Free Member
Jun 6, 2015
Shipton Bellinger
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hi Everybody

I hope someone can give me some advice. I have recently obtained a Adria Twin 600SP Van Conversion and my wife and I are planning to travel around France in the near future. Can you use the gas to power the fridge whilst driving and parked up whilst we look around town (s) or can you use the battery to run the fridge as it would as on gas e.g.

Tim

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
You will not be able to run your fridge from you battery alone, it will become flat very quickly. No problem running a fridge on gas providing you have enough and your system is designed to do this and certified as being safe to do so. Many modern motorhomes also run their fridge from the alternator when driving by selecting A.E.S on the fridge (Automatic Energy Selector).
Safe journeys.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Depending on the type of fridge it will probably have a 12v option. This is designed to be powered by the alternator only when the engine is running. You choose gas or mains based on your preference or availability when you stop for the night.

More modern versions have an auto setting that takes care of all that for you. I'm assuming you have a 3 way fridge as you mention gas but compressor fridges run on 12v all the time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

piketopike

Free Member
Jun 6, 2015
Shipton Bellinger
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Thank you all for your swift replies. My fridge is a Thetford N3097. It has an automatic setting which I now have a better understanding of how it works. I will place it on Automatic and let it decide for itself.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Keep an eye on it, if using auto. They work fine 99% of the time but ours used to get confused about once a year and we'd lose the contents of the freezer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Keep an eye on it, if using auto. They work fine 99% of the time but ours used to get confused about once a year and we'd lose the contents of the freezer.
That happened a lot to us when we had a Thetford fridge. No reason. Just defrosted every few months. Wouldn't work unless you were within 3% level. We have a dometic now and will work on any level.

Reactions: BwB

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back