Free Member
Nov 11, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie November 2014
We have 2 dogs (black lab and a staffie). What is the best way to travel with them securely. We only have 2 side sofas with rear kitchen/toilet. Very new to MHing any help?????

Thanks
Steve

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Our lab sits, or rather sleeps between the two front seats, occasionally retiring to sleep under the dinette table. I know it isn't secure, but to be honest, in a MH you aren't going to break any land speed records!

Upvote 0

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Ours is a bit skittish so we place her in one of those canvas collapsible travel crates and place it in the kitchen area. There is a cupboard which would prevent the crate from moving in the event of anything untoward happening. She lays down but her head is up throughout the journey. She seems to be reassured going into the confines of the crate.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We have a labrador and a small labradoodle. Both travel in their beds, each wearing a harness, secured to seat belts. They have enough slack to allow them to reach the water bowl, but not enough to get under the drivers feet! We find it really useful when we arrive at a destination too, as they can't shoot out as soon as we open the door (y)

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Our staffy cross used to sit on the rear passenger seat in his safety harness attached to the seat belt but he used to get quite stressed. Our Hobby has a table pillar bolted to the floor so his safety harness is now attached to that and he sits in his bed on the floor no stress at all.

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
IMG-20140917-WA0001.jpg

I know... I know...

Upvote 0

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
the dogs will find their own place to rest just leave em and they will settle

Upvote 0

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
We were stopped by police in Spain last year for not having our dog harnessed the fine is 150 euros just a warning . We were actually pulled over because my wife left her seat to get something from the fridge in the back and she was spotted returning so not wearing a seatbelt 150 euros again a warning ,we were lucky

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We were stopped by police in Spain last year for not having our dog harnessed the fine is 150 euros just a warning . We were actually pulled over because my wife left her seat to get something from the fridge in the back and she was spotted returning so not wearing a seatbelt 150 euros again a warning ,we were lucky
Yes in most of mainland Europe it is an offence to have unrestrained dogs in the vehicle, a good point. Shows the importance of checking road rules for where you are travelling to.
As for the fridge incident, well we've all done it :whistle: just bad luck to get spotted!

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I know of someone who was killed because their terrier got under the feet of the driver in the MH. With a dog the size of a labrador this is probably unlikely but a harness would be a very good idea. You wouldn't want the dog hitting you in the back of the neck in the event of a collision.

For small dogs a collapsible cage works well. The Endless Breeze fan is an essential extra for hot weather!
IMG_20140926560.jpg

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
When we were on an aire in France earlier this year we parked across from a MH with paw prints all over it (plastic stick on ones) and pictures of five dogs on the back. That's nice we thought. Having pictures of all his previous dogs on his MH. Later we saw the owner taking his dog for a walk and returning. Then taking another.....and another..... He had five labrador sized dogs in his van which was not enormous. Where did they all go? Certainly raised an eyebrow or two.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

What makes it nonsense here is that you can have a MH that is classed as 4/4 on the log book. Which means 4 can travel in it & it can sleep 4.
The important part is the 'travel' amount, which is on the log book. Unfortunately with older motorhomes ,like mine, they do not have rear seat belts, but you can still legally have 2 passengers in the back. These can be doing what they want. There is no requirement for them to be sitting down.
Not only is the dog meant to be secured safely in Spain, but so is anything else. Next door in Almeria they love anyone with something loose on a seat. Or the shopping !

Upvote 0

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
sdc77 – at first glance I thought it was our dog in the picture – ours travels on a seat watching the world go by, on a seat asleep similar to yours or on the floor.
If he comes up front to nudge us we know its time for a comfort break for him and a brew up for us.
It may not be PC for him to travel that way but for those who 'tut-tut' – have you weighed your MH recently to check it's legal?
I have – and it is.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
stevetracey

stevetracey

Free Member
Nov 11, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie November 2014
Thanks for all the feedback. Just need to find the best place to secure them. Or just leave them home for our son to look after!!!!

Upvote 0

pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have 2 dogs (black lab and a staffie). What is the best way to travel with them securely. We only have 2 side sofas with rear kitchen/toilet. Very new to MHing any help?????

Thanks
Steve
our two dogs go in the crate while we travel then it folds up and goes into the doorwell when we get there, you can get bigger ones,
SAM_2673.JPG
its secured with a strap aswell you could have two crates while traveling then just fold them up out of the way

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Because he's one of the family we made a non-negotiable decision to have the half-dinette option in our Autotrail so he can be seatbelted in in his harness. Wouldn't let the kids travel without a seatbelt and same for the dug!
Having said that, could you fit a seatbelt fitting to each side sofa solely for the dogs given their lighter mass than a person? You may have an issue if stopped by police though in explaining they are not approved fittings?

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
Great question! I've been wondering about this and we haven't even pushed the button on getting a dog yet.
We have 4 travelling seats in the rear, but they'll all be occupied with kids until my 14 year goes off to Uni / decides we're not cool.
Can you fix a dog harness to a central table leg safely (ie so as not to hurt the dog) and would this be considered law abiding, for European travel?

Upvote 0

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I have said many times ,when traveling all dogs should be caged for there and your safety and if you cannot anchor them i would have the cages on the floor tight up behind the two front seats held with straps or bungees in that way in case of an accident the cages may not take your head off.

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2014
Stockport Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Compass Advantgard
Exp
7 years
Hia

I have a cocker spaniel and she travels in her cage. When we arrive the cage is folded up and put under the van till time to go.
I was driving back from Southport once when I went to change gear and felt something furry, yes, our Izzy was out of her cage, so the next few minutes before I could stop was fairly scary as she was trying to get under my legs.
I stopped and put her back into her cage making sure that both bolt fasteners were fastened and that is how she travels

Upvote 0

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
Our Yorkies have a metal cage each on the sofa behind my seat, and they're wedged in with cushions or what have you so the cages don't move. They just go to sleep when we're travelling. This might not be so easy with big dogs though!

Upvote 0
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
We have 3 dogs, 2 large and 1 small. We have full dinette that we make up into bed and the 3 are harnessed in and lie down for the journey.(y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back