Travelling with hot water on (1 Viewer)

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
Is this a no no or is it ok to drive with the hot water operating on gas.
Does anyone do it ?

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Never tried it, but as you have to remove vent cover i think the wind would blow the flame out or blow fumes into m/home.

Eric

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We drive with the central heating on gas to keep the hab area warm. (y)

May 28, 2016
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
since 2000
I would think very risky what would be your chances of getting out in one piece if you had a collision and had a fire

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
I would think very risky what would be your chances of getting out in one piece if you had a collision and had a fire

Later models have a 'crash' sensor which automatically closes off the gas inlet...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Depends on model .. I assume it's a Truma ?

Is it possible to operate a Truma heater even whilst driving?

Yes. With Combi and Trumatic E heaters, the heating function can be used without a problem whilst driving.

In the case of Truma S / Trumatic S heaters, however, the heating function can only be used together with a cowl top, which must be installed freely in the air flow. Truma recommends cowl top T3 or T2. Otherwise, the flame may burn back and cause damage to the heater.
Additionally, the cowl top must protrude at least 10 cm beyond any additional roof accessories (roof boxes, ski racks, luggage racks, etc.) so that the heater can function without problems.
You can find out more about safe heating whilst on the move Link Removed.

Link Removed

In winter we travel with it on, I have Gaslow R67 bottles fitted which have a safety shut off if a hose is ruptured..

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
The van-I-sold-last-October (2014 model) automatically switched off the gas as soon as the engine ignition was turned on. A good safety feature I thought.

OP
OP
Rockcrawler
Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
I have a trumatic C6002 EH and as far as I can see there is no removable cowl.
I'm sure it will be ok then
Thank you for your replies

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have a trumatic C6002 EH and as far as I can see there is no removable cowl.
I'm sure it will be ok then
Thank you for your replies
The C6002 is fan flued and can be used on the move providing you have the Secumotion regulator which has a crash sensor and either the pigtails with safety rupture valve or bottles with built in anti rupture valves. Otherwise please don't do it for your own & others safety.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The heating system is designed to be used while on the move, and if you read the full manual there is absolutely no suggestion it is not safe to have the water heater on either. ( This for the Truma systems.. canna speak for the Carver or its later incarnation )

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I take the points made, and I can only quote from the Chausson manual here:

The motorhome is further prepared for use by positioning the
gas bottles (PROPANE only) in an externally-accessed watertight
locker. Gas bottles must be turned off when vehicle is in motion.

When driving, gas cylinders must be closed.

Pictograms are placed in the appropriate location to
remind you of this.

- It is forbidden to run the refrigerator on gas when travelling. If there should be a fire following an accident this could cause an
explosion.

All appliances operating on gas must not be used unless
the vehicle is stopped. (parked vehicle).

People will obviously do as they please, but that is what it says in the manual which reassures me regarding safety, my fridge works fine off the battery, and it only takes 15-20 minutes to get as much hot water as we need once we have stopped (and turned the gas on).

Copy attached

Attachments

• MANUEL-Chausson-2014-Anglais.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Copy attached

Well given they say gas bottles should be turned off the rest seems completely redundant information !
Have never run with gas turned off, have used all appliances when moving.. But I guess having superior motorhomes built to do the job and not a Chausson must make a difference ;)

( and I am just leg pulling here.. before someone gets all shirty and defensive about this or that make of van ! )

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp

People will obviously do as they please, but that is what it says in the manual which reassures me regarding safety, my fridge works fine off the battery, and it only takes 15-20 minutes to get as much hot water as we need once we have stopped (and turned the gas on).

Copy attached

But does your Chausson have the 'crash sensor system' ?

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Joke taken in good spirit mate. Chausson use the same heaters and fridges as everyone else, so perhaps those of us with more modern vehicles are subject to more 'elf and safety warnings (just a dig)

The quotes were taken from various parts of the manual I uploaded, different references on different pages. Probably is just 'elf and safety guff, but I don't need the gas on whilst travelling, so rude to just ignore it.

Yes, it does have the collision detection system, it is just over 12 months old from new

The way I see it, if you have to turn gas off for ferries and whilst refuelling, why bother turning it on until you park up? Especially as my fridge works great on battery, the hab heater is diesel and the water heater can scald a hot thing in minutes (perhaps because they're new?)

Now I know someone is going to say they never turn off their gas on a ferry or in the channel tunnel, but I'll leave everyone else to tear them to shreds as I am being dragged off punishment shopping (forgot anniversary yesterday) :(

Last edited:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Apparently European safety regs apply for gas heating while travelling for all vehicles 2007 and later.

This is the Truma thingy, looks very Heath Robinson but obviously works & meets all regs - simple is best!!!

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
My AT Dakota will not allow anything but battery to fridge with engine running.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
@CWH

Well, that is a reassurance. I suspect the Chausson manual was just over egging the 'elf and safety issues.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Joke taken in good spirit mate. Chausson use the same heaters and fridges as everyone else, so perhaps those of us with more modern vehicles are subject to more 'elf and safety warnings (just a dig)

The quotes were taken from various parts of the manual I uploaded, different references on different pages. Probably is just 'elf and safety guff, but I don't need the gas on whilst travelling, so rude to just ignore it.

Yes, it does have the collision detection system, it is just over 12 months old from new

The way I see it, if you have to turn gas off for ferries and whilst refuelling, why bother turning it on until you park up? Especially as my fridge works great on battery, the hab heater is diesel and the water heater can scald a hot thing in minutes (perhaps because they're new?)

Now I know someone is going to say they never turn off their gas on a ferry or in the channel tunnel, but I'll leave everyone else to tear them to shreds as I am being dragged off punishment shopping (forgot anniversary yesterday) :(
Good work on forgetting the anniversary. 35 man points and only punishment shopping. Good effort.
I have to forget an anniversary and 50th birthday this month. Wish me luck
(I don't get punishment shopping by permanently wearing outrageous clothing which she wouldn't be seen with me wearing) I don't know if she has cottoned on to this but I have awarded myself 43 man points for it !

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
My AT Dakota will not allow anything but battery to fridge with engine running.

British vans tend to be like that. Some daft NCC guideline they all follow

Continental ones never are; everything works all the time.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Sometimes run with the heating/water heating on gas. Very useful in the winter to avoid the auto dump valve dropping the water. We have secumotion on the gas.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
When travelling in the Alps in winter, it is essential to have the heating and hot water on otherwise the system will freeze.
Our system is diesel fired. It gets switched on when we leave home and only gets switched off again at the end of our holiday.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Never tried it, but as you have to remove vent cover i think the wind would blow the flame out or blow fumes into m/home.

Eric

No they are balanced flue so the air is drawn in from outside through one part of the outer vent & fumes are expelled through another part.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back