Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
Ferry to Calais in a week or so. Ghent, Brussels, Luxembourg, pointing towards Strasbourg then towards Geneva. Haven't decided on a route back and length of stay depends on how quickly we spend. We will avoid all toll routes as they produce massive panic attacks in the cab. "Where does the money go? I can't reach. You do it then! " Beep beep beep behind us. Hopefully we don't need any vignettes of any description or anything like that. Only used Aires a couple of times and that was just for day parking - many seem nearly as expensive as sites with good facilities. I know that is probably close to heresy for many Funsters who will refer to free Aires and cheap Aires but horses for courses as they say and this old nag likes good showers/toilets and many feet between vans.

OP
OP
Chaumo

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
Try Alsace its more or less on your route we like aires but there was a nice looking site at eguiseheim Broken Link Removed gives you an idea of the village.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
There are very few aires with toilets uneven fewer with showers, if you want site facilities make sure you have an ACSIv book and membership, it will save you a lot of money in the off season and in high season is invaluable for finding sites with the facilities you want

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
By the way all the aires we used in Alsace were free the one at Obernai was just outside the town walls we loved it as it was free!!! and convenient. No showers or loos though but we have our own. The town square is very nice and theres a folk dancing night once a week.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
One thing I would advise if you are unsure about Aires but also not totally dedicated to sites , is France passion, just google France passion.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Ferry to Calais in a week or so. Ghent, Brussels, Luxembourg, pointing towards Strasbourg then towards Geneva. Haven't decided on a route back and length of stay depends on how quickly we spend. We will avoid all toll routes as they produce massive panic attacks in the cab. "Where does the money go? I can't reach. You do it then! " Beep beep beep behind us. Hopefully we don't need any vignettes of any description or anything like that. Only used Aires a couple of times and that was just for day parking - many seem nearly as expensive as sites with good facilities. I know that is probably close to heresy for many Funsters who will refer to free Aires and cheap Aires but horses for courses as they say and this old nag likes good showers/toilets and many feet between vans.

You'll need a vignette if driving through Switzerland.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
By the way all the aires we used in Alsace were free the one at Obernai was just outside the town walls we loved it as it was free!!! and convenient. No showers or loos though but we have our own. The town square is very nice and theres a folk dancing night once a week.
That's where we are spending our first night motorhoming!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Look at google earth and beware of your satnav ours tried to take us down a farm track just follow the signs (I think it was signposted1) and have a great time. It is just a car park but a good location. If you need to empty/fill you can at he campsite the other side of town for a charge but if you look up flot bleu on the internet you could probably find one near. Theres a little tourist train that taker you up the top of the hill to look around . Here it is on google earth https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...b:0xc1ebb42497ef5fe5!8m2!3d48.46226!4d7.48168

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
QUOTE="Alistair33, post: 2308829, member: 44753"]That's where we are spending our first night motorhoming![/QUOTE]

I'd spend the first few nights nearer to home so you can collect the items that you have forgotten or get in touch with your mh dealer more easily so snagging issues can be resolved faster if it really is your first night motorhoming.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Be very careful the next morning after your first overnight stop. We stopped at a campsite in the countryside in France and the next day set off, down a deserted lane, travelled about 300 yards and suddenly realised that we were driving on the wrong side of the road! Could have been a disaster but, fortunately, lesson learned with no consequences. So easy for the mind to slip into its 'normal' mode.

OP
OP
Chaumo

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
You'll need a vignette if driving through Switzerland.
Hadn't realised that so thanks. Looked into it and all a bit complicated but I think I can buy a card to last 10 days for campers over 3.5.
Thanks all for your responses.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back