Jun 28, 2011
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all
we're planning to go to France in our motorhome for 2 weeks but not until September. Would like to go to either Brittany of Normandy, can't decide on which. can any one recommend sites in either and also nice scenic route.

Many thanks and a Happy New Year to all.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Honfleur is wonderful, there is a campsite Camping du Phare and an Aires both within easy walking distance of the town, lots of lovely harbour-side restaurants ::bigsmile:

From there you can meander along the coast, lots of sites and lots of WWII history in the area.

Whatever you do - enjoy it

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
You can easily do much of both in two weeks and from our experience you will not be disappointed as there are some wonderful places to visit.

If you have not been before you will not believe how quiet the roads are and how much easier driving and navigating is.

It may be a good idea to treat yourselves to the ASCI book and the book, All The Aires, you should find they will be a sound investement.

Do not dismiss the aires or fear them most are just brilliant for motorhomers

More important ENJOY

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Good chioce

Good choice as stated by others wonderful places to see ,step back in time, great people, have toured here on M/c and campers will be that way in Sept on way to west coast
You can also try
Aires de Services Camping Cars
Anyone wishing to download the Aires in France for sat-nav, have a look at this page select your sat-nav type and register

http://www.icampingcar.fr/

It is free to register and they will send you a download free to your email address.

Plug your sat-nav into your pc and transfer the poi Aires de Services Camping Cars sorted!
In French but easy to navigate task pane on left enjoy

oggy oggy oggy :thumb::thumb::thumb:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Rronyag, as said before if this is your first trip to france, it's easier to drive over there not so much traffic ,straighter roads and satnav takes all the strain out of map reading, I usually put in the aires map refs into satnav and just keep an eye out for if it is going to take us thru towns instead of using ring roads etc. We too are off in that direction early sept , usually stay mostly on aires to keep the cost down and motor about 180 miles for first 3 days to get down to south east brittany then spend 4 or 5 days meandering about morhiban area of brittany, then bimble my way back up to dinan then back along coast to dunkirk. We are going like you for 15 days . I'm waiting to see what info all the rest of the fun members will give to help us both, will keep monitoring this post ,still open to suggestions on what to do and what to see.
Terry:sin:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Brittany

As Well as Sat Nav, also using 10” Netbook, on dash mount with USB/GPS dongle works well with
Autoroute 2010 & MapPoint 2011, and being a lone traveler, saves stopping to get out maps much more detail than satnav updates every 5 secs .Plot a route leave a track, see if you are where you should be before you get lost.(saying that have found some great places by just getting lost)
Others on site probably use samemethod perhaps ,netbook that is,not getting lost ::bigsmile:

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you want to save some pennies, get an early Dover-Calais ferry and drive to either Honfleur in Normandy or Fougeres in Brittany on your first day. Both have good Aires. Personally I'd favour Brittany as it gets less rain than Normandy. Honfleur is picturesque, Fougeres has an impressive chateau.

Places to visit in Brittany - Carnac (unique lines of standing stones), Quiberon peninsula, Concarneau (walled town in harbour), Saint Guenole (beaches/coastline), Locronan (village with character), and anyone not visiting the Pink Granite Coast up near Perros-Guirec and Tregastel-Plage is in my humble opinion a damn fool. All these places have Aires.

The only place we visited in Brittany that didn't impress us much was Arzon - all modern seaside development.

I'm sure there'll be no shortage of other recommendations.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
magicsurfbus;If you want to save some pennies, get an early Dover-Calais ferry and drive to either Honfleur in Normandy or Fougeres in Brittany on your first day. Both have good Aires. Personally I'd favour Brittany as it gets less rain than Normandy. Honfleur is picturesque, Fougeres has an impressive chateau.

Places to visit in Brittany - Carnac (unique lines of standing stones), Quiberon peninsula, Concarneau (walled town in harbour), Saint Guenole (beaches/coastline), Locronan (village with character), and anyone not visiting the Pink Granite Coast up near Perros-Guirec and Tregastel-Plage is in my humble opinion a damn fool. All these places have Aires.

The only place we visited in Brittany that didn't impress us much was Arzon - all modern seaside development.

I'm sure there'll be no shortage of other recommendations.

Hi Magicsurfbus, Yes must agree rose granite coast well worth a visit but did that area last time in Brittany ,didn't do much in the south last time so planning to go via dover pm, sleep at dunkirk ferry terminal then trundle down to st nicholas de bliquetuit on the seine, then to fougeres onto carnac & quiberon, bimble along coast to concarneau. then across country up to dinan , back via clecy etc. Thanks for your suggestions.
Terry:sin:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
..then to fougeres onto carnac & quiberon..

Fougeres has two Aires - the smaller one next to the chateau is the nicer of the two (48.355386,-1.210884 in Google Maps).

The Carnac Aire (47.585239,-3.082579 in Google Maps) is free, with services, and within walking distance of one of the standing stone alignments, but it's better to use bikes or to re-park if you want to see the others.

On Quiberon, there's a little-known free Aire not far from a sandy beach at Port Blanc (47.523653,-3.146388 in Google Maps) - no services but a public loo close by.

Bon Voyage

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We caught the Newhaven to Dieppe ferry last April and spent 6 weeks touring Brittany.

Great time even though the weather was pants.
Loads of aires , in fact the most in any region of France.

You must go to Finisterre, thats the 'stick-out' bit right at the end :Smile:.

Fabulous cliff and sea scenery and prehistoric megaliths and even WW2 sites.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We used to have a house in Brittany, cotes d amour area, in a small villiage called Jugon le lac. There is a campsite right on the lake, the villiage is beautiful. Dinan is a must see, and all the coast, erquy, val Andre, sable d,or have great beaches. Dinard a greats easide town, Cancalle great for oysters. Beats Normandy hands down. South brittany, Carnac area, much less rugged than the north. September great time to go.
Phil n Gill

OP
OP
R

rronyag

Free Member
Jun 28, 2011
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks to everyone, I think it's going to be Brittany. great info from you all.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back