Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I have one of those dash top solar panels that I used on my last MH tp keep a trickle charge going into the engine battery.
The new MH is on an X250 base and the 12v power sockets are not energised without the ignition switched on. So how do I utilise this solar panel ?:Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You could buy a cigarett lighter socket and fit it to your dash, take two wires direct to your starter battery + -, you will then be able to use your panel.
you will also now have a socket that will be live at all times and coulld be used for other things, bear this in mind when selecting the cable to use and fuse the live side accordingly:thumb:
Geo
ps tis the centre pin of the socket that is live

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
You could buy a cigarett lighter socket and fit it to your dash, take two wires direct to your starter battery + -, you will then be able to use your panel.
you will also now have a socket that will be live at all times and coulld be used for other things, bear this in mind when selecting the cable to use and fuse the live side accordingly:thumb:
Geo
ps tis the centre pin of the socket that is live

That''s what I did because I got fed up with the sat. Nav. turning it'self off every-time I stopped.

Did an over ride once & it kept going until it ran the battery flat and I had not realised it. Thought it was broke. :whatthe:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Hi Dellwood the one I`ve got came with a cigar plug and a socket with 2 little crocodile clips so it could be connected to a battery :thumb::thumb::thumb:Cheers Rob:thumb: W

OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
That's the other option Rob. Lift the passenegr side battery cover & use the clips :Doh:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I had exactly the same problem, so I disconnected the socket from the ignition side and ran new wires down to the vehicle battery, if you do the same make sure you have an inline fuse.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

first5

Free Member
Apr 11, 2009
Newcastle upon Tyne
Funster No
Exp
If it is the same as ours, it will have a cigar lighter and a similar accessory socket next to it. Can you not wire one of them direct to the battery? Just out of curiosity, is it worth connecting one of these panels to the leisure battery.

OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Come on First5 - I live in Newcastle as well, whenever was there enough sunlight for 2 solar panels ::bigsmile:

I have already sorted the leisure battery with a solar panel, but just wondered how to configure the existing cab sockets for ease of use:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back