Travelling with Pets

Discussion in 'How To' started by scottie, Jun 19, 2014.

1. scottie

scottie Funster

Have just come off another Motorhome and Camping forum where the discussion was about how people travel with their dogs in a motorhome. I appear to have created some lively discussion and fortunately a change of attitude in some of the actions that people were taking with regard to securing their pets on a journey. I would be interested in any Funster feedback as to what measures people take to ensure their dogs etc are safe when travelling. The sorts of things coming up were, dogs on passengers lap, unsecured, dogs on their blanket, rear lounge area, unsecured. Dogs in the front passenger footwell, unsecured, virtually everyone missing the point.:Sad:

• Like Like x 1
  2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

its been discussed a few times on here, but its always good to remind people. a 10kg dog or other unsecured load can easily kill somebody in a collision by hitting them with a force well in excess of the weight.

personally i secure my three dogs in harnesses clipped into seat belts. i have added 2 extra clips to my van by bolting a double seatbelt clip through the floor. i do it for their safety and ours. as puppies they travelled in a crate clipped to the seatbelts

• Like Like x 3
  3. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Ours has a harness that's used sometimes... But he often lays between the driver and passenger seats up against the bulkhead... In which case............... No harness.

4. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

I just replied on the subject on FB

You are right about the lack of appreciation. One reason we got the Pilote was the huge lounge area and the fact that we could secure the dog crate to the seats. Not ideal as the dogs aren't secured directly but much better than nothing and they can't go anywhere or distract anyone. In the previous van the dog crate was similarly secured between the dinette seats but very little room so a smaller crate and only room for one dog.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  5. Leltel

Leltel Funster

Ours both have seat belt adapters that go into the seat belt clips and clip onto harnesses.

6. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Mine lies under the dinette table or in between the 2 front seats until we get to near a beach and he must smell the air and get excited. I really should go buy another harness, he has one somewhere but I can't find it.

7. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We have 2 dogs that travel lying down between the front seats. We tried them in a secured crate but the Labrador cried and whined for hours and it drove us mad, she wasn't too happy either!
    I'm afraid safety and sanity dont always go together.
    I agree, a 35kg dog flying around inside the van isn't a recipe for safety, but I wonder just how secure the fridge, cooker and microwave are in the event of a serious collision!
    Allan

• Like Like x 4
  8. plumbomb

plumbomb Funster

We have three miniature schnauzers, they sleep between the front seats,our Apache doesn't have any rear seats but were of to France later to day and have bought 3 harnesses to try them out.

9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Surprisingly, The Highway Code only gives advice...

Rules about animals (47 to 58)

When in a vehicle[HI] make sure [/HI]dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars.

In France and Spain it is illegal to have unsecured animals traveling in a vehicle, they must be behind a dog guard, caged or secured. Haven't checked but probably the same for the rest of the EU. (except the UK)

Common sense dictates that having a an unsecured animal in a vehicle is dangerous.. but since when was common sense ever.. common.

10. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Ours has a harness and seatbelt loop that lets him lie between the cab seats secured to the passenger seatbelt clip

11. laneside

laneside Funster

I keep reading posts in a similar vein and really do wonder if you all set out with the intention of having an accident, remembering that there is almost no such thing as an accident only driver error on some ones part.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

Two inside the van harnessed and secured to seat belt anchors in between driver and passenger seats. Two in individual cages in the garage. Common sense to ensure the safety and well being of the dogs while travelling.

13. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

[/HI]

I fully agree Alan and I'm taking measures to ensure that when someone else makes that driver error my dogs will be safe and secure... :BigGrin::Wink::RollEyes::Cool:

• Like Like x 2
  14. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

We don't harness our dog, apart from stopping her moving around I am not quite sure what good it would do in the event of an accident

Lola like a few other dogs on here is a large dog, she lies on the floor behind our seats and only ever gets up to change the side she is laid on maybe twice in a journey

A harness long enough to let her turn round is going to be long enough to let her move at least as far as our seats in the event of a serious accident

I didn't realise that dogs have to be restrained in France and Spain, we have already broken that law, I don't doubt the post, but wonder why we don't have regular posts regarding those police forces stopping and fining UK drivers

I am going to do some research today as to the best way to pin down a 50kg dog in our MH, there are no floor fixing points as far as I recall, best I can think of is a seatbelt attached harness / lead clipped to one of the rear seat belts.

My immediate worry is she will then be laid in the middle of the MH floor rather than up against our seats, and like the Labrador above, I predict some serious 'singing'

This is a serious post and I am genuinely intrigued as to what to do, maybe small dogs that wont stay still are a bigger issue than the sand bag type we have, but the law is the law

• Like Like x 1
  15. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Yes you do have to secure a dog in a vehicle within Spain, and in most countries I guess you and your passengers have to wear a seat belt.
    But reading these posts, I wonder if people wear a seat belt, because it is the law, or because they know it makes sense? If it is the later, then surely-as the animal means a lot to you- it makes sense to make them wear a harness.................doesn't it??

Just a thought!:Smile:

16. big bertha

big bertha Funster

We make the double dinette into a bed and our 3 wear harnesses clipped onto seatbelts, keep reminding OH have room for one more.:BigGrin:

17. gibbon

gibbon Read Only Funster

Harness

Our dog gets in a bit of state when we first set off and I have to admit that we let him get up and down onto my wife's lap until he settles down a bit. This is obviously unsatisfactory and we are definitely going to source a good fitting harness before we drive down to Cornwall in a couple of weeks.
    Especially as some of you have pointed out the legal issues in the EU.
    We should really have addressed this before we set off on our recent Scottish highlands & outer Hebrides adventure:Doh:
    Oh well better late than never, I just hope he does'nt squeak & whine because of the harness:BigGrin:

18. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I think your point makes great sense, those of us with dogs generally treat them as well as any other member of the family

trouble is though as I see it (before todays research) until I can get Lola to sit up on a seat and use a three point harness, a single point lead attachment will stop her running off in the event of an accident but I am not so convinced on how well she would fare when garrotted by the lead

And worse the harness length may still be long enough when added to her body length for her to still impact with us

I will update here when I have researched options for large dog restraints, remember she is laid on the floor, not sat up right behind me like a 'real' passenger

19. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

An unrestrained dog in a moving vehicle is a killer missile waiting to be fired. Our two are always secured by harness and chain behind the driver and passenger seat.
    I have seen dogs on the dashboard and cringe. There should be a law against unrestrained animals in an open vehicle.

20. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

We have a cage which we belt on the seat and trap in with the table .God forbid if there was an accident we have done all we can do to prevent injury to ourselves and the pets ,2 Yorkies and now 1 cat .Always better to be safe than sorry:thumb:

• Like Like x 1