"Traveller 2500H" Generator problem (1 Viewer)

Swifty_Morgan

Free Member
Mar 11, 2012
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Eh?
Exp
several years
To cut a long story short, my internal Battery charger went 'Pfft' and I had no end of fun sorting out the 12v electrics (at a time when I was not very well).
I bought and fitted a new charger (e-bay) and it also went 'Pfft'.
I sent it back under the warranty (bless 'em) and discovered that the AC input voltage was over 270v (at which point the charger goes 'Pfft').
So I made a filter.

I've had the whole 'van and genny serviced this year and I measured the generator output voltage: 276v. This is not good. :cry:

What's worse is the '12v dc' output is actually 25v !.

Has anyone got any real info on the Electrolux (Dometic) "Traveller 2500H" petrol-driven generator please ?
What is it that regulates the output ?
And where can I get spares ?
Many thanks
Dave

:help:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
To cut a long story short, my internal Battery charger went 'Pfft' and I had no end of fun sorting out the 12v electrics (at a time when I was not very well).
I bought and fitted a new charger (e-bay) and it also went 'Pfft'.
I sent it back under the warranty (bless 'em) and discovered that the AC input voltage was over 270v (at which point the charger goes 'Pfft').
So I made a filter.

[HI]I've had the whole 'van and genny serviced this year [/HI]and I measured the generator output voltage: 276v. This is not good. :cry:

What's worse is the '12v dc' output is actually 25v !.

Has anyone got any real info on the Electrolux (Dometic) "Traveller 2500H" petrol-driven generator please ?
What is it that regulates the output ?
And where can I get spares ?
Many thanks
Dave

:help:

Hi

have you spoken to the company that 'serviced' it, was it ok prior or is that an unknown. ?

from what you say it looks like the voltage regulator (no surprise there) has gone awol.

Speak to Dometic and ask where your nearest service agent is, then call and ask for advice.. If it is the regulator it will be fairly expensive.. sorry can't help more..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

Swifty_Morgan

Free Member
Mar 11, 2012
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Eh?
Exp
several years
Hi

have you spoken to the company that 'serviced' it, was it ok prior or is that an unknown. ?

from what you say it looks like the voltage regulator (no surprise there) has gone awol.

Speak to Dometic and ask where your nearest service agent is, then call and ask for advice.. If it is the regulator it will be fairly expensive.. sorry can't help more..

The firm that did the MH service conceded that they were a touch limited with these generators. I don't have a problem with that.

I spoke to the firm who I believe is my nearest service agent. Whilst polite and generally helpful, I got the impression that there was some information missing. (But I guess makers of these gadgets don't document Everything, do they.)
Regulators come in assorted types & sizes. I've had some useful griff from Phil J., (for which many thanks, BTW). I'll study this and see whats to do.
But it looks like a pricey repair, win loose or draw !.

Hey Ho. . . .

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
sounds like it may be over revving slightly as its normally the speed of the engine that controls the output voltage unless its got an inverter like the small suitcase hondas etc.

OP
OP
S

Swifty_Morgan

Free Member
Mar 11, 2012
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Eh?
Exp
several years
sounds like it may be over revving slightly as its normally the speed of the engine that controls the output voltage unless its got an inverter like the small suitcase hondas etc.

At present I have no means of checking speed (I suspect it should be 3000 rpm). But the drawing I have been sent should help when I get to study the problem further (I'm having trouble with the idea of a capacitor to control output voltage).

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi i wouldn't think that a capacitor would control the output voltage it would just catch the spikes and smooth the output.
the info i got from the dometic site states 230volts +/- 10% so anywhere between 207 and 253 volts would be a normal output voltage.
the other thing of concern would be if the frequency of the output has altered from 50hz but without access to an oscilloscope you would never know.

OP
OP
S

Swifty_Morgan

Free Member
Mar 11, 2012
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Eh?
Exp
several years
hi i wouldn't think that a capacitor would control the output voltage it would just catch the spikes and smooth the output.
the info i got from the dometic site states 230volts +/- 10% so anywhere between 207 and 253 volts would be a normal output voltage.
the other thing of concern would be if the frequency of the output has altered from 50hz but without access to an oscilloscope you would never know.

The windings transformer has a capacitor on one of the three windings, which leads me to suspect that the unit features elements of a "Constant Voltage" system (Advance used to make them, amongst others).

milltech

Free Member
Aug 13, 2013
Great Malvern
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi

Very late in the day on this thread! I have a Traveller Genny and my local garage say the butterfly on the carb is jammed open and they don't know where to access a new one. Have sent a pm to Swifty but any additional information would be most gratefully received.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi

Very late in the day on this thread! I have a Traveller Genny and my local garage say the butterfly on the carb is jammed open and they don't know where to access a new one. Have sent a pm to Swifty but any additional information would be most gratefully received.
Any Honda genny spares outlet. I am advised that the engine is a GX160

My butterfly valve was gummed up until I recently used carb cleaner on both my Traveller genny carburetor, and that of a fellow MH owner. Both our gennies start first time now.

HTH,

Jock.

kawasaki

Free Member
Aug 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
iveco
hi , I have a T2500HG generater under my van , ex Salvation Army soup kitchen. But the lpg got disconnected from the generater and I have know idea where it connects on the landi Renzo vapouriser, it's a 2002 model,can't seem to get any info,can any one help.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
hi , I have a T2500HG generater under my van , ex Salvation Army soup kitchen. But the lpg got disconnected from the generater and I have know idea where it connects on the landi Renzo vapouriser, it's a 2002 model,can't seem to get any info,can any one help.
Sorry, I'm unable to help as ours wasn't converted to gas.

Since my post above back.in August 2013, I have replaced the carburettor and fuel lines, which the current owner now has the benefit of.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I think I might have a similar model also lpg converted, Mine has Beam 52 that I think is a volumiser not a vaporiser. Its fairly obvious where it connects. Mine is a bit of a work in progress also, its running again and we have 12 volts but Ive had to have a new rotor ( easy) but also had to have the starter motor refurbished - basically remanufactured the middle bit and brush carrier at £400.

Steve53D

Free Member
Oct 27, 2021
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just starting
I have recently purchased a mirage 5000 2001 with a dometic generator fuelled by LPG but unable to start.
Engine turns but dont fire.
Any ideas please ??

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
jongood may be able to help, having recently acquired a lpg genny himself, with problems starting it.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Steve53D

Free Member
Oct 27, 2021
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just starting
I'm not sure if gas is going to it because I'm unable to open the casing at the moment which dont help.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
It is common for the capacitor/condenser to fail. They can be replaced for £60 from Dometic or the same spec from Amazon for around £9. The LPG solenoid is supplied from the 12Volt starter battery on initial start up when the green button is held in. Once the machine has started the 12 volts from the generator supplies the solenoid to hold it open and keep it supplied. The white button acts as a choke and opens the vapo riser further, you should hear it click as you press the white choke button. Secret with these units is not to flood them on start up. Press the green to start it then press the choke for a blip 2 or 3 times and it should start. If the capacitor has failed it should start when green button is pressed but shall shutdown as soon as you remove your finger from the green button as the fuel solenoid closes due to no voltage to hold it open.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I have recently purchased a mirage 5000 2001 with a dometic generator fuelled by LPG but unable to start.
Engine turns but dont fire.
Any ideas please ??
As a quick check, try spraying some easy start or carburetor cleaner into the intake, after removing the filter, this will tell you if it's a fuel or spark issue ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back