"Traveller 2500H" Generator problem

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Swifty_Morgan, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Swifty_Morgan

Swifty_Morgan Read Only Funster

To cut a long story short, my internal Battery charger went 'Pfft' and I had no end of fun sorting out the 12v electrics (at a time when I was not very well).
    I bought and fitted a new charger (e-bay) and it also went 'Pfft'.
    I sent it back under the warranty (bless 'em) and discovered that the AC input voltage was over 270v (at which point the charger goes 'Pfft').
    So I made a filter.

I've had the whole 'van and genny serviced this year and I measured the generator output voltage: 276v. This is not good. :cry:

What's worse is the '12v dc' output is actually 25v !.

Has anyone got any real info on the Electrolux (Dometic) "Traveller 2500H" petrol-driven generator please ?
    What is it that regulates the output ?
    And where can I get spares ?
    Many thanks
    Dave

:help:

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi

have you spoken to the company that 'serviced' it, was it ok prior or is that an unknown. ?

from what you say it looks like the voltage regulator (no surprise there) has gone awol.

Speak to Dometic and ask where your nearest service agent is, then call and ask for advice.. If it is the regulator it will be fairly expensive.. sorry can't help more..

4. Swifty_Morgan

The firm that did the MH service conceded that they were a touch limited with these generators. I don't have a problem with that.

I spoke to the firm who I believe is my nearest service agent. Whilst polite and generally helpful, I got the impression that there was some information missing. (But I guess makers of these gadgets don't document Everything, do they.)
    Regulators come in assorted types & sizes. I've had some useful griff from Phil J., (for which many thanks, BTW). I'll study this and see whats to do.
    But it looks like a pricey repair, win loose or draw !.

Hey Ho. . . .

5. aba

aba

sounds like it may be over revving slightly as its normally the speed of the engine that controls the output voltage unless its got an inverter like the small suitcase hondas etc.

6. Swifty_Morgan

At present I have no means of checking speed (I suspect it should be 3000 rpm). But the drawing I have been sent should help when I get to study the problem further (I'm having trouble with the idea of a capacitor to control output voltage).

• Like Like x 1
  7. aba

aba

hi i wouldn't think that a capacitor would control the output voltage it would just catch the spikes and smooth the output.
    the info i got from the dometic site states 230volts +/- 10% so anywhere between 207 and 253 volts would be a normal output voltage.
    the other thing of concern would be if the frequency of the output has altered from 50hz but without access to an oscilloscope you would never know.

8. Swifty_Morgan

The windings transformer has a capacitor on one of the three windings, which leads me to suspect that the unit features elements of a "Constant Voltage" system (Advance used to make them, amongst others).

9. milltech

milltech Read Only Funster

Hi

Very late in the day on this thread! I have a Traveller Genny and my local garage say the butterfly on the carb is jammed open and they don't know where to access a new one. Have sent a pm to Swifty but any additional information would be most gratefully received.

10. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Any Honda genny spares outlet. I am advised that the engine is a GX160

My butterfly valve was gummed up until I recently used carb cleaner on both my Traveller genny carburetor, and that of a fellow MH owner. Both our gennies start first time now.

HTH,

Jock.