Traveling With The Fridge On

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by piketopike, Jun 24, 2015.

1. piketopike

piketopike

Hi Everybody

I hope someone can give me some advice. I have recently obtained a Adria Twin 600SP Van Conversion and my wife and I are planning to travel around France in the near future. Can you use the gas to power the fridge whilst driving and parked up whilst we look around town (s) or can you use the battery to run the fridge as it would as on gas e.g.

Tim

2. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

You will not be able to run your fridge from you battery alone, it will become flat very quickly. No problem running a fridge on gas providing you have enough and your system is designed to do this and certified as being safe to do so. Many modern motorhomes also run their fridge from the alternator when driving by selecting A.E.S on the fridge (Automatic Energy Selector).
    Safe journeys.

3. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Depending on the type of fridge it will probably have a 12v option. This is designed to be powered by the alternator only when the engine is running. You choose gas or mains based on your preference or availability when you stop for the night.

More modern versions have an auto setting that takes care of all that for you. I'm assuming you have a 3 way fridge as you mention gas but compressor fridges run on 12v all the time.

4. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

5. piketopike

piketopike

Thank you all for your swift replies. My fridge is a Thetford N3097. It has an automatic setting which I now have a better understanding of how it works. I will place it on Automatic and let it decide for itself.

6. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

Keep an eye on it, if using auto. They work fine 99% of the time but ours used to get confused about once a year and we'd lose the contents of the freezer.

7. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

That happened a lot to us when we had a Thetford fridge. No reason. Just defrosted every few months. Wouldn't work unless you were within 3% level. We have a dometic now and will work on any level.

• Like Like x 1