Traveling to Portugal in December

Discussion in 'France' started by Barts, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Barts

Barts Read Only Funster

Hi
    We would be very grateful for some advice as this is our first trip in Winter.
    We would like any Campsites that will be open on route . We intend traveling on the motorway Roen ,Troyes ,Bordeaux and Irun. Any help or advice that you can give us would be much appreciated .

Kind regards
    Barts

2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

My route is listed in the resources section.
    But what your asking for is maybe opposite to what others and myself do at that time of year.
    We use aires, not many campsites open in winter and with cold weather and short days it makes sense to to keep going when you can and get south. Also most of the route is NON TOLL.. It can get expensive using pay motorways, in effect it's a bit silly to pay for toll roads and then loose time going off route and into campsites, unless there is a reason why you prefer to do that.
    Good luck and safe trip anyway.

3. Barts

Barts Read Only Funster

Thank you ,we will look at your route ,we thought going on motorways would be quicker and make driving easier .Also most Aires seem to have the water turned off .

4. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Fill with water before you leave UK, then carry a 5ltr bottle or just buy as you go along, lots of supermarkets along the way.
    We have a 100ltr tank and thats more than enough to last us. Sometimes you will find water is on at Garages and also we have stopped at some rest areas where they have public toilets. Often you find a "potable/ drinking" water tap there as many truck drivers need a source of fresh water.

5. Barts

Barts Read Only Funster

Thanks very much for all your help much appreciated

6. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Now back in Sarfend for a couple of months.
    If you do need a campsite, this one is on the N7 south of Troyes and open all year.
    Used it several times as it's in a bit of a campsite desert and a welcome stop over, and it's a nice site.

La Ferme Des Hauts Frenes, Eaux Puiseaux.
    48.11696 3.88317

7. Barts

Barts Read Only Funster

Thank you

8. Barts

Barts Read Only Funster

Hi Tonka
    Have looked at your route it looks excellent, please could you let me know how far you travelled each day and where you stopped each night on the way down . Hope this isn't too much trouble.

Kind regards

9. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Not a criticism but I think the OP has got his Troyes and his Tours mixed up.

If he heads for Troyes after what I think is Rouen, they'll take forever to get to Portugal.

Also, if they want a nice overnighter, they could do worse than Hondarribia, just over the border near Irun. The beach car park is huge and it's a nice town.

Enjoy!!!

10. Goldenoldies

Goldenoldies Funster

Don't want to hijack this thread, but we too are off to Portugal next Tuesday and I have been looking for a route with stopovers as it is our first time into main land Europe. So we will now follow Tonka's route (if he has no objections) with first night stop at Buchy. May see you at some point Barts.