Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
... just want to point out that the flip flops should be worn and not eaten ... even though they'd likely have more 'meat' in them than the FB pies!:D
And not driving in them it's against the law!!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We take loads of dog food as one of ours is gluten intolerant and outside uk can only get food at the vet at enormous cost. We take tea bags as have found them expensive or only liptons elsewhere. Usually loads of bog rolls as swmbo reckons the euro stuff is flimsy.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Food wise; Apart from Tea Bags we take just enough for an emergency, generally a couple or three of the instant noodles, tinned stuff to pack them out varies, Tinned Mushroom, stewed steak, corned beef, the rest we buy fresh from the ubiquitous markets. Be game enough to try local produce. After all we don't just go overseas to "See the sights" No, tiz the sights AND the sounds AND the tastes, new experiences.
Don't take the UK with you when you go overseas, it'll still be here when you get back. Enjoy your trip(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We just take tea bags and enough food for one emergency meal, currently a couple of tins of cassoulet and they were bought in France.

France, Spain and Italy between them have the best food and the best produce in the world. Why would anyone want to cart a selection of the worst things UK supermarkets have to offer with them when they visit those countries?

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
We just take tea bags and enough food for one emergency meal, currently a couple of tins of cassoulet and they were bought in France.

France, Spain and Italy between them have the best food and the best produce in the world. Why would anyone want to cart a selection of the worst things UK supermarkets have to offer with them when they visit those countries?
Silly question, because we are British, and must keep to our high standards.:)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Hi We now have what my husband sees as the essentials for traveling to Spain. These are 2 Fray Bentos pies a tin of corned beef 3 tins of bisto and 2 tomato sauce bottles and lest we not forget his precious dogs 4 massive bags of dog food. Also several bottles of cider as he is from the West Country. Can anyone think of other essential items he may have forgotten?

A motorhome?

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
You can never take enough, as my mother told me when we took her and my dad to France a few years ago via the Chunnel. She took potatoes, carrots, and various other veg "just in case they don't have them in France."

She also refused to get out of the car in the tunnel carriage and insisted on keeping the windows shut, in case the tunnel leaked.

Jandc

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
lowprofile
Exp
Since 2008
Salt, pepper, a few spices, a tin of chopped tomatoes and other store cupbord such as soy sauce will make a meal out of anything

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
. Usually loads of bog rolls as swmbo reckons the euro stuff is flimsy.

Try this..................

images (2).jpg

Pete

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Elsan Blue - or similar - can be hard to find in some places in Spain

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Daddies or HP sauce. then if you are brave and try something that you then dont like the taste, easily sorted
plus as mentioned uk style bacon can be a real problem to source. you cant go away in the motorhome without bacon sandwiches with proper brown sauce

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Daddies or HP sauce. then if you are brave and try something that you then dont like the taste, easily sorted
plus as mentioned uk style bacon can be a real problem to source. you cant go away in the motorhome without bacon sandwiches with proper brown sauce

Ah yes, when travelling the Continent and you fancy a snack a bacon sarnie is the way to go but it must have HP Sauce on it - so very British - now where does that sauce come from? - oh yes, Netherlands :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We take loads of dog food as one of ours is gluten intolerant and outside uk can only get food at the vet at enormous cost. We take tea bags as have found them expensive or only liptons elsewhere. Usually loads of bog rolls as swmbo reckons the euro stuff is flimsy.

They sell the same toilet rolls in Lidle everywhere in Europe and it is excellent,,BUSBY.

GaryH61

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Horwich Greater Manchester AKA Lancs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Auto Stratus
Exp
Since 2014
Ah yes, when travelling the Continent and you fancy a snack a bacon sarnie is the way to go but it must have HP Sauce on it - so very British - now where does that sauce come from? - oh yes, Netherlands :)

HP Sauce, made by HP - No its now made by Heinz.... H J Heinz.... No Heinz Foods.... Heinz now part of Kraft ...

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
HP Sauce, made by HP - No its now made by Heinz.... H J Heinz.... No Heinz Foods.... Heinz now part of Kraft ...

:) Of course, if Teresa can't get an acceptable deal with the EU stocks of HP Sauce might be very sought after so maybe now is a good time to stock up.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Make sure you have something suitable for opening the Fray Bentos pies............preferably an angle grinder. :D
Has anyone found a can opener that will get into the bu@@ers?
We huffed and puffed trying to open one on our last trip and it was a real struggle with our bog standard opener.
Perhaps the champion pie eater @JJ can advise.

Richard.

OP
OP
J

Jayco

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
England
Funster No
MH
Jayco Greyhawk
Exp
20 years
Thank you all for your replies we have laughed so much reading your messages and some of your replies have been helpful as well. We are now in Portsmouth and are getting the ferry tomorrow night to Bilbao with Fray Bentos pies still in hand we should be easy to spot

GaryH61

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Horwich Greater Manchester AKA Lancs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Auto Stratus
Exp
Since 2014
:) Of course, if Teresa can't get an acceptable deal with the EU stocks of HP Sauce might be very sought after so maybe now is a good time to stock up.
now
It's not just HP you need to worry about; Cadbury: now Mondelez International; McVities, United Bicuits, Jacobs & KP : now Pladis;
Good old English Brands sold off to the highest bidder

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

My advice is to suggest, with the utmost respect of course, that if you are having difficulty operating a can opener, then maybe, at this moment, Fray Bentos pies are a tad beyond your culinary skill level.

May I recommend that you start out by opening a few, easy to open cans (using the ring pull) and then move upwards onto cans requiring an actual can opener.

I hope this helps...

JJ :cool:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Make sure you have something suitable for opening the Fray Bentos pies............preferably an angle grinder. :D
Has anyone found a can opener that will get into the bu@@ers?
We huffed and puffed trying to open one on our last trip and it was a real struggle with our bog standard opener.

Richard.
Our old fashioned tin opener, that I believe I inherited from my grandmother does the trick perfectly. These modern lateral cutters wont touch them ;-)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Our old fashioned tin opener, that I believe I inherited from my grandmother does the trick perfectly. These modern lateral cutters wont touch them ;-)

That sounds like yet another Urban Myth to me - there have been alledged reports of it happening but, following on from another thread, it's not a fact - just opinion.
As with gassing, Fray Bentos Tin Opening just doesn't happen! Snopes has been updated.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
That sounds like yet another Urban Myth to me - there have been alledged reports of it happening but, following on from another thread, it's not a fact - just opinion.
As with gassing, Fray Bentos Tin Opening just doesn't happen! Snopes has been updated.
Would you believe, there are actually instructional videos on you tube to tell you how to open a Fray Bentos with a lateral cutter:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back