buddy already has snow with more forecast each day we are there. Minus 8 tonight he says.:shout:

Hmm, severe gale warnings to boot! might not even get off the island!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi Hailman
It's currantly blizzard conditions in the ashford area but this is forcast to bugger-off, the main warning is for black-ice in the morning. as we're expecting -4/-6 overnight.
Can't tell you more than that as i only look local unless we're going somewhere.

cheers...nige

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If you have a look on google earth, activate weather and you can see the current formations.

You should have snow around portsmouth area, and probably be in Holland shortly afterwards. Use 4wd high if need be on smaller roads, and when going down hills don't touch anything and let the engine do the work. Steep hills may require low box(stop to activate) - on ice, 4wd is no real advantage if all fours are on ice. Try to keep at least one wheel on something solid/slushy centres to aid grip.

Have fun!:thumb:

OP
OP
H

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Thanks for the replies, no snow on the island this morning, just hope the boats are running ok. My mate is driving so lets hope he knows how to operate his truck. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi there!

Orange alert on all northern and eastern France ! Snow has been falling down all night , and, we, frogs are usually very bad with the white stuff!!!::bigsmile:::bigsmile: It might be gone though , by the time you get there!!!The roads will be very icy as well so even if you are a good driver , don't forget you'll be surrounded by rubish drivers:roflmto::winky:

Well, that's it you 've been warned!!:Cool:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

OP
OP
H

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Got to Holland , no problem with the roads apart from the volume of traffic giving long delays around the big cities. Snow was around 3"-4", main roads completely clear, side roads have a covering of ice and snow but passable with care. Minus 8 this morning, now warmed up to minus 5.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back