Traveling around the Pyrenees , Best places to see and stop please (1 Viewer)

Feb 23, 2015
Winchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We will be traveling down through France ( stopping to see a friend nr Limoges on the way) to amble around the Pyrenees beginning of Sept.
Need the best places to stop in the Pyrenees mostly french, but may go over to the Spanish side. we love views, walking, quite places and quaint old villages.
Thanks.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We stayed in the valley of the vultures a couple of years ago. Vulture centre itself well worth a visit as have webcam on the nesting area. Valley d'ossau, stayed at the aire at Laruns ( village with bars and TO) and up to a lake at the top of the valley where you could also park up I think it was Artouste Fabergé's but haven't checked. We also stopped for lunch at Gourette by a waterfall. Lovely valley, we do plan to go there again.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Try this one,you will not be disappointed.

www.camping-pyrenees-natura.com/fr/?lang=en

If this link does not work,just type in Camping park natura pyrenees.
Walks from site,5 min jingle up the road,takes you to Lac D Estaing ? Various walks signposted from here with approx journey times.
Site ? As clean as a whistle, owners could not be more helpfull
CAUTION>
As you are getting near the site,a sign post to the village appears,IGNORE that,keep on the main road for a while,and you will see another post,with "Coaches lac d Estaing" go up there,you will eventually come to a T junction,tirn right,up there,the site is on your right,and the lake ...+5 mins.When we went,we had a Twin axle "Gin Palace skeggy box" Read the then advice,and it had a restriction on C/v length,so gave them a ring,he said come ahead via the bus route,thats how they got some statics up there
Use ALL cards ACSI-CC-ADAC etc. Enjoy.
Tea Bag.
PS. They had just opened a tunnel through the Pyri whatsits, while we were there,it was? free,comes out in Spain (Nr Jaca ?),but a ride over the top is very good as well,did that on a bike what seems like a hundred years ago LOL
PPS. You are not far from Lourdes,call in coming or going ? Argells Gazost ? spelling is nice to.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Lourdes - Disneyland for Catholics, but worth a visit. Could be packed this time of year.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I loved Lourdes and I'm not a Catholic. Was described to me as Blackpool with religion. visited several times while we lived about 90 minutes drive away and enjoyed the atmosphere. Those teenagers who volunteer to push wheelchair users and run for candles, drinks etc.. In over 40C are stars.
Foix is worth a visit.
Le Pic du Midi. Go up in the cable car. Stunning views and you may sight Eagles.
Lac Bleu, camping allowed for 48 hours and then it's a 2 hour hike to the lake.
Cannot recall the location of the cave system we visited. I'll post if it comes back to me. You have to book as number of people admitted is limited.

It's all beautiful. Best place I've ever lived and wish we were still "we" and living there still.

OP
OP
Mici
Feb 23, 2015
Winchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
wow - thanks everyone , looks like we may need more than two weeks down there , interesting that the Spanish side has better weather.
Keep the suggestions coming- I have the map out and I am already marking up!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
wow - thanks everyone , looks like we may need more than two weeks down there , interesting that the Spanish side has better weather.
Keep the suggestions coming- I have the map out and I am already marking up!
The Pyrenees are a great area, these pictures are from an earlier trip which you can find described if you click on the B on my avatar and then scroll right through the first blog to almost the end where there is another blog called Two Go to Spain.

P9170091-enhanced.jpg

And some locals...

P9170082-enhanced.jpg

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
For a one or two day visit try the city of Pau. A walk along the boulevard de pyrenees should get some excellent photos of the mountain range.

A castle and lots of shopping. Free parking available at place de verdun and a short walk into the city centre. (Approx 7-8 mins)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
If the weather in France in September is bad and you decide to go over to Spain (could still be verrry hot there then) the Mallos of Riglos is worth visiting if you go through the Somport tunnel. There are parking areas near the village and motorhomes are allowed to overnight. We were there last Friday but it was toooo hot to stay.

Other good areas in the Spanish Pyrenees are Ordessa National park and Aguestortes National Park.

IMG_20160729_125559593.jpg

Mallos de Riglos

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008

Attachments

• DSC_0058.jpg
    DSC_0058.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 26
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Second that.
Lovely site and nice people. We may go back there ourselves in a few weeks time.
As Tea Bag says, Lac D'Estaing is stunning. We spent two nights wilding there a couple of years ago.
Hi Clarky.
That shot brings back memories,in your photo,the then..younger growler..LOL,insisted on swimming down in the direction of your m/h,same side,she is getting on now,and i think the weight of her wet fur,would drag her down....sad,she loved swimming. There was a lovely walk up the otherside,going back up,away from your m/h.
A mate went on our reco. one year,and went back the next,will we be "Bach...LOL". YES. Cannot put pics on site,but i have a super one of our outfit and the view it commanded from the front windows..you could not buy it.
Glad you enjoyed it as well.
Tea Bag.
PS. Was the little "Well" building there,with several foodstuff items that may be needed out of shop hours,that you could go and fetch stuff from and pay in the morning ? Oh,first wife has just said "It's 2016 NOW!! LOL"

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Was the little "Well" building there,with several foodstuff items that may be needed out of shop hours,that you could go and fetch stuff from and pay in the morning ?
Oh yes, the 'hypermarket' at Camping Natura.
Rickety stone floor where you could see the water rushing past underneath. Collect what you wanted, weigh the fruit and veg yourself, then go to reception to pay when they were next open.
Did you try the takeaway meals that they had prepared by a local chef and frozen. Just order in advance and collect in the evening, take your own dish or plate for the chips. Yum,yum!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We stayed in quite a few places in the Pyrenees around March this year. Favourite was the aire at Payolle. Great views of Pic du Midi du Bigore, aire is next to a large leisure lake with lots of walks and cattle with bells wandering around.
Then take a drive over Col d'Aspin for some spectacular views and an interesting drive. The tunnel to Spain is close by too.

View from the Col....
image.jpeg

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
We went on this http://about-france.com/tourism/yellow-train-pyrenees.htm. Great fun, beautiful scenery and there was snow on the mountains. A must for any train fancier, but worth it for just the journey. Big car park for campers at the Villefranche station, Aires & campsites nearby, as is a medievial town & fort.

102931483.jpg

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back