Travel to southern Ireland (1 Viewer)

Apr 8, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
PVC conversion
Exp
30+ years
Hi all. Daughter has chosen to marry a lovely Irish lad, so travelling to Killarney later in the year. Doing a 'bit of a detour' from Scotland to Hull (dog kennels!), then on to Holyhead, to Dublin via ferry and on to Killarney. Any tips on sites near Hull, Dublin and Killarney?

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
I think Dublin has to be CAMAC and if you have any TESCO vouchers they help with the ferry fare. The Irish Tourist people will send you a booklet with all the campsites - have a GOOGLE and enjoy.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The trouble with the CAMAC site is it is so far out of town,, Having said that there is a bus stop right outside the gate and the service is excellent.. 3 € each way

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
north of Dublin is Howth 53.38978 -6.07197 and you can park on the pier, good restaurants and a easy walk to the Dart railway if you want to go into Dublin,
Toilets nearby and water available near were the fishermen drop there catch,
we have stayed there a few times as it's only about 30 Minutes north of Dublin ferry port,

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi all. Daughter has chosen to marry a lovely Irish lad, so travelling to Killarney later in the year. Doing a 'bit of a detour' from Scotland to Hull (dog kennels!), then on to Holyhead, to Dublin via ferry and on to Killarney. Any tips on sites near Hull, Dublin and Killarney?
Alright I'll ask ... why are you coming to Hull for dog kennels????

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
What does the ferry from Holyhead to southern Ireland cost return? Can you get discount through The Clubs?

OP
OP
Tarn2
Apr 8, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
PVC conversion
Exp
30+ years
Thanks for all your replies. Dublin is only going to be an overnight each way as we want to press on to Killarney on the way there and Hull on the way back.
Mindy Girl - long story, only doing as I'm told:unsure:. Dog 'has to be left' with someone we know as all the family will be going to Ireland for the wedding and the breeder is actually in Beverley. Too many risks with rabies vaccination apparently, so dog can't come with us.

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Took our two dogs last year, no checks, no problem. Stayed in the Moho during the crossing. Camac Valley has a big dog run in the park next door. They have pet passports as they cross the channel with us, but it is literally drive on, drive off on on arrival and return.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Took our two dogs last year, no checks, no problem. Stayed in the Moho during the crossing. Camac Valley has a big dog run in the park next door. They have pet passports as they cross the channel with us, but it is literally drive on, drive off on on arrival and return.
How long is the crossing? I didn't know you could stay in the MOHO during the crossing. was it noisy?

Lookaround

Free Member
Sep 23, 2015
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2004
No pet passports needed between the UK and Ireland. Once they know you have a dog on board they usually position those vehicles away from the trucks - as I say 'usually'. I've done those crossings many times with a dog and have never had any issues - in fact I'll be crossing from Fishguard to Rosslare on Tuesday with dog on board.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
How long is the crossing? I didn't know you could stay in the MOHO during the crossing. was it noisy?
I suspect that's the dogs, not you. So you need dogs that can be left for a few hours without ripping the MOHO to bits in your absence!

I think Holyhead to Dublin is around 4 hours, from memory.

Lookaround

Free Member
Sep 23, 2015
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2004
About 4 hours on the normal ferry but there are 'Fast' ones too that take much less time but they are weather dependent and might also have size restrictions but I'm not sure about that.

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Technically you should have a passport, but no one is bothered it seems. Yes, dogs in the moho not us. 1 hr 39 on fast ferry, 3hr 19 on the standard one.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Technically you should have a passport, but no one is bothered it seems.
I wouldn't want to take the risk. My dog means too much to me to take a chance that she might be quarantined, no matter how unlikely that is. We got her a passport because we're considering a trip to Ireland (and are going to France later this year anyway). Cost us half an hour of our time and £100 for peace of mind.

Oct 28, 2011
west midlands
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
new
I recall someone saying that to get the most from Tesco vouchers, it pays to book your outward trip separately from your return trip. I found that when you book online, the page asks you if you are booking with Tesco vouchers, and the price inflates accordingly ! I noticed this about 3 years ago when I used £20 of vouchers to book our trip to Ireland and friends asked me to book theirs, but without vouchers. I took advantage of Tesco's triple value for Irish Ferries, but instead of the £60 I received, I actually only saved the original £20 worth of vouchers against our friend's tickets. Incidentally, we had the same set up to travel with and just the two of us in each van, on the same ferry. I've since read of similar incidents of folk being ripped off like this.

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
We had a wonderful time in Ireland with our motorhome and toad. Ireland is not very motorhome friendly. not many laybys and most carparks have height barriers. Also a lot of 'no over night parking' signs. We were told however, that the police are not really interested in good UK registered motorhomes.
have a great time

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back