Travelling to Europe

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by NickA, Jan 30, 2016.

1. NickA

NickA Funster

I have noticed in a number of threads the requirement to take certain documents when you travel to Europe.
    V5C - I have the original of this
    Certificate of Insurance - my insurers no longer sends a hard copy, I can access it on the web site, download and print - is a home printed copy acceptable.
    MOT - my garage has taken to emailing a copy - ditto question above

Finally, does anyone know, or, know where I could check, if electronic copies are acceptable (on my iPad)?

2. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

My understanding is that the insurance document has to be the original, by all means photocopy everything for reference but keep the original with you and in a safe place.

Martin

3. Big Nick

Big Nick Funster

I just take electronic copies of my documents which I've emailed to myself, you have your passport with you for them to be checked against so I can't see the need for anything more?

4. Fenman

Fenman Funster

Like others our insurances are all done online these days so printed copies are all we take.
    Just as a handy identity card as I hate carrying my passport everywhere, I have scanned our passports then reduced the image and printed it in colour and finally laminated it. That is, of course, the page with the photo that makes me look like an ardent criminal.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. mustaphapint

mustaphapint Funster

If printed on a reasonable quality printer no-one can tell whether you printed it or the insurance company. I print our insurance certificate from the insurer's email or web page and I also have copies and scans of V5 and MOT just in case the originals are lost. I've never been asked for anything other than a couple of spot checks for insurance in 20 years of travelling through Europe in cars, motorcycles and now a motorhome.

6. parknride

parknride Funster

We take all originals as above +EHIC card and have paper copies of all of them plus copies stored on cloud. Our passport copy has been accepted several times. Saves digging the originals out of the hidey hole.

7. SandT

SandT Funster

We don't get clouds in Malta!
    2016-01-29 14.52.07.jpg

So I just take photocopies.

Terry

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. Fenman

Fenman Funster

Looks like you don't get grass either.:)

9. Rapido925M

Rapido925M Funster

We each have an A5 sheet with reduced copies of our passport, EHIC, list of medications, contact numbers (inc doctor) which we carry with us. On the back we have the registration number and we write the location of the motorhome next to the date.

I worry that it might be a god-send to thieves but it does provide an assurance that quick and appropriate action might be taken if something goes wrong.

CLEARLY, this is not a requirement for travelling abroad :LOL: - Gordon

10. parknride

parknride Funster

Not many here today ;)
    IMG_20160130_144714.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  11. Irishrover

Irishrover Read Only Funster

@ parknride......What a great pic!

• Like Like x 1
  12. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Print out for me also. OP, you mention your MOT getting e mailed to you. All teh garage does now is stick a sheet of A4 in the printer and and print that off. If your lucky he may sign it Lol so your printed e mail is no different. Oh and i have been traveling into mainland Europe for about 25 years and yet to be asked for documents apart from passports and printed off ferry bookings. Dont stress just get over and enjoy. The police over there and not different from here, act like a diddy you get treated like a diddy.

13. parknride

parknride Funster

Thanks Just taken it on my tablet, then Dolly the cat went and rolled over in her "safe" igloo and fell on the floor (she was perched on one of those clothes airers) and bolted into the van under a chair with me on the other end of her lead. Hope nobody had a video on us !!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. travelbunyip

travelbunyip Funster

We always have the original green card with us. At a border crossing going into Montenegro the car in front was a hire car which only had photocopies. The border Guard showed them our green card saying that only originals were acceptable. Their option was to buy insurance costing 50 euros or turn back and drive through Serbia. The hirecompany was at fault as they would have known the countries the car was driving through. If at all possible have the originals with you.

15. ****

**** Read Only Funster

The problem mate is a lot of insurance company's have stopped issuing them. Im sure mainland Europe we would be fine but heading further east i would be looking into it more. I dare say some day soon the police could do a in car check and tell if foreign visitors have all the insurance, licence needed.

16. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Lack of green is one reason i dont do Spain. I dare say it does have areas but i feel it look barren for me.

17. NickA

NickA Funster

Thanks to all who replied - home printed copies it is then (along with a copy on my iPad!)
    Thanks again