Travellers?

Discussion in 'Full Timers' started by Boo, May 6, 2009.

1. Boo

Boo Read Only Funster

Cornwall Council anounced today that they are opening 11 new sites for travellers.

Would you or have you ever stayed at one?.............after all we ARE travellers.

I visited one a few months ago to check for radon and my oh my, toilet blocks were smashed, baths taken out and rubbish everywhere................don't think I would risk it :Eeek:

Boo

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

sounds par for the course Boo....bet the roads are well tarmaced though..:Rofl1:

3. Boo

Boo Read Only Funster

Or not if they have done it :Wink:...................Proper job sir :thumb:

Boo

4. zaskar

zaskar Funster

You might want to call yourself that but please dont give me that label.:Angry:
    ..........and i would respectfully sugest that you dont call yourself that within the earshot of the authorities or I guarantee you'll be given short shift!

5. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

I got to ask, why was you checking for Radon in a Itinerant site?

6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I wonder if they would mind me bringing along my shopping trolley and bicycle frame collection. :Smile: As its a council involved I am sure there will be a safe place for me to light a fire so that I can burn the plastic from the pick-up loads of wire I will have delivered.

Sounds great, can you find out about the costs involved, exactly how much will they pay me while I stay there:RollEyes:

7. ruffingitsmoothly

ruffingitsmoothly Read Only Funster

8. zaskar

zaskar Funster

I pretty sure that Boo didn't mean to cause offence with his choice of words:thumb:, all I would say is just please be aware that Fulltimers are very sensistive to the use of this word, it gives the wrong impression about people who are pasionate about the countryside, care a great deal about it, simply want to lead life a different, more peacefull way...........AND MOST IMPORTANTLY are quite happy to abide by societies rules and are quite happy to pay our dues to society.:thumb:

9. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:thumb: My views exactly. When we were parked outside our house in the UK, the COUNCIL wanted us to move onto one of THOSE sites. No way Jose. :Blush::Eeek:

10. BuzzLand

BuzzLand Deleted User

I was hoping to see some positive things from folks on here about gypsies in general and maybe hear a tale or two about a safe encampment where they aren't like that and welcome in fellow 'travellers' alas it seems not.

I know they have a bad rep. but are their two sides to this?

I'll give you my thoughts and stories:

When I suggested to my friend about using a Romany/traveller encampment for when I got part/full time he saged that it would be foolhardy to do so.

The problem is that to be Romany you have to be born into their tribe or be on very good terms with them to be 'accepted'. Otherwise you are an outsider aka a 'joss-skin', a person who is a town/city dweller.
    So a person who suddenly rolls into their area could be obliged to 'share' out your stuff with the rest of them. Their fortes include:
    Brawling, scrap metal dealing, trading, demolitions/construction industry (this is where I met 2 Romany folk, one good one bad) and petty crime (although to them this probably isn't criminal its survival).
    Some say craftwork and blacksmithing is or was a forte but whether they do this now is questionable.

Of course I've heard all the negative stories, but perhaps if any are out there they'd like to give their thoughts on this interesting matter.

11. Elvis

Elvis Read Only Funster

Nah!

No! You will be given free health, dental care, a house (if you want it) dole money, free education for your kids and plenty of free legal aid (which, if you live thet life style, you will need!), and you will never have to work and pay tax for as long as you live :Rofl1:

12. Elvis

Elvis Read Only Funster

what really gets me!

What really winds me up though ... is where are the 11 sites for us law abiding, tax paying MH owners then !!!:Angry:

13. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

wow take that tongue OUT of your cheek planet earth to buzzland

14. BuzzLand

BuzzLand Deleted User

[​IMG]

15. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

I think cornwall is doing us a favour,it keeps more Itinerants down there and away from the rest of the country-don't car much for pasties!!

16. bazfergy

bazfergy Read Only Funster

or block paved:Rofl1:

17. Boo

Boo Read Only Funster

Well, I thought I would let this thread run for a few weeks to see your points and answer the points you have raised.

1. I got to ask, why was you checking for Radon in a Itinerant site?
    A. Because cornwall is built on granit which emits radiation gas..........and we have a duty (the council) to monitor and apply mitigations where there is a risk to our fellow humans.

2. You don't like cornish pasties?
    A. Cornwall prides itself on the the scenery, old ways of life, beaches and the fact that more people visit here than anywhere else in the country.
    The pasty was created in wales and have spread all over the world (ie. somosa ect) and the traditional cornish pasty can be found as far as hongkong and cyprus, the national cornish pasty making competition was won this year by a devon company :Wink:
    And as far as lots of Itinerant's being here...........the most Itinerant, romany or traveller place in the country IS Morecambe :p

3. You might want to call yourself that but please dont give me that label.
    A. So as a full time traveller who has no perminent address............ what would you call yourself? posh traveller? posh Itinerant?
    Which ever way you look at it your one of them and are entitled to everything they are.............and you prob have "dags" too :Rofl1:

4.I pretty sure that Boo didn't mean to cause offence with his choice of words:thumb:, all I would say is just please be aware that Fulltimers are very sensistive to the use of this word.
    A. I call a spade a spade dudes, like it or lump it as I'm not on here to sugarcoat anything for anyone. if you was offended by anything I have said past, present or future then you really need to get out of your Itinerant vans more hehe!
    I've lived too long and seen too many things in my life to be offended or even give a flying f*** what anyone says or thinks about me or anything else in the world..........they are entitled to THEIR own opinions and will not effect my life 1 bit.:BigGrin:

My friends find it funny to call me a Itinerant and to be honest I find it funny too.........tarmac you driveway sir? :thumb:

Boo

18. theresa

theresa Read Only Funster

haveing been born down here in cornwall i can tell you now we dont want any more sites here . must say thou i do no a true gypsy family and they own the land they live on which is kept clean and very tidy also the van they live in is spotless. they have planing permission to live where they are . they helped me when my horse got hurt and now i have a freind for life . they also work for a living and not live on the dole . So please dont tar people with the same tar brush as the saying gos . there are good and bad in all walks of life . The people of cornwall are not all living in the past and walking around with a bit of straw in their mouth :Blush:

19. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFCTv3ZWuCQ[/ame]
    I'm a freeborn man of the travelling people, have no fixed abode with nomads I have wandered................ (song)
    I don't care if you call me a traveller, what is derogative about that, I have horses, and dogs does that make me a Itinerant, a Itinerant, a Romany, new age traveller, old age traveller, whatever. Choosing another name "fulltime" does not stop you being an itinerant, of no fixed abode, a nomad. so get used to it. If you are offended then maybe you should move back into a house. In my years on the road I have met some fantastic travelling people, showmen and their families, tinkers gypsies, pikies, once they know where you are coming from you will not find a truer friend. Yes they are not so easy to get to know and yes some are untidy to say the least but they are not all like that. There are good and bad as in any society. By denigrating them you cause bad feeling amongst all of them the good, the bad, the Romany and the full-timers. So please keep you racist/separative comments to yourself and do not post them on a forum that is frequented by many of those very people.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  20. vindiboy

vindiboy Funster

I expect you would wan't RONNIE BIGGS freed too ?????:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: