Traveling to Portugal in December (1 Viewer)

Barts

Free Member
May 5, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Hi
We would be very grateful for some advice as this is our first trip in Winter.
We would like any Campsites that will be open on route . We intend traveling on the motorway Roen ,Troyes ,Bordeaux and Irun. Any help or advice that you can give us would be much appreciated .

Kind regards
Barts

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
My route is listed in the resources section.
But what your asking for is maybe opposite to what others and myself do at that time of year.
We use aires, not many campsites open in winter and with cold weather and short days it makes sense to to keep going when you can and get south. Also most of the route is NON TOLL.. It can get expensive using pay motorways, in effect it's a bit silly to pay for toll roads and then loose time going off route and into campsites, unless there is a reason why you prefer to do that.
Good luck and safe trip anyway.

OP
OP
Barts

Barts

Free Member
May 5, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Thank you ,we will look at your route ,we thought going on motorways would be quicker and make driving easier .Also most Aires seem to have the water turned off .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Thank you ,we will look at your route ,we thought going on motorways would be quicker and make driving easier .Also most Aires seem to have the water turned off .

Fill with water before you leave UK, then carry a 5ltr bottle or just buy as you go along, lots of supermarkets along the way.
We have a 100ltr tank and thats more than enough to last us. Sometimes you will find water is on at Garages and also we have stopped at some rest areas where they have public toilets. Often you find a "potable/ drinking" water tap there as many truck drivers need a source of fresh water.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
If you do need a campsite, this one is on the N7 south of Troyes and open all year.
Used it several times as it's in a bit of a campsite desert and a welcome stop over, and it's a nice site.

La Ferme Des Hauts Frenes, Eaux Puiseaux.
48.11696 3.88317

OP
OP
Barts

Barts

Free Member
May 5, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Hi Tonka
Have looked at your route it looks excellent, please could you let me know how far you travelled each day and where you stopped each night on the way down . Hope this isn't too much trouble.

Kind regards

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Not a criticism but I think the OP has got his Troyes and his Tours mixed up.

If he heads for Troyes after what I think is Rouen, they'll take forever to get to Portugal.

Also, if they want a nice overnighter, they could do worse than Hondarribia, just over the border near Irun. The beach car park is huge and it's a nice town.

Enjoy!!!

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
Don't want to hijack this thread, but we too are off to Portugal next Tuesday and I have been looking for a route with stopovers as it is our first time into main land Europe. So we will now follow Tonka's route (if he has no objections) with first night stop at Buchy. May see you at some point Barts.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back