LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I am about to go Lyon in June and I was wondering of there were any experienced Funsters out there who coul suggest a nice SIMPLE route to Lyon from Calais, with some FREE aires if poss.

Your opinions will be valued...

Dave

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I went to Lyon once via two full revolutions of the Paris Périphérique, don't go that way::bigsmile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We stayed at Lyon a few years back on route to the South of France.

I will aslk the boss tonight what route we took as i forget these things..

We stayed at sites though including a municipal at Lyon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am about to go Lyon in June and I was wondering of there were any experienced Funsters out there who coul suggest a nice SIMPLE route to Lyon from Calais, with some FREE aires if poss.

Dave

Feel the force, ObiZero.

Use Google Maps.

If you are a tight git turn off toll roads. Turn on miles or else you'll get confused.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Errrrr... Calais Toulouse .... and then Toulouse Lyon:Blush::Blush::Blush:I know , not the easiest way , nor the quickest... but at least you would have a free aire .....HERE ::bigsmile:::bigsmile: Otherwise ...when will I get the chance to see you both again... hey??:RollEyes:

Affectueusement

Frankie:Cool::Cool:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We stayed at Lyon a few years back on route to the South of France.

I will aslk the boss tonight what route we took as i forget these things..

We stayed at sites though including a municipal at Lyon.

Just spoken to my wife.

We avoided Paris by taking the A26 to Chalons en Champagne , then down to Dijon and Macon before arriving at Lyon.

I would drive a long way to avoid Paris::bigsmile:

I can find out the stops if you like but we were travelling in a group with young children so our requirements might be different to yours.:thumb:

Ladylea

Free Member
Mar 13, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
We travel that way every year not as far as Lyon as we meet up with friends near Macon.
We have travelled different ways.
1. We leave the tunnel A16, A26 to junction 15 Reims 30 euros and 5.40euros on new ring road around Reims.From there the D944 onto N44 to chalons Champagne then on to N4 to St Dizier to aire at Fronicles by canal 1.50eper night 1.50e electricity 1.50e waterTotal mileage 274miles.
take N67 to Chaumont. There are a few aires on this route at joinville,Donjeux and Chaumont. head for Dijon on the D974 and N6 Macon and Lyon. We stop on acsi site before Macon at Pont de Vaux 14e night that is 436 miles
2 we have travelled via Troyes as above but at Chalons champagne take the D977/D677 to Troyes then D671/D971 to Dijon to pont de vaux 434 miles
3. also travelled via Auxerre but a lot longer,
4. This year we had plenty of time and travelled back to tunnel via st Dizier Bar le duc Verdun Charleville Cambrai Arras to Boulogne this added 50miles but no tolls

Hope this helps

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years

Dave

Toll or no toll, scenic with stops or in a hurry? GPS or map book?

Dependant on your wants there are 2 at least if not 3 routes to take. If you are very flush then the A26 is simple, but one of the most expensive tolls in France, it's also a pretty boring autoroute, in our opinion anyway.

We travel autoroutes all the time, but try hard to avoid that one if possible. If you are really pushed for time then it's your most simple/fast option.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back