Travelling through Austria in early March - Winter Tyres (1 Viewer)

Alan Young

Free Member
Feb 9, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
We are thinking of travelling through Austria in early March (4 weeks time) but are concerned about the issue of having to have winter tyres. The MH will be brand new and won't have winter tyres fitted. Has anyone been stopped by the police etc regarding this issue.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Just found this on the AA website
"All vehicles driving on snow covered roads must have winter tyres (or all-season tyres marked M+S*/mud and snow) during the winter season (from 1 November to 15 April) and if roads have a covering of snow, slush or ice outside these dates. Tyres must have a minimum tread depth of 4mm.

Theoretically snow chains on summer tyres can be used as an alternative to winter tyres where the entire road is heavily covered with snow and no damage to the road is caused by the snow chains. In practice though, because road conditions and the weather cannot be predicted, use of winter tyres is effectively compulsory."

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/snow-chains-winter-tyres.html

OP
OP
A

Alan Young

Free Member
Feb 9, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank Robert for your swift reply. We had already seen this before, however as we will be keeping to the main autobahn (Brenner to Innsbruck) we wondered if we would be stopped by the police enroute. We will have snow chains but are unlikely to need them. I wondered if any one else had passed through Austria in March without winter tyres fitted and if so how did they get on

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
From what I'm reading online winter tyres are MANDATORY in Austria until 15th April
So effectively you will be breaking the law
Other people may have got away without being stopped/caught, but I guess its how you perceive the risk yourself that count's

Would you drive a vehicle without insurance?
Would you drive without road tax?

Same thing really

Best of luck!

Robert

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
What tyres have you got, if they are camper tyres they may well be M+S which are not as good as full winter or four seasons but I believe they will be legal, somebody else may say I'm wrong.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back