Trip cut short..... (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Planned a 2 day trip away to enjoy this weekends weather. Went to Bladons Chain CC site at Woodstock - lovely little site, nice pitch ...All good.

That was until the Beauty Terrorists puppy - Indy the 9 year old Golden Retriever, started to be unwell. Vomiting and diahorea... Poor chap was trying to go to the loo every 20 mins and struggling.

Kept an eye on him, starved him but gave him lots of water.... Well through the night things took a turn for the worst...lots of vomiting but then lots of blood from the rear end...

This morning he couldn't move and was very lethargic - still passing blood.

Packed up as quick as we could and shot back home to get an emergency appointment with our vet... We are both in pieces.... The Beauty Terrorist is beside herself. Indy was immediately put onto a drip to replace electrolytes and iron... X-Ray's, etc... Lots of gas, internal bleeding, significant inflammation of the gut and pancreas..... Doing full blood tests, toxicology etc to try to determine cause and then assess next actions.

Vet has advised he will be with them for a few days at least and that he is very very poorly.... We are shocked at how he went from being so well yesterday morning to where he is now.

We have just got home and it is awful.... House is so empty....and we both feel so helpless.

And I don't get attached to animals....

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sorry to hear that.. Dogs are so good at hiding pain or living with issues it is sometimes hard to spot the build up.
I really hope all turns out well for him ( and of course for you )

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Oh dear hope he's okay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pug907

Free Member
Sep 23, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
none yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Our dog had a similar thing a few months ago. He went downhill so quickly, but after treatment overnight, he bounced back equally as quick. Hope he's on the mend. (y)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I had the same happen to my chihuahua when I was at the Devizes cc site.
Very ill and they kept her in. I was in tears leaving her in the vets. Full recovery but the vet couldn't tell me what caused it.
Fingers crossed for you x

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We also had similar, but ours is an adult dog, and coped better than your puppy.

An emergency appointment at the Vet diagnosed severe bowel infection. An intravenous injection of antibiotics, followed by a 14 day course of antibiotic tablets was prescribed, together with three days of administering probiotics via a syringe directly into her mouth. The Vet said this was to replace the "good" gut bacteria that she had lost due to constant toilet requirement.

Within 48 hours she had completely turned around and, within five days was as good as new.

We both hope you have as good an outcome. Worrying times!

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
low_I%20Can%20Say_cover.jpg

GET WELL SOON INDY.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Poor chap, hope he recovers quickly

Very worrying when pets fall ill, they can't exactly tell us the problem You've obviously done all that can be expected of you, now he is in the right hands.

All very worrying, keeping my fingers crossed for you

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I had the same happen to my chihuahua when I was at the Devizes cc site.
Very ill and they kept her in. I was in tears leaving her in the vets. Full recovery but the vet couldn't tell me what caused it.
Fingers crossed for you x

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Severe diarrhoea causes blood from the rear so hopefully it will just be a terrible gastric infection. Indy is in the right place and I'm sure will be so much better after 24hrs of vet care.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I hope Indy gets better soon wish you good luck and things turn out well.Now is when you realise how loved and special they are .Hopefully Indy will be home soon.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Good luck for Indy. Not had a good start to his life but hopefully he will get stronger every day.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Fingers crossed everything is ok.

As much as I sometimes think my Lab can talk to me, when he's out of sorts, I hate that he can't tell me what's wrong :(

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Thank you all for your kind messages.

Latest update is that they have boosted the electrolytes and intervenous antibiotics. Still passing blood and they are unsure as to the extent of internal bleeding and swelling.

Whilst the Beauty Terrorist calls him a puppy, he is actually nine years old.... Never been ill before and here's hoping he is a fighter...

Think it will be a long night...

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Only just seen this, at least Indy is in the right place to get all the best care.
One of our dogs had a similar thing about 3 years ago but he pulled through ok.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back