Travelling with a 16inch Flat TV (1 Viewer)

Jan 6, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Exclusive
Exp
Since 2012
Hi. A very basic question but does anyone travel with their TV mounted in place on a wall mount? Or does everyone pack it away in a bag etc? Are they safe to travel in place or is it likely to cause damage? - to the Tv or the wall !
As a former caravanner, it was always put away, but motorhomes are for living on the move. Most things need to be pretty accessible.
Thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Wall mounted.

22.5" up front and 19" in the rear bedroom.

just beef up the wall its mounted on with a weigh spreader plate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
Travel with flat screen in place and locks onto mount ,fixed behind with ply back plate no probs yet:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> Travelling with a 16inch Flat TV

Only 16 inches.

Yes, without doubt the best thing would be to hide it.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Yep, as above, travel with it on its wall-mount. Stow it out of sight under a seat if away from the MH for any length of time... :thumb:

Bit belt&braces maybe but we've got a loop of shockcord fixed under the wall-bracket which pulls round the tv to supplement the bracket lock, just in case.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have ours on the wall all the time, I put a securing strap over it for travel, see below:

Attachments

• tv strap.jpg
    tv strap.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 126

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.

Only 16 inches.

37" up front and 22" in bedroom. :ROFLMAO: Both wall mounted, but then, Link RemovedWinnebagoLink Removed put the fixings in during manufacture.:thumb:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
as all above

its ok if you use a good mount, use a spreader plate on rear of pannal to fix it with bolts not screws.

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

Only 16 inches.

Mr Hilldweller!! :Nowink: 16" is perfectly adequate for most people... :winky:

Our tv is attached to a bracket arrangement in one of the cupboards - when we've finished with it, it folds up and pushes back (out of sight) inside the locker :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Oh dear, Iv'e only got 10.5 inches :Sad: :ROFLMAO:

OK I confess, we did for years. But I got carried away and bought a 19" Kogan ( I think ), which lives on it's bracket all the time.

Mind you, I welded up the bracket which is bolted to a seat belt mounting, it's going nowhere.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
My Rv is attached to my TV::bigsmile:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
To lock your bracket in the stowed position, drill an 1/8th hole vertically down though the cantilever arms and pop a nail into the hole through the arms, this will secure the bracket in the closed position, pull out the nail when you want to extend the arms:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Fixed onto bracket and shoved into a purpose built cupboard so out of sight ::bigsmile: self build rules :thumb:
Terry

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
As an alternative !
I looked into fitting a TV bracket,then on reflection decided against it didn't fancy drilling holes in my van for something I did not think was really needed.When we are parked up the TV sits on its place next to plug and aerial point in the rear lounge.when the kids want to watch a DVD on our travels I simply clamp it to the table in front of them,they prefer it like this instead of looking up and to the side where it would have to be if wall mounted.If not on the table it lives snugly in the wardrobe.
Vlad.
:thumb::thumb::thumb:Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As an alternative !
I looked into fitting a TV bracket,then on reflection decided against it didn't fancy drilling holes in my van for something I did not think was really needed.When we are parked up the TV sits on its place next to plug and aerial point in the rear lounge.when the kids want to watch a DVD on our travels I simply clamp it to the table in front of them,they prefer it like this instead of looking up and to the side where it would have to be if wall mounted.If not on the table it lives snugly in the wardrobe.
Vlad.
:thumb::thumb::thumb:Broken Link Removed

Vlad, with the greatest of respect, I would ask you to think again about how you secure your TV for your kiddies to watch whilst travelling. If you had to break sharply I can quite easily see the TV screen flying backwards as your kiddies fly forwards and the 2 meet - maybe only a slight chance of this, but one which I certainly would not wish to take. Perhaps a more secure mounting would be better, ideally on the rear facing dinette seat back itself or even clamped to the rear of the driver's seat?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
To lock your bracket in the stowed position, drill an 1/8th hole vertically down though the cantilever arms and pop a nail into the hole through the arms, this will secure the bracket in the closed position, pull out the nail when you want to extend the arms:thumb:

Whilst I agree this is a very good method, it would still allow the monitor itself to wiggle a bit, I'd prefer to secure the whole thing with a strap as I know it won't damage the rear of the TV through movement where its secured to the bracket. Perhaps doing both would be best?

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
coldstreamer

Hi,
Ours has had more homes than a Church Mouse, until a few years ago her indoors, suggest we mount it beneath the TV Cupboard on a Flip Up flat Swivel Brkt, whch locks in, sky box and videos in the cupboard, ! Jobs a Buck!
So I now claim it was my idea and I get a wry smile...She loves me really
Keeps the Peace...Best Regards Mac

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Just to buck the trend...our £80 Asda 19" TV/DVD playerl lives behind the passenger seat, with its original plastic packaging on each end of it. When we land, it's removed, plugged into 12v and ariel points next to a folding work surface, and sits there happily until lift-off. The folding wok surface was the best location, and we couldn't;t think of a way to permanent mount it there. No big deal to set it up, but still makes it a bit of an 'event' to have the TV on, so's we have to decide whether to watch telly or talk!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We leave ours on its wall bracket.

when leaving the van my wife covers it in a cosy blanket to keep it warm:RollEyes:

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Hi,
Ours has had more homes than a Church Mouse, until a few years ago her indoors, suggest we mount it beneath the TV Cupboard on a Flip Up flat Swivel Brkt, whch locks in, sky box and videos in the cupboard, ! Jobs a Buck!
So I now claim it was my idea and I get a wry smile...She loves me really
Keeps the Peace...Best Regards Mac

The TV cupboards are too high for comfortable watching IMHO so our TV travels in the cupboard (surrounded by cushions) and then is sited on a board next to the table when stopped.

This seems like a great idea, Mac - where did you get the bracket from? Our TV cupboard is above one of the travelling seats - how far down does it come when folded up (would there still be enough headroom)?

Phil

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Vlad, with the greatest of respect, I would ask you to think again about how you secure your TV for your kiddies to watch whilst travelling. If you had to break sharply I can quite easily see the TV screen flying backwards as your kiddies fly forwards and the 2 meet - maybe only a slight chance of this, but one which I certainly would not wish to take. Perhaps a more secure mounting would be better, ideally on the rear facing dinette seat back itself or even clamped to the rear of the driver's seat?

I would have thought the forces encountered during heavy breaking would be the same on the TV as the kids therefore they would be moving the same way!
The G clamps holding the TV to the table are very secure and the fact that the table is,apart from a small plastic clip holding it to the wall,freestanding I would imagine the table would at more risk of breaking free.
Now if we look at a head on collision I'd say myself and mrs Vlad would be more at risk of the table And TV coming forward and decapitating us,whilst my 3point seat belted angles have to watch!!!
Now that would be unsuitable viewing.
Vlad.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The TV cupboards are too high for comfortable watching IMHO so our TV travels in the cupboard (surrounded by cushions) and then is sited on a board next to the table when stopped.

This seems like a great idea, Mac - where did you get the bracket from? Our TV cupboard is above one of the travelling seats - how far down does it come when folded up (would there still be enough headroom)?

Phil

We used to have one of these in a previous motorhome:

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 9
Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
coldstreamer

Hi Phi111,
In old 'money' the bracket folded, about inch and a half, plus flat screen tele another two and a half, total less than four inch, I will measure it in the morning.
We bought the Bracket at one of the shows, I'm sure you could find one online, Its called a under shelf Tv Bracket. We have 3 or 4 friends have bought the same after seeng ours, I used fine bolts and plate washers to fix it with, just to sprend the weight a little. Good hunting.
Best Regards Mac

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back