Travels with Tushka (with apologies to Steinbock) (1 Viewer)

canorman

Free Member
Oct 19, 2011
World (from East Sussex)
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER 2 berth
Exp
Set off Newhaven - Dieppe 26/9/2013
Hi I'm a 62 year old, lost my Spanish wife of 42 years three years ago, just sold my house - completion on 4th November and fancy travelling for awhile with my four year old Hungarian Puli bitch - Tushka. Probably down through France and Spain as a first run. I'm struggling to decide whether a smallish motorhome or smallish caravan is the way to go? I've looked at the small Romahome and decided they are too small. Looked at 2002 Autosleeper Lancashire with 17000 on the clock which is probably as big as I'd want to go for a motorhome. I liked it a lot - felt roomy enough to spend a wet afternoon in without going stir crazy. I've also been looking at the small Eriba or T@b caravans and thinking of getting something like a Skoda Yeti 4x4 as a tow car. I feel that I'd like something that could be standalone-ish. I've no idea how often people stop off site? Any suggestions or comments gratefully received.

(In case you've never read it - the title of this intro refers to Steinbocks book - "Travels with Charlie" about his journey around the US in a pickup truck with a camper back with his poodle as a partner)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi, if you want to spend time exploring France then a motorhome is a must. Caravans are not allowed to use the French Aires system. Almost every town in France provides small campsites for "camping cars" many provide more than one. These sites are very often free or make just a small token charge, some are no more than carparks, others are in stunning countryside locations next to rivers, lakes or mountains. We have our own Aires Map showing a couple of hundred, but there are literally thousands of them throughout the country. Caravans do have some advantages and many people would buy a caravan tomorrow if they were allowed on Aires. But a small motorhome like you propose is much better than towing. Touring in Europe, even a small caravan, would be a mistake. However do remember this is only my opinion and more will be along soon enough.

Meanwhile welcome to the fun:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My view is simple, if you plan on staying a long time in one place a caravan wins easily ( more space and free vehicle to run around ) but if you want to keep moving then a MH is easier ( just stop anywhere appropriate, kettle on, sleep move ).

Either way it is A Good Plan, enjoy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the fun. As said below on the continent there are so many aires often with free electric hookup that there is no choice for me. I have never stayed on a site in my own van there yet. but there is always a first time, we shall have to see in the future. A motorhome is for touring, i.e. moving on frequently whilst a caravan sites on a site, often only one for the duration of a holiday. So for me its a no brainer motorhome every time.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hi Canorman
The above answers generally define the differences between caravan and motorhome preferences, i.e short stays in different locations or roots down for a week or two. Another consideration is your general health/mobility, I moved from caravanning to Motorhome because of a mobility problem and find the Motorhome is so much easier to set up and decamp. I motorhome but tend to stay in places for a week. ::bigsmile:riving2:

OP
OP
canorman

canorman

Free Member
Oct 19, 2011
World (from East Sussex)
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER 2 berth
Exp
Pushed over the edge . . .

Thanks for the replies . . . I suppose I was already edging towards a campervan and so the replies have tipped me over the edge! Put in an offer on campervan. No reply yet. Perhaps I'll join the what next threads if the offer is accepted. Thanks for the welcome Chris.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hello and welcome from France.
I am very sorry for your loss. Know how difficult it can be to motivate yourself again.

I didn't realise until I read Jim's post that caravans couldn't use French aires (& I live here :Doh:)

Your line of imagining yourself in a motorhome on a rainy day is a good one, and one I used in choosing mine. Also looked for where my dogs and cats would travel safely.
My daughter and her husband have recently bought a caravan, but I didn't feel comfortable towing or manoeuvring a caravan on my own.

Travelling with dogs in France is easy---I got told off for leaving mine OUTSIDE the local tourist office and was told to bring them in. As long as they are passported the re-entry into the UK is straightforward and will become simpler after January 2012.

Good luck with the motorhome search-you'll know when you've found the right one.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi canorman, welcome to the fun, I've read all the above and can't possibly offer any further advice.

Just one thing, I'm not convinced you'll know the right M/H straight away.
Sit in it, lay in it, actually sit on the loo, stand in the shower. Stand at the cooker and imagine you're making a meal. Is there enough room for all your clothes,toys, etc.

Doing all this is fun, the fun starts here, M/H the only way to go.

Best of luck, keep yer pecker up...............Griff:thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
HI Canorman and welcome you will find just about anything you ask on here someone will know about and help if they can

OP
OP
canorman

canorman

Free Member
Oct 19, 2011
World (from East Sussex)
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER 2 berth
Exp
OK - I'm convinced - Motorhomes is where it's at!!

Call me easily convinced - but your replies have convinced me. I'm now the nearly proud new owner of a 2002 AUTOSLEEPER ' LANCASHIRE' FIAT DUCATO 2 BERTH 1.9TD with 17000 miles on the clock. It looks as-new inside and under the bonnet. Had my offer accepted and now subject to a mechanical inspection me and my dog'll join the "travelling people".

So probably need to move from the introduction thread to the "what do I do about . . . ." threads.

Thanks for your warm welcome and interest.

Chris & Tushka

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome cant add much to what has been said already but as for MH size have you thought about a van conversion type ideal for you and the dog and can be parked in towns easily.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back