Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
I received the following info from one of our winter travel pals. We were aware of the three month rule so it was not a shock to us. We are away for up to 180 days in the winter, our GP is aware of this but turns a blind eye.

We do get three months supply of our permanent medication before we leave and the other months we buy abroad.

Regards

Don

"Dear fellow travellers - a chum of ours who asked his GP for extra prescriptions to cover his winter in Spain was told he would not be held on their register if he travelled abroad for more than 3 months ... as I could find nothing on the DH website i sent them an enquiry - this is their response. Rather a shock - discretion seems to be the better part of valour ...
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 17:17:00 +0000

DE00000257974

Thank you for your email of 28 November to the Department of Health about travelling abroad.
NHS eligibility is solely based on residency in the UK. If you go on holiday for more than three months, you will not be considered resident in the UK during that period and so would be expected to de-register with your General Practitioner (GP).
If you are going abroad for a one-off extended holiday for a few months, then you will continue to be fully eligible for NHS services when you return to resume your permanent residence in the UK, and would need to re-register with a GP surgery. Please speak with your practice manager for details of when you need to de-register, and re-register.
I hope this information has been of help.
Yours sincerely,

Thomas McLaughlin
Department of Health"

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
My new useless GP will not issue more than a month at a time:RollEyes:

Boy am I sick of her:Doh:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Very Useful information!

If your sick...see your GP

We are going to France and all points south in January for a few months and this information is very helpful, we are going to book in at the Doctors and renew our prescriptions now so we have plenty in stock.

Thanks Don.

Ginny and Michael

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back