Travelling with the dog

Discussion in 'Pets' started by John & Diana, Jun 19, 2010.

1. John & Diana

John & Diana Read Only Funster

Hi

We are currently looking at motorhomes - probably a Van-conversion such as an Autosleeper Stratford. We are wondering what it is like to take your dog with you. We have an 8 month old Airedale Terrier called Florence. She is quite lively!

Where do your dogs sleep and how do they cope with the travelling - do you put them in a harness whilst you are on the road?

Any advice welcome.

John and Diana

2. motorvating

motorvating Read Only Funster

Thats a big dog for any size van, but it depends on their character rather then their size. He will either take to it, or he will be a royal pain in the bottom and destroy your van.

We have a miniature pinscher that is very lively but takes to the RV like a fish out of water. He sits on the barrel chair with a harness on, and sleeps in his bed placed in the passenger foot well, which was his choice. Min Pins are the size of a large cat, so find it easy to adapt to the smaller dimensions of living space.

3. KSH

KSH Read Only Funster

We have 2 Yorkies, they always travel in a cage because when their not in one they try and jump on my knee, not good when travelling down a motorway at 70mph!
    Funny thing is their both travel sick even though they have been in cars since 8 week old, this only happens in the car though, never when we are in the motorhome and we can't work out why, maybe its a speed thing?? only do 60 in the MH and errmmm 70 in the car :Blush:

4. motorvating

motorvating Read Only Funster

I seem to remember that vehicles build a static charge when in motion, and that can make us travel sick.

5. ddavewoods

ddavewoods Read Only Funster

we have a South African Mastiff (Boerboel) and a Staffy, the Boerboel drives and the Staffy Navigates :Laughing:

well given half a hance they would.

In all seriousness, they both travel well laying on seats and they sleep on the bed at night !!

6. Sneezles

Sneezles Read Only Funster

We also travel with 2 Yorkies and they are so good to take, they have taken to it brilliantly.
    On the travel sickness thing - one of ours would travel for exactly 45 mins before being sick, Went to the vet and they gave us a bottle of Vallergan which is usually used as an antihistamine(sp) in children, she has 1ml in a tiny syringe an hour before travelling and she has not been sick since, it lasts all day so doesnt need to be re-administered later in the day.
    Works out very cheap too, bottle is 100 ml and cost about £16 for the bottle.
    Ask your vet it has done wonders for us.

7. schojac

schojac Read Only Funster

Hi,

we have a rescue greyhound, always harnessed and he has his own seat belt clip for our sakes as well as his. Last thing I need is 30 Kg of dog hitting us from behind or bouncing around the MH.

8. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Tara travels and sleeps where she likes.

have a look at her in my avatar and that should tell you why.:thumb:

9. champers

champers Funster Life Member

Just a thought, do you have the radio on in the car and not in the m/h
    (speakers in the back) as lots of young puppies are nervous of this, especailly if they are from a quiet household / background

hoping they are settled soon

10. vwalan

vwalan Funster

mine does thousands of miles home and abroad. sits/sleeps on back seat of truck .best thing they ever did was pets passports. mine left before they came out and is a real travelling dog. must speak several dog languages now .

11. RVfulltimer

RVfulltimer Read Only Funster

Hi we have two jack russels and have travelled all round main land europe one wants to sit on judes lap all the time and one hides under the the sofa .As vanallan says the passport for dogs was the best thing ever you do not need one to get out of the uk only back in we did ours in spain a lot cheaper than the uk and the vets are very helpfull with the 24 / 48 hour rule for coming back to the uk.The law states that the dogs must be in a cage or harness but thats up to you,

12. RVfulltimer

RVfulltimer Read Only Funster

Sorry that should be VW ALAN my mistake

13. vwalan

vwalan Funster

no probs .been called worse . dont like being called late for me tea though.

14. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi

We have 2 toy poodles that travel with us both enjoy the trips. They travel in travelling crates for their and our safety and seem to enjoy the experience.
    In fact when going out at home both will head for the motorhome rather than the car so it seems they like it.
    Both sleep in crates on site as well as at home with no problems, in fact they will often return to a crate during the day if they want to be alone, strange but the other dog seems to respect that the one in the crate wants to be alone.

We have had other dogs prior to these and have always done the same with the same results.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

15. ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies Read Only Funster

I'm heading off to Europe in my Bessacarr E765 with my 3 Yorkies. Chloe (15) is usually dreadful in the car so I've bought a 2nd hand travel cot to put her in (don't do cages) and the other 2 can either go in that with her or be secured with a car harness. :thumb:

16. Happy Hippy

Happy Hippy Read Only Funster

I had already been full time on the road a couple of years when I got my dog, a rescued lurcher. She was already used to the travelling life when I got her and has taken to life in the bus very well. She sleeps where she likes, usually sharing my bed, and she keeps me warm on the cold winter nights, haven't needed my hot water bottle since I've had her :Smile: When we are moving she sits on one of the seats, without restraint, at first she did want to sit on my lap while I was driving :Eeek: but she knows not to do that now :Smile: She's an excellent guard dog, barks and growls if anyone comes near the bus when we are inside, which tends to discourage any unwelcome visitors, and she's great company, as fulltime solo wildcamping can be a wee bit lonely at times, but not with a constant canine companion. Dogs are amazing, lovely great warm furry things, they give so much and ask for so little :Smile:

17. iluvmyrv

iluvmyrv Read Only Funster

Hi.We have a German Shepherd who has travelled all over Europe with us. He loves being in the RV and when we are on the road he sits/lies in front of the passenger seat. He barks too command if we have any problems on service areas.

18. Smoogy

Smoogy Read Only Funster

Our travelling companion is a 3 year old Weimaraner who usually sleeps on the sofa when en route but also likes to 'eyeball' anyone driving too close behind.:Eek!:

19. KSH

KSH Read Only Funster

Yeah, tried them anti-static strips you can but but it did no good

Have radio on in both

Thanks, I'll look into that, tried the sickness tablets, ginger biscuits etc
    I'll just have to sell the car and use motorhome all the time, no problem in that :Eeek:

20. jennyd

jennyd Read Only Funster

We set off with a van conversion Trigano and I have to say would of struggled to take our boxer (Billy) with us, in fact when the weather was wet we struggled to fit in ourselves, however we have now got a coachbuilt and have recently taken Billy with us for a week tourning Scotland, and it was excellent. We bought a good quality harness and this has an attachment that means you can fasten it into the seatbelt clip, Billy lays on the seat and sleeps his way through the journey - it took us 11hours to get home but with a few stops for the usual he coped perfectly!!! I would not however contemplate taking him without the harness and seat belt. Enjoy your hols!!! :thumb: